Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] wargames [+] [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
To me, having a wargame be card driven is a means to flesh out the events that took place while the conflict raged on. A clever way of providing the game with a script while not scripting the player's actions. In other words, I loves me some card driven wargames.

So, uhm, this may be a dumb question but why limit these games to real world history? Who else would love to see the war taking place in a Song of Ice and Fire in a CDWG? Wheel of Time would be another good one. Plenty of different factions ands battles in there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, no. Well...here's the long answer.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13939

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how BattleLore falls into all this. I'm not exactly up to date on my wargamer terminology, but is it considered card-driven or no (cards used for unit activation, dice for combat resolution). Or is the fact that it's small tactical battles rather than largescale wars?

Now, I know BL isn't based on any *established* fantasy literature. But I would bet on fan-made scenarios aplenty (probably starting with Tolkien and spreading outwards to other fantasy fandoms).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Merriman
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is an amazing idea. While I like War of the Ring, a CD version would be awesome. Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, Star Wars, anything with an established piece of fiction and an extended conflict represented therein.

GMT, I command you to get some publishing rights for this purpose...oh that's the problem. Historical stuff is public domain, but a portion of the profits from a fiction-based game would be flushed to licensing. Boooooo hiiisssssss, down with copyright law when it gets in the way of my enjoyment!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a space game is a better idea than a fantasy game for some of the reasons talked about here and in the linked GL above. But licensing costs for known worlds are high...Maybe Babylon 5? But even there, you'd probably have to wait 3-5 years till nobody really cared any more before you could bring out a CDG.

Edit: Mark, if I was inclined to be pedantic about classifications I think the likely answer to your question would be "No" for the reasons you cite--the C&C games are basically tactical and the cards have much less of a "storyboard" component to them than they do in most CDGs. Of course, it's all a matter of degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider War of the Rings to be card-driven, although just barely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron It depends on the strictness of your definition of "wargame". Applying a fairly loose definition, I would argue that both A Game of Thrones and War of the Ring are card-driven wargames. But just be aware, hex-and-counter simulations these AIN'T. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Can't speak for Game of Thrones (although I highly doubt it it's CDWG) but War of the Ring is not what I'm talking about. If anything, that's dice driven.

It's that very specific gameplay of getting a hand of cards and either playing a card for it's event or operations value on your turn that I'm after.

Oh yeah, and unless GMT has some type of patent on that type of game (which I don't think is possible) there's nothing stopping Fantasy Flight from doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I'm not sure how BattleLore falls into all this. I'm not exactly up to date on my wargamer terminology, but is it considered card-driven or no (cards used for unit activation, dice for combat resolution). Or is the fact that it's small tactical battles rather than largescale wars?

Yep, it's the fact that it's small tactical battles. Altough BattleLore is something I probably will end up getting I won't be getting it to satisfy the itch I expressed for a fictional CDWG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
While I like War of the Ring, a CD version would be awesome. Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, Star Wars, anything with an established piece of fiction and an extended conflict represented therein.

Ah hell yeah. Maybe some day we can play a card titled "luke, I am you father" in a CDWG and it'll remove the Luke Skywalker counter from the game till the end of the turn but when it returns it's a different counter with better stats. Eff yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.