Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are lots of games that are based on Britannia. You can find most of them here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16644 or here: http://spotlightongames.com/list/b-style.html.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, well, actually most of those games are a bit difficult to obtain. I have been fortunate enough (well, most people wouldn't care one bit) to have found a second-hand Hispania in the Joker in Utrecht (25 euros is a fair price, I guess). Brittania for me is, though not the first, the grandmother of 'm all.

I own History of the World, home-made Mesopotamia: Birth of Civilisation (nice game, BTW) and Vinci too, but I guess they differ already too much to be on the Brit list. However, if you would assign the peoples to the players beforehand in HotW and Mesop, would they THEN apply for the list?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be part of a larger debate various folk have had on what constitutes a Brit-like game essentially. HOTW and Mesop are HOTW-like games.

This covers nation allocation, but also the economics, conflicts, specific VPs, feel, terrain and so on.

Mesop takes a few small steps towards Brit with some specific national scoring and allowing play of nations after their first turn, but is still not too reminiscent of Brit yet.

Even so, a Brit-like game could omit something like fixed national coalitions, if enough of the other factors were similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you omit the set sides (using my drafting rules posted on FFG's site and elsewhere), is Brit still a Brit-like game? devil I suppose you'd say yes, Stgeve, and so would I.

I suppose someday I ought to haul out my list of characteristics of Britannia and see what people think.

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you omit the set sides (using my drafting rules posted on FFG's site and elsewhere), is Brit still a Brit-like game?

I'd say yes. And why? Although the allocation of the peoples is not set, you know BEFORE play what peoples and reinforcements you will get. Strategy can be adapted, and is possible in the first place. In HotW and Mesop this is not or only partially the case (in Mesop you know once you have the Asssyrians you will get more Assyrians by turn 5), and therefore they're not Brit-like.

IF this were a characteristic of Brit-like games, then Vinci is also NOT a Brit-like game.

But hey, who gives a darn; we like to play!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd never list Vinci as a Brit-like game, though it is a "sweep of history" game--despite having no history...

HotW seems to be on the edge of Brit-like, I'd say no but I could see arguing yes.

The obviously Brit-like games have an awful lot of characteristics in common with Brit. Maharaja is a SLAVISH copy of many of the characteristics. *I* can't bring myself to design one as much like Brit as Mah. is.

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith nellist
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of the fantasy world of Glorantha, and have been adapting the Britannia model for various areas in the world - starting with the History of Peloria, then the "Composite History of Dragon Pass". I've got "Prax", the "History of Kethaela" and "Fronela" in the pipeline. (it's a slow and clogged pipeline). When I say Britannia model I'm having a fixed number of players with un-allied nations, each with seperate victory point conditions and a fixed timeline of when they appear and such. The turns vary between 40 and 100 years depending on the game, to get to c.16 turns.

Sometimes I've ditched certain rules and added others, to try to achieve some specific thing. I am certain that the scoring systems and therefore chances of victory are not balanced for each player. I'd need some serious playtesting to work that out. It has been a fun, creative (map creation, game design problems) and challenging exercise, that has been a good way to understand the (admittedly, made up) history of a region.

One thing it did make me think was that in some situations "combat" must represent cultural (legal, technical, political) supremacy as well as purely military victory.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.