Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: origins [+] convention [+] [View All]
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three hotels connected to the convention center are already filled. Origins is seven months away! Do I have to book a room a year in advance for a convention? I was so looking forward to going, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more hotels than just those three. If you stay in the convention center area, there are a lot more, and they have a free shuttle making the curcuit to all the hotels and the convention center.

I usually stay about 7 blocks away, nice 20 minute walk in the morning and evening giving you your only chance to see the sun/smell fresh air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did start to look at other hotels but I don't know that I'm prepared to pay $200/night. Not when the hotels attached to the convention center were listing rates about half that.

But really -- is it common for a hotel to fill up seven months before a games convention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enfanta wrote:

But really -- is it common for a hotel to fill up seven months before a games convention?

Try booking a room for GenCon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this true??? If so then what a bummer!

I just finished planning my conventions for the year, and Origins was one of the “must attends”. But if all the hotels are really booked up already then - unless someone needs a roommate - regretfully, it’ll have to go onto the “forget about it” list.

This is why I’m really not that hot on ever going to GenCon - you have to jump through far too many hoops to get there. (OK, and also I hear that open gaming there is somewhere between inconvenient and discouraged – and it certainly was that way at the one GenCon LA I went to. And open gaming is what I personally enjoy the most at a con.)

Hey, good for Origins, though. I’m glad games are popular enough to draw such a huge (and apparently fanatic) crowd for them. But it’s utterly unfeasible for me to plan – and commit - my life a full year in advance. (I was pushing it just trying to plan far enough in advance to go in 2007!) So I guess it’ll have to be one of those experiences I might never get to enjoy.

Oh well.

There are still enough events available that a gamer can get into without having to resort to drastic and irrational measures. And some of them (BoardGameGeek.CON being the best example) are awesome. And when it becomes impossible to get into those, (Aldie, don’t ever let it happen!) I’m sure there will be others.

So I guess I’ll see you geeks next year at BoardGameGeek.CON in Dallas... or at GenghisCon in Denver... or KhublaCon up in the bay area... or at one of the Strategicons over in LA... or one of the ConQuest cons out here on the left coast somewhere... or maybe even PolyCon over in San Louis Obispo... (Does anyone know anything about that one?)

Anyway...

If I were to get the chance to come “out east” next year, what cons (that I didn’t need to register for last year) would you folks recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enfanta wrote:
I did start to look at other hotels but I don't know that I'm prepared to pay $200/night. Not when the hotels attached to the convention center were listing rates about half that.

It's not at all unusual for Origins hotels to fill up early. Last year, there were 9 hotels within 7 blocks that had convention rates and 2 more with shuttles to the hotel. All were under $130. Several were less than the attached hotels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw this thread, I panicked and called the Hyatt Regency, which is attached to the convention center (I called the hotel directly as opposed to the 1-800 Hyatt general number for reservations). I got a room for July 4-8 with no problem, and the woman I talked to did not seem to be worried abut the hotel being packed. I am a Hyatt Gold Passport member (NOTHING to be impressed about; I just got into that situation by staying at the Hyatt for the last 6-8 Origins there). You might want to call again and see of they have any Origins rooms open; the rate for them was $116 a night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the wonderful world of Priceline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gencon hotels sell out in hours once housing opens now, it's insane. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HOT DOG!

Got me a room at the Hyatt for $116/night! Thank you for mentioning that you called the hotel directly: I've been going through the websites. I had called the Drury thinking that the "sold out" notice didn't apply to Origins folks, but they assured me it is full. So then I assumed that all the websites with "sold out" were well and truly sold out. Not so! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Robert!! I’m in at the Hyatt! And thank you Amy for the heads-up on the scarcity of rooms. So I do get to experience Origins 2007 after all. (Although I guess I did write my whole previous rant for nothing now. Oh well, it feels good to that once in a while.)

However, now I’m looking for a roommate - for the nights of July 4, 5, 6 & 7. (I wanted to get there the night before the action started – even though it means traveling the Fourth of July.)

Does anyone have any tips before I register for the con? (Don’t tell me they run out of badges seven months in advance too...) Origins is the con where CABS sponsors the boardgame room, isn’t it? Anything else I need to know?

Also, I’d still be interested in info about any cons that I should keep my eye on just in case I find the time/money to make more than one trip east of the Great Plains next year. Who can give me the low-down on the following cons? (And which ones have the best open gaming and/or board gaming in general?):

Atlanta Game Fest
UberCon
ConnCon
World Boardgaming Championships
ConGlomeration
Dragon*Con
Buckeye Game Fest

Are there any other cons I should consider?

PS: I know that GenCon-Indy is horrendously bigger than their effort in LA was, but other than that, can anyone convince me that it would be worth the effort to get registered and the cost of making the trip? (And I actually would like to be convinced, too.) Is open gaming at the Indy con as difficult as I’ve heard?

I tried to go last year, but never had the slightest chance at all of getting a hotel at the convention center. (And I’m just not interested in walking a few blocks or taking a shuttle back and forth.) When does registration for their rooms start, anyway?

Does anybody have any advice or ideas to offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW if you think you'll spend a lot of time in the War or Board Rooms, you might want to consider staying at the Hampton Inn, as it is actually much closer to those rooms than any of the ones attached to the convention center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins is a goal of mine for 2007, but I have to wait a little to see how the rest of the summer fills out before I can make a reservation. My fallback is that some of my wife's family lives in the Columbus area and also, I can always a camp - an idea I know some people use at GenCon.

Comment on open gaming at any con. Good, timely, information that everyone knows and understands and organization seems to be scarce at the cons I've attended. I lean toward the introvert side of things and have to be bolder and ask questions or just introduce myself to people and start a conversation and then ask, "Would you like to play a game?"

GenCon open gaming in 2006 was disappointing to me, but I didn't really know the setup and what the difference between the big room and the smaller adjacent room was. Both rooms had scheduled events most of the day where they were collecting tickets ($1.50) in order for you to play. Having scheduled events helps the gamer who comes to a con alone and wants to schedule their day out - if that's you, then GenCon might work.

IF you're looking to buy or bring a game to play, then you just need to work the system. You can game at the CON after the ticketed events die down (usually after 9PM), you can game in the concession table area (common areas), you can search out a hotel that has tables set up for open gaming, or game in your own room.

From what I hear they are doing a remodel at the Indy convention center in 2007 so space might be a little more limited thanin the past - at least until the remodel is done. This could change if the GenCon board game room organizers set aside tables for open gaming like they have promised they would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Peter. But The Hyatt is a few dollars less (I’m such a cheapskate) and it has a restaurant and bar (a big Origins hangout, according to the site).

Chris, you’re starting to make GenCon sound a little tempting – especially if they’re going to set aside an open gaming area. (Of course I still have to figure out how to fit it into my vacation time/budget.)

When do they start registration and room reservations? All I can remember from last year is that it was months in advance and that everything disappeared before I even had a chance to get registered for the con – which was required to get a room, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Hampton Inn...is actually much closer to [the board room] than any of the ones attached to the convention center."

Are you saying that part of the convention takes place off-site? Or that the convention center is large enough that an unconnected hotel may be closer to a particular space than a connected hotel 'way at the other end of the center?

Never been: curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enfanta wrote:
"The Hampton Inn...is actually much closer to [the board room] than any of the ones attached to the convention center."

Are you saying that part of the convention takes place off-site? Or that the convention center is large enough that an unconnected hotel may be closer to a particular space than a connected hotel 'way at the other end of the center?

Never been: curious.

The latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys actually asking for the Origins/Gama hotel blocks? If you're not, the hotel staff is going to tell you the rooms are booked, because they save most of their rooms for the convention. I had no problem getting into the Red Roof Inn right across the street a few days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.