Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I didn't look very closely at the rules when WestFront II arrived; 1.1 says Axis units are prohibited from Africa and Britain!

Isn't the threat of panzers in London needed to keep the Allied player honest? Or at least to keep them from taunting the Axis player with their obviously undefended SHQs? After the first four or five hours of squeaky Monty Python voices, I'm pretty sure I'd snap.

Axis: So I'm activating--
Allies: (squeaky voice) Hellooo! Yoo hoooo!!
Axis: I'm activating this--
Allies: (making SHQs dance) Hee heee! Come and get me!
Axis: This HQ, and--
Allies: (suddenly serious) You want an invasion marker for that?
Axis: Eh?
Allies: Oh, that's right! I keep forgetting, you can't invade me! Sorry.
Axis: (wipes away tear)
Allies: A peanut! Vass valking down der strasse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas de Bakker
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts in July 1943. There is no way the Axis could have invaded Britain against the Allied air and naval superiority by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And what?! That is supposed to simulate the overall incapability to invade England? So D-Day is possible for the Allies but not for the Germans? No operation Seelowe for the Germans? Blargh! What motivation is given for this? Realism?!

I would think the kick with these games is to see what MIGHT have happened, provided this and that condition. So England MIGHT have been invaded by the Axis, under the condition that, well, whatever.

Pity! Really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Assuming realistic conditions, in 1943, the only way the Axis could have invaded the UK would've been if the Axis did everything right and the Allies suddenly lost the ability to think rationally and/or suddenly ALL discovered the joys of binge drinking to the point of near death. And even then, river barges full of German troops + English channel would equal a lot of drowned Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
It vas a salted!

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ohman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this just made sense to me, since I was the Allies, and able to enjoy the benefits, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Yes, the joy of these games is being able to change the historical tide. To say just a few examples that my limited experience with the game suggests:
1. Can the Axis prevent the Allies from gaining a foothold in Italy?
2. Can you, as the Allies, find a better place to launch your initial invasion than Italy?
3. Is there an advantage to invading thru neutral Spain over Normandy?
3. Can you (Axis) prevent an Allied breakout after the Normandy Landing?

In our initial setup, I went for a traditional invasion of Italy, but towards the end of the first campaign, I saw an opportunity to invade Denmark, at a time when nothing happened historically. Right now, things are looking good for an invasion up through Marseille...

A couple things prevented me, as the Allies, from leaving England empty:
1. I eventually want to invade France, and need to build up the forces to do it.
2. The historical set-up forced me to put units there, and I could only "waste" so many SHQ points moving guys down south when my SHQ maxed out at 2.
3. Handicapping coming down the road prevented me from draining England, unless I wanted to suffer VP penalties.
4. If I pulled all my units out of England, you would have been able to pull forces off the Atlantic Sea Wall. Then, my few guys in Italy would have been facing a lot more German steel. The Allied advantage is being able to choose the location of their strike. If I gave up that advantage, the Axis advantage in having lots of troops would have really hurt me.

For a late period Sea Lion scenario, you would need a game where sea-power is more explicitly represented, so your a-historical Germans can build up a large air/sea/para force. Still, I'd question where in '43 you could build this force without the Allies noticing and bombing it into oblivion before it was halfway prepared.

Keep in mind, just because a game doesn't offer exactly what you were expecting, doesn't necessarily make it a bad game. Everything has to have significant constraints, unless you want +500 page rulebooks. Westfront doesn't allow the Germans to invade Canada with a submarine-delivered/paradrop force over the North Pole, and I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Of course, there's a time when you have to through out the rules and go with common sense. Once, in an EF campaign, we reached the point where Hitler is supposed to issue a steadfast order, which prevented HQs from mobilizing. Clearly, this didn't work with our situation, where the Germans were on the tail-end of a steamroll across the Russians, so we threw it out.

Look at it this way, Rusty: you didn't invade Gibraltar, where I only had a single unit, or Malta, when you knew I only had an HQ there. Is it really "realistic" to think that, under those conditions, you would have invaded England? Tell you what: capture Malta and Gibraltar. Kick me out of Italy and Denmark. Chase me back across North Africa. Then, I'll break the rules and let you invade England. (note to self: remember to pray that I don't have to eat these words next session!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Klammer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the game allowed it, the invasion would be short lived. In the historical deployment the bulk of Axis forces are weaker and the static garrison and fortress forces are exactly that: static.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.