Popular Tags: christmas [+] [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
An open letter to anybody who gives a slight crap.

I'm not into the xmas gift-giving/getting thing myself but I do try and make small donations for different collections that spring up around my office during this whole "festive season". Recently I was talking with a person who does a knitting project every winter to donate to families in Mongolia (really) who are having rough times in the cold.

Anyway... I don't have any brilliant ideas on the mechanics of how such a thing could work but I was wondering if there exists or has ever existed a focused attempt through the members of this site to gather/donate games to kids/families that might not have the discretionary income to buy boxes and boxes of wooden and plastic bits.

I know that I'd be up for donating through paypal or actually sending off a physical gift if I felt confident that it was going to a proper target. Anyway, if such a thing exists, would someone please drop a message to me so that I can see if it would be something that I'd like to participate in?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few (names escape me) geeks who run gameclubs at their local schools. Would that sort of thing be what you are looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send some copies of Ticket to Ride, Robo Rally or something to your local Boys and Girls Club or Homeless Shelter. Foster Care Group Homes also need these kinds of donations. Toys for Tots always needs quality game donations.

Especially appreciated by all these groups are games and such for older kids - pre-teens and teens. These kids are often forgotten, while the little kids get lots of cool stuff.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's a pretty good idea...

I went and ordered a boatload of games from FFG's super-sale and tried to hit an older age-range. Hopefully I can infect a few minds with the gaming bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil,

Here is a group that I strongly recommend: http://www.countrysanta.org/

This organization provides toys and games to needy children in upstate South Carolina.

I have no affiliation with the group, other than I donate games.

Larry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting a bunch of games for the Share a Gift program at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.