Subject: Fruit Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: humor [+] humour [+] food [+] [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well, I just had to share the news of my great find yesterday, and I know there are many of us on here who don't mind a good non-boardgame related thread now and then. So with that intro, I give you what may be the first BGG review ever...of a fruit.

The Pummelo(2006 by Sunkist)

The other day my wife went grocery shopping at our local super Walmart. Along with other assorted foodstuffs she returned with a fruit I had never heard of or seen before- a pummelo.

Components

The pummelo comes in a bright green outer husk which must be removed prior to eating. My wife handled this part and said it was a lot of work "husking" if that's the right word, the pummelo. Once you've got your pummelo out of its shell, it must be seperated into wedges just like an orange. Each wedge has a moderately tough skin on it, and you must peel the skin of the wedge before you eat the fruit inside. The seeds of the pummelo are fully edible. The fruit itself is a pinkish color.

(The pummelo looks very appealing, but more effort is required to eat it than most fruits)

Taste

Here is where the pummelo really shines. I went into my eating of the pummelo with pretty low expecations. My wife had described it to me as "sort of like a grapefruit", and I have never been a huge fan of grapefruit. Well, the pummelo was delicious. It really did taste like eating candy. Between the 2 of us, we quickly finished the whole thing, and I was left wishing there was more. I don't want to be seen as some sort of pummelo shill by putting it at the top of my hot 10 fruit list after only one eating, but once I log a few more pummelos I can easily see it bumping kiwi out of my #1 spot.

(simply outstanding)

Theme

According to Sunkist's website: "The Pummelo, sometimes called the "Chinese grapefruit", is the largest of the citrus fruits. It is considered a delicacy bv many Asian cultures and is especially popular for Chinese New Year. The Chinese believe the delectable Pummelo is a sign of prosperity and good fortune - good things will happen if they eat it."

I agree. Good things do happen to those who eat the Pummelo. First among them, they get to eat pummelos!

(dripping with theme, at least relative to most other fruits. I only knock off half a star because I have some fears about lack of forthcoming expansions- I don't really see how pummelo pie or pummelo shortcake could work)

You can read more about the pummelo at: http://foodservice.sunkist.com/products/seasonal.asp

I heartily recommend it and see it as the current favorite for my Fruit des Jahres award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We eat the interior skin. Its good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Interesting.

We were just following the directions on the sticker on our pummelo. I'll have to try some skin next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! But I wish you had included more about the mechanics. Also, will a cat in a wicker basket eat a pummelo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The mechanics for pummelo are pretty simple. It's a slight innovation on "roll and move". Instead of rolling, you peel. Simply peel the outer husk and the individual wedges (or just the outer husk with the variant rules) and them move the fruit into your mouth.

A domesticated cat could not eat a pummelo whether it was in a wicker basket or not. The outer husk would simply be too tough for the cat to penetrate.

On the other hand, a big cat, like a lion or a tiger, would be able to eat a pummelo. Said big cat could either eat the pummelo while sitting in a very large wicker basket or without one.

Cats that fall somewhere inbetween those two ends of the spectrum (a lynx, a jaguar, something like that) are much more of a gray area. In these cases the answer would depend on the particular pummelo, cat, and wicker basket involved.

Edit-I'm happy to see that this thread has been tagged with both "humor" and "humour" for all the Brits on here. Note: any reference to the "color" of the pumello means the same thing as "colour".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you have tried "Pummelo" you need to try some of the fruit expansions: Mango (Asian mangoes taste tons better than Latin American) and Papaya, which are both as easy as Ticket to Ride; Jackfruit, Mangosteen, (a little more gamery), and the Die Macher of fruits -- Durian. Then you can go on to the limited releases/collectors items: Sawo (called "ciku" in Malaysia), Passion Fruit (aka "Markisa"), and Vietnamese Dragonfruit. These are all available in the U.S. for a price -- especially if you live in an area with a lot of immigrants.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Denise wrote:
Nice review! But I wish you had included more about the mechanics. Also, will a cat in a wicker basket eat a pummelo?

Ah, but the question is, if a cat in a closed wicker basket eats a pummelo, is the pummelo really eaten or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much legitimacy to give this review. After all, I have never seen you give a negative review of any fruit. Every fruit review of yours has been positive. How can you be credible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certain that once you remove the outer husk, the fruit is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the warning for those with hypertension? Your review may be criminally negligent if pummelos are as deleterious to users of Lipitor as a standard grapefruit. I hope you have a good lawyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For once I refuse to get into all this hype and will wait a couple of months to see where the rating ends up at.

This guy could just be a shiller anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a Fruitys Fruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunkist ripped this idea off from the Grapefruit. The set up time is too long (for those of us without a nice wife) and the number of seeds is totally random. I prefer the Kumquat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolumel wrote:
the Die Macher of fruits -- Durian.

*shudder*

Any fruit which my co-worker describes as "tasting like warm garlic yogurt" is immediately off my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
Kolumel wrote:
the Die Macher of fruits -- Durian.

*shudder*

Any fruit which my co-worker describes as "tasting like warm garlic yogurt" is immediately off my wishlist.

Is there a limited supply of Durians in the area which would lead your co-worker to discourage others from obtaining them so he/she might horde them all? Just wondering...

And what is this place becoming? BoredFruitGeek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY PAQUETTE
United States
ATTLEBORO
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia describes a durian as follows:

The hard outer husk is covered with sharp, prickly thorns, while the edible custard-like flesh within emits a strong, distinctive odour. Some regard this odour as fragrant while others find it overpowering or offensive.

... Sounds delightful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
imbiginjapan wrote:
Wikipedia describes a durian as follows:

The hard outer husk is covered with sharp, prickly thorns, while the edible custard-like flesh within emits a strong, distinctive odour. Some regard this odour as fragrant while others find it overpowering or offensive.

... Sounds delightful.

Mike Chapel describes a Durian as a fruit that smells like rotten butt, and tastes like a booger. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Mike Chapel describes a Durian as a fruit that smells like rotten butt, and tastes like a booger. gulp

I really didn't plan on cleaning my keyboard and monitor today. Sometimes you just have to handle some issues as they come up.

In related news, Dr. Pepper is oh so good on the intake throught the mouth, but burns firey snot on the way out your nose. Forewarned is forearmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
For $2,000,000 I would be willing to sell the intellectual property rights for a new fruit that I call the trinana(shown below).

I estimate the total profit potential of the trinana to be in excess of $5,000,000. I was working out a contract with a fruit publisher to produce the trinana, however I could not come up with the final $6,500 needed, thus my sale of the rights.

Thank you for your serious interest.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best expansion for this series is the carambola (star fruit). Deliciously tempting and very satisfying.

But, be forewarned -- eating this fruit can be harmful to some people. See:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fstarfruit.html

Excellent review of the basic fruit. More, more....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
For $2,000,000 I would be willing to sell the intellectual property rights for a new fruit that I call the trinana(shown below).

I estimate the total profit potential of the trinana to be in excess of $5,000,000. I was working out a contract with a fruit publisher to produce the trinana, however I could not come up with the final $6,500 needed, thus my sale of the rights.

Thank you for your serious interest.

-MMM

What makes this different from a banana? Do they all come with irregularly sized fruit stickers like the one pictured?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
Kazakhstan
Astana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we've brought up starfruit, let's also mention the zirzak, which has a most peculiar sour but nice taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:

What makes this different from a banana? Do they all come with irregularly sized fruit stickers like the one pictured?

I am not familiar with the "banana". Sorry.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I heartily recommend the "clamato"!, it's '2' great tastes like "clam" and "tomato"!, combined into ONE! just watch out for them "bearded" ones with the 'red TIDE scourge'[/b] and keep THIS in 'mind', while should your "tongue" turn GREEN, then your "clam" ain't CLEAN!
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.