Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indicated that 5 people own this expansion. Being that it will not be released until the Summer of 2007 or so, how do they own the game?

In addition, someone gave it a "6" rating without explanation. Yes, I know, this is the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "On Preorder" check box, so when i place a preorder for a game, I add it to both my games owned and my wishlist, so that i can look at all my games on preorder by going to my collection, and setting both "Owned" and "Wishlist" to "Yes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
There is no "On Preorder" check box, so when i place a preorder for a game, I add it to both my games owned and my wishlist, so that i can look at all my games on preorder by going to my collection, and setting both "Owned" and "Wishlist" to "Yes".

I bow before your wisdom. That's a great trick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

I just use wishlist level 5 to represent games that are pre-orderd. that level is 'don't buy for me" so it works nicely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand, it just seemed a little odd to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
kenntak wrote:
It is indicated that 5 people own this expansion. Being that it will not be released until the Summer of 2007 or so, how do they own the game?

I'm more concerned that two people have rated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make that 3 people have rated it. This is totally ridiculous and shows what a mockery some of these ratings can be. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah-- In other circumstances, I might question rating a single, public forum playtest experience-- especially since it raises questions on what sort of components were being used? Minies? Blocks similar to what will really come in the game? Games can change a lot between playtest and production. Still, giving a positive rating under those circumstances feels better than a negative-- I can think of several games which playtesters really hated early on but which good development turned into gems.

Still, he did qualify the entry-- We don't know if the other two guys can see into the future, if they are rating whether or not they agree with the IDEA of the expansion and what's in it...or if they're even paying attention to what they're rating at all.

But it seems to me like having a rating system before the game is released is dubious and-- in a marketing way-- unfair. Low ratings like these will impact the early "score" when honest ratings come up.

I haven't spent much time with BGG ratings (and this is another reason not to) but I'm curious what personal benefit a person gets from rating a game he won't even see for a long time? Is there some sort of points earned system? I don't pay much attention to "Geek gold" either... but if people earn gold for rating games that are not out and games they don't own... and, come to think of the threat title, can look like owners of games that aren't out yet...If that's the case, then I guess the system has been set up in a way that encourages nonsense.

Sort of an indictment of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.