Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife's two cousins were visiting, and they noticed my German boardgame collection in the hall closet. Okay, so I might have "accidentally" left out my new copy of El Grande, just in case they asked me about it...

What? Well, sure, I'd like to play one of them...

But, what to play? Ordinarily, I'd start with Settlers or TTR or Ra, but these guys thought the idea of a colonialism simulation was too funny to pass up. They're smart guys, so I decided to give Puerto Rico a go.

They struggled through my quick rule explanation, and seemed at a loss for the first half of the game. I tried to explain the rationale behind all of my moves, and weigh the options on everyone's turn, but they were too competitive to let me do that for too long. (They also thought you could only ship a single barrel of a good on your turn, oops.) The older brother continually shipped the younger's trade goods, and he got healthily irritated. The game ended at midnight, and then I heard the words that convinced me they had "gotten" PR:

"Let's play again, but this time I'm sitting in front of you."

Woo! I won the first game handily, squeaked out a victory in the second by using a wharf on the last turn of a building strategy, and (the next day) got hammered by their semi-cooperative shipping juggernaut. They both intend to go buy a copy of the game immediately.

You know, I stumbled onto BGG a few years ago when I googled this odd game I bought at a tag sale, Acquire. PR was the first BGG-style game I bought, and as it was one of two games I owned, we played it constantly. Now I have a collection, but playing PR three times in a day kinda made me miss those days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.