Subject: Games similar to Puerto Rico? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've played several games of Puerto Rico face2face and several dozen with the pc version, and I find it very enjoyable but games generally develop along the same lines and have started seem rather routine. Are there any other games out there with similar play mechanics that are comparable for fun and maybe a little more involved or complex? The pc games I play end in about 15 minutes, and I'd like something that extends the play a little further with perhaps more resources and production possibilities. So, I'd be interested if you have any recommendations of games similar to PR that are equally or more enjoyable and varied. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you consider a game "similar" to PR? I think that depends on your point of view. It may be helpful if you stated what you especially like about PR, then people could suggest games that also have similar features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impression of Age of Mythology (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6707) was "hey, this is Puerto Rico with armies". It has a similar system of action selection, and each player has his own board on which to develop an economy. Plus, you get to attack the other players with plastic minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa. I like it better than PR, even if most users here don't. The play mechanics are not that similar but then, with the exception of the lighter San Juan you would be hard-pushed to find anything with similar mechanisms.

Try using the "You Might Also Enjoy" entry on the PR page; this suggests games which people with similar tastes to yours might enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Beck
Australia
Not Applicable
flag msg tools
Struggle of Empires has a few similar mechanics such as tile selection and resource management. I've only ever played one game so I couldn't tell you if it is a good game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 3 has the same role rotation mechanic. Plus plastic minis and armies, plus goes on for a long time (4-6 hours). Don't think its online tho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Caylus.
While it's not similar in theme or mechanics it's similar in game weight and the processes of developing a valid strategy. I assume it's that what you are looking for: a game that is demanding (complex) but still playable with fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
DO NOT acquire Age of Mythology!! The game is awful.. even with some similarities to Puerto Rico.

The opinions are certainly divided. I've played it only 3 or 4 times but I liked it. As always, the advice is to read the reviews and try to play it with somebody who owns it already before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Traders of Genoa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a pretty good question.

i've played a large amount of the top rated games on the geek, and it's hard to say there is really another game that mimics the je ne sais quoi of puerto rico, but there other games that have some similiar mechanics. thus it's important to denote what it is that 'u' like about it.

i don't think traders of genoa really is that similiar to PR. You have goods and people can take an action during others turns...but you arent building anything and there are no real 'roles' per se.

i might agree that caylus can get the similar flow that PR can have once u know it. You have goods, u can buy buildings, has a good sense of accomplishment...etc. it's really a great game.

i would also recommend Keythedral, again it's not overly similiar to PR, but it has good mechanics, plays quickly and seems to be really enjoyable by different groups.
-
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess I should clarify what it is about PR that I like and that I would like to try in another "similar" game.

I like the acquiring, building and then the ultimate trading of resources. For example: obtaining coffee, then buying a coffee roaster, then selling it to the trading house or shipping on the ships for victory points. Strategies about which resources to build and trade. So, I guess I'm looking for another game where you make initial selections that you then build on to grow and trade resources for profit and gain.

I'm mostly a hexside wargamer, but I enjoy the play mechanics of Puerto Rico, especially the strategic decisions where your early decisions lead to particular options and tactics later in the game. And, I guess, building upon economic growth rather than just military conquest.

Also, I think PR ends too suddenly and too soon. I'd like to find a way to extend the game length, too. But, for now, I guess I'm looking for a resource and trading game where early turn decisions have late-game ramifications. Thanks for any suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean has some similar mechanics. It is not as good of a game because of luck and length but still a pretty good game.

Age of Mythology is also similar but was not good the way we read and played the game. Please try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Traders of Genoa.

That would be my vote as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.