Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pillage - Destroy this coin to take an open coin belonging to any other player and place it in the aft of your own ship."

What? Do the Designer and Atlas Games really think I'm going to give one of my coins to another player? Is this supposed to be a permanent transfer of coin ownership? The rules don't make it clear that coins should be returned to their owner at the end of the game. Shades of MtG Ante! And even if coins are supposed to be returned after a game, it will be easy to forget/overlook doing so.

This coin power is just a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good concept in theory, but not so much on the execution... For the reasons you state.

I like the concept of coin/stack/ship manipulation, but given the very short game timeframe and limited stack size, it doesn't work quite as well as I would have hoped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept too, but also feel that game is "missing" something that I can't put my finger on... I'm also concerned that there may be a "perfect" unbeatable combination of coins... It seems to me that some coins are obviously better than others and any "deck" of coins that doesn't include the maximum number of Mates, Pistols and Cutlasses is going to be at a disadvantage. But maybe that's just my inexperience with this game showing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it is inexperience. That's not a hard deck to beat. For one thing, by hitting your Mates, I can force you to destroy coins whenever you attack - if we're both losing coins, you're not gaining an advantage. The game is pretty well balanced, I've found - there are some tough combos, but no invincible ships that I've seen.

On Pillage...it's such a useful coin, I hate to say that it should be removed. You just need to remember the 2 or 3 coins that your opponent took. It should be pretty easy - remember, you both start with 13 coins. Just count your coins, and if you have less than 13, figure out what you're missing. It's certainly not comparable to gambling or anteing for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Tidball
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:
Do the Designer and Atlas Games really think I'm going to give one of my coins to another player? Is this supposed to be a permanent transfer of coin ownership?

Oh, no, we're definitely not suggesting a permanent transfer. In one playtest version of the rules, that was stated explicitly, but I eliminated that text when we were trying to tighten the rules, and it seemed redundant with the note in the Match Play section about Pillaged coins returning to their owners' shipyards between games.

I'd be thrilled if someone came up with a good idea as to how to mark Pillaged coins to help remember to return them. The best idea I could come up with was to mark them with a grease pencil or crayon, but that seemed like more trouble than it was worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JTidball wrote:
Oh, no, we're definitely not suggesting a permanent transfer. In one playtest version of the rules, that was stated explicitly, but I eliminated that text when we were trying to tighten the rules, and it seemed redundant with the note in the Match Play section about Pillaged coins returning to their owners' shipyards between games.

I'd be thrilled if someone came up with a good idea as to how to mark Pillaged coins to help remember to return them. The best idea I could come up with was to mark them with a grease pencil or crayon, but that seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Dang! I must have missed that reference somehow. Probably in too much of a hurry to play the game!

I feel better about Pillage now that I know the intent is that the coin be returned to the owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have our own sets. I am tempted on puting a dot of nail polish on one of the sets (on the back side, in a indented part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Tidball
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
My wife and I have our own sets. I am tempted on puting a dot of nail polish on one of the sets (on the back side, in a indented part).

That's a good idea. If you have friends with more sets who you play with regulary, you could use different colors, to keep everyone's sets straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.