Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1985, In college at the University of Wisconsin, Me, and my friends Al, Jordan, Joel and Dave played a game of CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE (MB version).

What was so great was..at first I expanded my empire from Aegyptus all the way out below Spain (route 1). Then Jordan crossed the sea into North Africa from Spain and challenged me. As he advanced, I retreated (routes 2) back towards Egypt, burning my roads and cities as i went. He had too huge a force. Finally in Egypt, itself, we had an epic battle that was even. Fate smiled on me and my catapults finally turned the tide and soon I wound up routing him and keeping the bulk of my army! I then retook what I had lost (route 3). It was classic, but the gamble worked. I rebuilt my roads and cities as well.

Meanwhile Joel in Italy was fighting Al from the north. Al was winning and Joel fled toward me with his Caesar. His intention was that I get his Caesar and his empire, rather than him losing it to his nemesis, Al (routes 4). But then he won a big battle against Al and had new life. Alas, however, I was right next to him with a large army. He then asked me if we could forget about that deal and if I could let him survive. I apologized and said "no" and captured his Caesar and took Italy. Then I mustered enough money and naval forces to land in Spain to avenge Jordan's earlier attacks (route 5). I soon dispatched Jordan from the game and took Spain.

Meanwhile, Alan pretty much took care of the Asian areas under Dave, who was playing pretty conservatively. I also advanced and took care of Dave
(routes 6 and 7). This left the game up to me in the south half and Al in the north half. However, I had Spain and Italy besides Egypt and this proved the difference (more income to build up armies) as I defeated Al (routes and battles 8) after many hours of heavy fighting. It was the most fun game session I have ever played. I was at the brink of extinction early on and came back to win this game (with some luck as well) !

It was great fun!

Here's the map and the routes:

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, great game. Can you elaborate on your conquest of Al? I assume he started in Macedonia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. He started in Macedonia and expanded northward and also Eastward toward Dave. He also attacked Joel in Italy, but the key was getting Italy myself as described in the session.

Well I had the entire southern part of the board and he had the northern part, but I had 3 kingdoms and he had 2. After building up, what i did , if i remember, was invade and conquer England to prevent him from using that as a haven to escape to. I also moved up on the Eastern part of the board and begin to move westward towards him there. Soon it was the classic, I move towards him from England, From Spain, From Italy, From Asia Minor and from the East. It just took a very long time as he built up very well defensively as compared to my more sparse attack elements. It was a slow death for him and he never surrendered until it was almost the very end for his Caesar.

Thanks for the compliment

-Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.