Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: War Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heroscape [+] [View All]
darren carter
msg tools
I need help, my son would like a battle type game with lots of figurines. Warhammer was his first choice but he doesn't like painting. Heroscape was another option but I can't find a master set anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape would still be your best bet. It's available at Toys R Us, Walmart, Target and recently I've seen it at Kmart. If not in the stores it's readily available on the web at Hasbro, TRU, etc. Painted figures with modular terrain for a reasonable price. You really can't ask for much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Klaus
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BattleLore and you are done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren;

Your description is a little too broad.

There is the fully fledged miniatures hobby where one buys expensive miniatures that need to be painted. The rules are often not that complex but all-in-all this is more along the lines of a hobby as opposed to a packaged "game". These games are played on giant 4'x8'+ tables decorated along the lines of HO scale train layouts.

Then there are many boxed wargames ranging in complexity wherein a game lasts from an hour to several weeks.

But, in my mind, the most important question is what period are you looking for: Fantasy, ancients, Napoleonics, WWII, modern?

Also the term miniatures has a wide meaning in wargaming. As I mentioned, there are the highly detailed miniature sculptures of true miniatures wargaming. Then there are many games that use mediocre, though still very good, plastic miniature sculptures. These are more like high quality game bits as opposed to true miniatures.

I too bought some Warhammer for one of my sons. And, as mentioned by another, I was also turned off by the very high pricing from Games Workshop. But, these are in the realm of miniatures wargaming.

If you want a game-game, I suggest Axis & Allies or Memoir 44. They both have lots of cool looking miniatures. Or, if your son prefers fantasy, currently the game to get is Battlelore.

There is now a new middle ground between cool looking game bits and highly detailed miniatures. This is the new line of Axis & Allies prepainted plastic miniatures. The detail and quality are not on the same level of true miniatures, but not having to paint them is a huge plus. Also, the game system is less complex. Note, however, that A&A miniatures are marketed as a collectible game system with all that that entails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
That same thought went through my mind as well. Battlelore seems to be the perfect choice in this case.

Firesky wrote:
BattleLore and you are done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren,

Update your profile to show what country you're in. If you're in the USA and can't find Heroscape, try harder. Nearly every major department store I've been in the past month has the master set and about half the online dealers carry it also.

Also, are you looking for collectible or non-CMG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your son's age. If he's young then Heroscape. If he's older then Battlelore. YOU will probably enjoy Battlelore more, but if your son isn't old enough to be reading a lot of cards (whether because of inability or disinterest) then Heroscape is a fine back-up choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.