(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure in which Forum to ask about this - so here it goes.

I´m about to get some games shipped from the US to Germany. I´ve heard a few stories along the lines of "you´ll have to pay taxes for the complete price on the invoice - including shipping". Since shipping costs are quite high (at least they will be in comparison to the value of the shipped goods, roughly the same) - is it in general advisable/possible to only have the merchandise value on the invoice ?

Any link to an official/government source would be also greatly appreciated.

AR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the title I was getting ready to defend standing on tables, drinking beer and wearing lederhosen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
Not sure in which Forum to ask about this - so here it goes.

I´m about to get some games shipped from the US to Germany. I´ve heard a few stories along the lines of "you´ll have to pay taxes for the complete price on the invoice - including shipping". Since shipping costs are quite high (at least they will be in comparison to the value of the shipped goods, roughly the same) - is it in general advisable/possible to only have the merchandise value on the invoice ?

Any link to an official/government source would be also greatly appreciated.

AR.

Last year I sent three identical packages off to our site in Germany. Identical boxes, identical weights, identical contents, identical values, all three sent the same day from the same post office here in Pittsburgh, USA to our location in Essen, Deutschland.

One arrived in four weeks, no Customs charges. One arrived a week later, my guy had to go to the post office to pick it up and pay a customs charge. One arrived a week after that, I had to fax a copy of a commercial invoice. The package had been opened and inspected, and another, different, customs charge had to be paid.

Have fun!

John Bohrer
Winsome Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same in the UK. I often buy games from an American manufacturer and publisher. These are CD wargames and cost approximately US$40. Shipping is US$11. I am then charged GBP£8 for Value Added Tax and a Post Office handling charge, taking the overall cost of the game to US$67.

Here's the thing; it has only been charged on about 50% of the orders, so I suppose it depends on who is awake in the Postal and Customs beaurocracy at the time of receipt. Sometimes I dread the mail. You are not alone.

Regards,

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ach, our Beamten are not working konsistantly, ja ?!?

Oh well, I´ll see which lottery ticket I pulled out of the lot then

Thanks for the information everyone !

(objectively though, Lederhosen are EVIL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Artist etc...

Lederhosen are only EVIL if your wife, girlfriend, partner or mistress refuse to wear them!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
The Artist etc...

Lederhosen are only EVIL if your wife, girlfriend, partner or mistress refuse to wear them!

Jim

Truely, we must be discussing different Lederhosen.

Or maybe you are trying to corrupt BGGeeks into wearing them, for a reason which escapes, precisely, reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:
The Artist etc...

Jim

Truely, we must be discussing different Lederhosen.

Or maybe you are trying to corrupt BGGeeks into wearing them, for a reason which escapes, precisely, reason.

Was ist los mit die Lederhosen? Ich trage gerne Lederhosen, wenn ich Oesterreich besuchen. Sie sind ausgezeichnet Kleidung, ich denke. Sehr nett!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, trousers which remain standing gulp after you step out of them cannot be anything but an invention from the deepest pits of the earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:

AR.

For Austria what you say is true. And on top of that you also have to pay the fee for cash on delivery, because that is the way that the tax part will be charged to you(!). Also as far as Austria goes this unfortunately really seems to be in the laws as far as I understood them when looking them up. I still don't get it why I have to pay a tax for something that didn't enter my country (the service of shipping), but it is the way it is.
Only very small ammounts (~$25 IIRC including shipping) are usually ignored by the taxes (but this is just nice by them and not required).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, we get about 5 packages per month from USa/Canada/Singapure or Hongkong. So: first make sure that "selbstverzollung" is written over the package, otherwise the germen post will get the package to the "zoll" and you will surely be charged to pay taxes also for the shipping., second ask them to write gift and put no bill inside. with this you will be asked to go to the "Zoll" tehre they open the package in your side, and you have to bring some kind of document there the value is stated, an Email is ok. so tehy will only charge you for the vallue of the contents if it exceeds 20 something euros. I often have Miniatures in these packaegses, while my Sister get a lot of clothes, so its relally easy to have 20 miniatures inside, bought in ebay or at a store and only get charged for 1.

I love the look on the faces of our good "Zoellner" when all the tin rolls out of the packages ^^

regards SilverDrake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the very concrete advice ! Will do as you said !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks later :

The end of the story :

I ended up paying the VAT (still 16% in Germany this year) on the goods only (not the shipping).

The only really annoying bit was to have to travel to the other end of town, errmm, make that out of town, to the Zollamt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.