Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For those who love trades, Matthew Gray has created an automated way of finding chains of game trades, called Value Loops.

All you have to do is add a line of text in the condition field of each of the games on your trade list and your want list.

Steps:

1. Go to your trade list.
2. Click on the condition box for the first item on that summary page. (This is often the lower right of each game line. It is blank, but if you mouseover, it appears grey & if you click, you can enter text there.)
3.Type "offervalue:" [without the quotation marks]
4. Highlight that text and copy it (Ctrl-C).
5. Add value after the colon.
6. Click Save
7. Go to the condition box on the next item and paste the copied text (Ctrl + v) - Enter amount - Save - Repeat for each item on list.

-> Do the same with wantvalue: on your wantlist

To find possible trade loops, once you've marked your games, you go to the Value Loop tool ( http://boardgamestuff.com/cgi/valueloop ) and enter your BGG username.

For more information on the tool and Value Loops, check here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137326

FYI - Unlike results from math trades, these are *potential* trades - you are not in any way obligated to trade when a loop is found.

Sorry if you already knew this, but that post is getting buried in the daily deluge & deserves more attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, this should be a sticky in the trade forum. Also, it would be helpful if the topic creator edited his post to explain what to do, then provide the link for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You left out one very important step:
Quote:
Once you've marked your games, you go to the Value Loop tool and enter your username:

http://boardgamestuff.com/cgi/valueloop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

3.Type "Offervalue:" [without the quotation marks]

Quick correction: It was recently determined that you have to use lowercase letters for offervalue and wantvalue.

If you've added the notation and your searches aren't working, that's the first thing I'd check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lot
United States
Paradise Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been used successfully? How did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found a multi-person chain yet, but it did identify a potential two-person trade for me. We're working out the details, but I think we're going to have a deal very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
grandslam wrote:
3.Type "offervalue:" [without the quotation marks]
4. Highlight that text and copy it (Ctrl-C).
5. Add value after the colon.

System won't generate results for you if you forget step 5 (my emphasis).
Same applies for wantvalue

The point of the system is to find trades that YOU value similarly. As long as you are internally consistent - it will work.

Here is Matthew's example:
Quote:
Kingdoms (wantvalue:10)
GIPF (wantvalue:15)
We the People (wantvalue:60)

Mystery on the Nile (offervalue:15)
Trump: The Game (offervalue: 10)
Funkenschlag (offervalue:50)
Poisson d'Avril (offervalue:100)

This means
- I am willing to trade "Trump: The Game" in exchange for any of the 3 games I want (10 is lower than or equal to all the want values).
- I am willing to trade Mystery on the Nile for GIPF or We the People
- I am willing to trade Funkenschlag only for We The People
- I am currently unwilling to trade Poisson d'Avril (no wantvalue greater than or equal to 100)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Here is Matthew's example:
Quote:
Kingdoms (wantvalue:10)
GIPF (wantvalue:15)
We the People (wantvalue:60)

Mystery on the Nile (offervalue:15)
Trump: The Game (offervalue: 10)
Funkenschlag (offervalue:50)
Poisson d'Avril (offervalue:100)

This means
- I am willing to trade "Trump: The Game" in exchange for any of the 3 games I want (10 is lower than or equal to all the want values).
- I am willing to trade Mystery on the Nile for GIPF or We the People
- I am willing to trade Funkenschlag only for We The People
- I am currently unwilling to trade Poisson d'Avril (no wantvalue greater than or equal to 100)

Does it have to be a 1-for-1 trade, or will the engine combine multiple games' values? For example, if you had Kingdoms @ 40 in your example, would Kingdoms + GIPF come out as a possible trade for Funkenschlag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

Does it have to be a 1-for-1 trade, or will the engine combine multiple games' values? For example, if you had Kingdoms @ 40 in your example, would Kingdoms + GIPF come out as a possible trade for Funkenschlag?

Not currently, though I may add that in the future. If someone else wants to write the algorithm, they are free to. It uses all standard features of the XML API, plus a few to-be-documented features. Of course, it will generate 1-to-1-to-1 trades (ie, loops).

Here's a really quick documentation of the additional XML API features that make this possible:

/xmlapi/collection now takes a parameter "anytrade" which if set to 1, returns all games you want or have for trade.

/xmlapi/trades/GAMEID returns a list of users who want GAMEID. If you add the parameter "valued=1", it only includes users who have made the wantvalue annotation. This feature hasn't been propagated to all the servers yet, and only works on wallace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want to check your values, go here and enter your BGG username: http://mkgray.com:8000/cgi/valuelist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about implementing a text box that appears when you check "Want this in trade" that would prompt you to put in your wantvalue? The same could be done when you check have this for trade. This might alleviate some confusion about the proper syntax.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice, if it's possible, to exclude countries.
I'm from germany and there are so many value loopers from the US...

Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a direct link to this somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that this is a silly question, but will this tool recognize possible trades involving multiple games? (e.g. 3 games of offervalue:10 for one game of wantvalue:30). Obviously, I'm looking to unload a bunch of these FFG silver line games that I took a chance on.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Yes - it is in the first post in this thread:

Quote:
To find possible trade loops, once you've marked your games, you go to the Value Loop tool ( http://boardgamestuff.com/cgi/valueloop ) and enter your BGG username.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since this thread started I have been curious if it was going to catch on. Is there evidence that this is getting popular (e.g. are there geeklists being generated to track these trades or are there stats on how often the value loop program gets run, etc.)?

I am wondering if I should go ahead and invest the effort to put the notations on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I actually just removed all my notations. It is a great idea, but there continue to be sufficient math trades to help get these multiple trades run.

I might change my mind if Matthew decides to re-invest his time and efforts into the tool, but as I haven't seen that, I concluded this was a good idea that just didn't catch on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a very good idea, but it seems like the tool has been taken offline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
I thought it was a very good idea, but it seems like the tool has been taken offline.

I'm running the tool right now. Doesn't appear to be offline to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right - it's working. It wasn't working for three days before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to take these same annotations and run them through TradeMaximizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
It would be interesting to take these same annotations and run them through TradeMaximizer.

Indeed. I use the notations, but I can never interpret the output from this application. Needs to be a bit more friendly. It seems the previous owner gave up on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post about this today as well. Has anyone heard from Matt Gray, the owner of the "Value Loops" process?

It seems like the website that was hosting it is now down.
I also have tried to contact him on the geek, and no reply....

I believe his Geek ID is: mkgray1

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
He's probably at BGG.con this weekend. I wouldn't expect an answer soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are automated trade chains still available on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.