Popular Tags: [View All]
Rainer Korzendörfer
Germany
Sachsenheim
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

when DEFCON is 2 can be done a Realignment Roll in Europe?

In the Rules the write no but in the Example its done.
And on the DEFCON Track the write abaout Coups but not abaout Realignment Rolls.

Sorry when this is an stupid question
blush

Ad Astra
Rainer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Rainer,

it's my understanding that realignments and coups follows the same limitations, I suppose that the defcon track is in error then; so, no coups or realignments in Europe.

IMHO, of course

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zocker wrote:
when DEFCON is 2 can be done a Realignment Roll in Europe?

In the 1st edition rules, the answer was no. There was a "typo" on the map that suggested the answer was "yes", but that was a mistake.

After the game was published, the designers suggested a variant in which the answer is "yes". This variant is included at the end of the 2nd Edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but this isn't an official rule is it, it's just a variant. Also, can the phasing player lose influence in a country from attempting realignment. If so, then it seems to me that realignment is a very risky move. i'd coup instead(if its allowed), you're not at risk of losing any influence that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdr layman wrote:
but this isn't an official rule is it, it's just a variant. Also, can the phasing player lose influence in a country from attempting realignment. If so, then it seems to me that realignment is a very risky move. i'd coup instead(if its allowed), you're not at risk of losing any influence that way.

You're right. It's still just a variant.

The phasing player can lose influence from attempting realignment, if the phasing player has any influence in the country when the attempt is made. In my experience, players almost always realign countries where they have no influence. Often they have influence in neighboring countries.

Here's how I think about it:

(1) When you place influence, you can only increase your own influence

(2) When you realign, you can only remove influence (yours or your opponent's)

(3) When you coup, you can remove your opponent's influence and possibly add some for yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, realigning never decreases DEFCON while coups sometimes do, and coups usually get Military Ops while realingning never does . I generally prefer to place influence or coups rather than realign but there are some cards that allow it (and if the card says you can realign you can ignore the Defcon limits, or did I dream that?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.