Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say your opponent only has space enough on his ships for two goods. You have plenty of room on your own ships, so you put 3 tiles down for bidding.

Can you bid '0' (knowing full well that your opponent can't bid) and still win the goods?

Or must you bid a token amount (like 1 coin)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but after reading the rules I would say that your opponent could accept your price of 0, take the tiles for free, and then discard them so that you wouldn't get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
You're confusing the rules about ship capacity.

The highest capacity left in one of your boats limits how many tiles you can offer, and how many tiles you can place. It does not limit how many tiles you can buy.

So ... your opponent can always buy the tiles you offer, even if they can't load them onto one of their ships. When a player buys tiles, he always has the option to discard the complete set of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
So ... your opponent can always buy the tiles you offer, even if they can't load them onto one of their ships. When a player buys tiles, he always has the option to discard the complete set of tiles.

Indeed, that is key to the game's tension!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That is so much better than the way I had interpreted it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played just one round tonight - to see how it is. I think I'll like it, but the wife was too tired to think. So I had to pack it up, and bring out Lost Cities instead. Some other time. This will be a fun game. Possibly very confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

Indeed, that is key to the game's tension!

This is an important rule judgement. The rules say you cannot offer more than you can place - but it says the following:

"4. Anstatt die gerade gekauften Plättchen auf ein Schiff zu laden, darf der Spieler sie abwerfen."
(English "Alternatively, a player may decide to discard the entire set of tiles he bought without loading them."

The question is whether the player must be capable of loading the tiles in order to buy them (or discard the set).

Would someone - Jay, perhaps? - give a definitive answer to this question?

Walter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The opponent may accept the offer regardless of
whether he could load them or not. Of course, if
ha cannot load them, he must discard them.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
The opponent may accept the offer regardless of
whether he could load them or not. Of course, if
ha cannot load them, he must discard them.

Jay

Thanks, that's a needed clarification and makes sense - it means that one player can't "run the table" toward the end of a round and improves the strategy of the game.

Walter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.