Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This month is the 10-year anniversary of the founding of Red Storm Entertainment. As a commemoration, I’m doing a two-parter on my experience as lead designer on Tom Clancy’s Politika. Not a well-rated or beloved game by any stretch, but I thought that relating our experience would help any aspiring designers out there to avoid the mistakes we made. This week I’m covering the things that I thought didn’t go so well — tune into the previous episode to hear the game description and the things that I thought succeeded.

You can find this show and many others at:

http://www.thevintagegamer.net

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both the board and PC version of this game. I still have the PC game but haven't been able to get this to work. Is there a trick that will get this game to play with newer systems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there's no quick fix. The PC/Mac game was written in Java, and depends on the Microsoft Java VM that came with Internet Explorer 5 (and whatever Java VM that worked with Mac OS 8.6). In fact, when IE 6 came out (a week after our game shipped), we discovered that it broke the game and we had to patch it. With later Java updates, Politika just slipped into unusability.

I was working on a version that would work regardless of what Java version was running just to figure out how to do it, but got distracted by other things.

In any case, the multiplayer wouldn't work, as the lobby server has been down for years and we never provided LAN support.

Thanks for asking, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the computer and the board game (my copy was the one in the BGG.con library this year) in my collection. I enjoyed the inside story of the design. At some point, maybe I can hear the story of the book tie-in and everything else.

As a big Kremlin fan, I thought that the premise of Politika had a lot of promise. I think that there is still a good game in there, trying to get out - I just have not figured out what is needed to make it work for me. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.