R W
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi, everyone! I'm relatively new to boardgaming as a hobby, but I learn real quick. What I'm actually looking for right now is a Christmas gift for my cousin: a male around twenty years of age. Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Some notes & requirements:

- He's not really into gaming, but loves Risk and classic card games (e.g. Rummy).
- He's a fan of World War II in particular, so something with that as a theme would be great (but is in no way required).
- I need something that plays great with 2 players, but expands well to 3 or 4 (or more).
- Moderate game length is best. 45-90 minutes (or less) is fine, but 2+ hour war games are out of the question.
- Only looking to spend $15-25. Doesn't need to be complex--doesn't even need to be a board game. Card game recommedations are great, also. But he loves strategy, so I want to get him something with depth.

Are there any decent WWII card games widely available, by the way? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Lightning: North Africa. It's a WWII card game that costs US$20 or so and plays in about 30-35 minutes. It's only for 2 players, but otherwise it's ticking all your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
These meet your requirements except they're not about WWII:

Samurai
San Juan
Carcassonne
Through the Desert
St. Petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give Tigris and Euphrates a look-see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Try Lightning: North Africa. It's a WWII card game that costs US$20 or so and plays in about 30-35 minutes. It's only for 2 players, but otherwise it's ticking all your boxes.

There is also Lightning: Midway and Lightning: D-Day. They all run about $14 from the online sellers advertised here. Note: AVOID Lightning: War on Terror LIKE THE PLAGUE. BAD GAME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not into war games or WWII, but the males in my family have some favorites:

Memoir 44- a card based game, but also has miniatures and a game board. My husband and older teenage sons really like this game. Easy to learn and has several expansions (built in Christmas presents for future years ) It is not, however, my cup of tea.

Also Wings of War - card based game for two. Need a big table or clean floor to play on, though. You are flying aces in dogfights. Some sets are WWI and some are WWII if I remember right.

On another theme, but likely a hit:

Robo Rally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure you'll get "deeply strategic" WW2 in 45-90 mins, but Memoir '44 sounds exactlty what you're after.
Its two player, but expandable and plays as teams in larger scenarios.

Great game too. Maybe slightly over your budget (about £35 sterling) but you won't regret it.

Good luck

Also, keep an eye on Tide of Iron, but that's after xmas now and likely to be a lot more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.