12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good Game for Grandparents? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
R W
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd like to get my grandparents a board game for Christmas.

- These are not gamers. Scrabble is the norm around their household. So, something ultra-simple to learn. Yet, a game with sufficient depth to get them thinking, and the addictiveness to keep them coming back.
- Must play great between the two of them, but would be wonderful if it expanded well to 4-6 for when the family comes over.

Your recommendations? Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One that comes to mind is

Blokus

I will think of others as they come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws really took to Set.
It was kind of hard to explain, but once they got it, they loved it. I think they read somewhere about "thinking" games keeping alzheimers at bay.
SET

A game my father loves (who has many grandchildren) is Boggle. He's also a scrabble fan. Boggle seems to fit the same mind-set.
Boggle

Rummikub is a great game for those who are into card games but want something slightly different. I just like the feel of the tiles.
Rummikub

Games like these, more traditional, might be a good bet with traditionally non-gaming grandparents! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 24/7: The Game? It plays great with two and has a sort of scrabble feel about it.

Maximum number of players would be 4 though. Still a good choice in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Diggs
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, judging from what my parents like, I'd second the recommendation of Rummikub.

Another game they enjoy is Skip-Bo. It's not very complicated, but still enjoyable. It also scales to 3 or 4 well, and with 4 you can play partners which changes the game (or at least the discarding strategy) somewhat.
Skip-Bo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R W
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the recommendations! Please keep them coming.

In the meantime: does Blokus play well with only two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly all scrabble players I know like typo, Big Boggle (the 5X5 grid version), and perquacky(sp?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents had a similar game history and got instantly hooked on Carcassonne. I got them the base game, inns and cathedrals, and traders and builders to start with. At first they just used all the tiles with the basic rules, then gradually they added the extra rules for the expansions. They also enjoy Ticket to Ride, Alhambra, Rummikub, and Lost Cities (LC is 2-player only, though).

Blokus does play with two -- there are two separate variants (smaller board or two colors per player). There's a variant for three, but it feels a little awkward. It also maxes out at four players. I love love love Blokus, but I'm not sure it has the flexibility you're looking for in terms of player numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hollinsworth
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like Scrabble, then a similar word game might go over well. Boggle has already been suggested, but another good choice might be BuyWord.

Also, a lot of (stereotypical) grandparents like to play Dominoes. If so, then Ingenious is a possibility, but you might have to play it once with them, just to make sure they understand the slightly-odd scoring system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Lisa's recommendation of Big Boggle (I think it's OOP, but it wasn't hard to find a new copy on ebay). That said, we're having a collective blast with web boggle 5x5 version -- one person types and everyone else yells the words they've found at him/her -- and, at this point, I may like it better than the boardgame version.

Ingenious and Samurai are two nice, attractive abstracts that scale well from 2-4 players. In general, I think that games which play well with both 2 and 6 will be hard to find, but you've certainly come to the right place to ask!

Blokus can be played by two if you use only the center of the board and different starting places. (There's Blokus Duo, but it's two-player only, so if you want the option of adding more, buy regular and use the Duo rules when you play with 2.) One warning, Blokus isn't great with 3. Gemblo (a similar, even prettier game), handles 2-6 players, but I don't know how well (I've only played 3-player, but I think I've read that 5-player is the weak link for Gemblo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I third/second/additionally recommend Ingenious. It definately fits with what your grandparents play. Just remind them that it's the lowest color that gets scored though. Too many people forget this rule.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the list "Grandma and Grandpa Like Games Too":
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/376

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.