Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PS mechanic is such a distinctive feature of the game, and for a lot of gamers this is exactly what makes the game stand out from TS. It adds a special flavour and excitement to the game. Also, the Power Struggle cards have a great impact on where exactly you are trying to build up your influence on the map thinking ahead of the next possible PS.
Replacing this mechanic with a modified die roll would weaken the whole gameplay in terms of competition for control in certain places (students, bureaucrats, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
The PS mechanic is such a distinctive feature of the game, and for a lot of gamers this is exactly what makes the game stand out from TS. It adds a special flavour and excitement to the game. Also, the Power Struggle cards have a great impact on where exactly you are trying to build up your influence on the map thinking ahead of the next possible PS.
Replacing this mechanic with a modified die roll would weaken the whole gameplay in terms of competition for control in certain places (students, bureaucrats, etc.)
I agree with Judit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
You'll notice I said "present an alternative" not "replace" . I get that people like the PS cardgame, but I think it'd be nice to also include an alternative mechanic as well for people who don't. I just don't really see much difference between playing a cardgame that essentially boils down to "whoever controls the most spaces wins" and a modified die roll that favours whoever controls the most spaces, except that the latter is a lot quicker to resolve.

I don't think it would weaken the competition for control that much for students, intellectual, bureaucrats etc because those are still important for cards.

I've already posted some rules on the variant board here to replace the PS mechanic (which inevitably got piled on by people who didn't like the idea of replacing the PS rules), but playing last night I made a few tweaks to those - I've now updated those rules and posted them to a new thread at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1410720/removing-power-stru... so people can see what they make of it.

EDIT: I should add that having played a few games with my variant, it really doesn't change the overall feel of the game at all to play without the PS cards. The rest of the game amply provides a unique experience without the PS minigame mechanic (which isn't even unique to 1989 anyway - as far as I can see it's the same mechanic that is used for battles in *Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage*, just rethemed for the 1989 setting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
One more suggestion - can you mention the countries in which the starting SPs are placed as well as the cities? If you're not so familiar with the board then you can have no idea where some of these places are, and it's easy to miss the little squares with the numbers that denote the starting SP spots.

Mentioning the countries too would make them easier to track down, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Another thing - why do some cards have a little 'reminder chit' while others that have long term effects don't (usually they say 'put this card in front of the player'? Would it not be better to either keep all the long term effects out as cards or have reminder chits for all of them? Could that be done in a new printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we need to review which events have reminder chits. A list of which ones do not have a chit and you believe should have one would be helpful.

As far as the alternative to the scoring card power struggle mechanic, you should consider submitting it to the c3i magazine once it is tested. They like to publish variants and scenarios.

An AI flow chart for solitaire play, similar to Labyrinth, is another expansion idea, for anyone so inclined to develop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Yes we need to review which events have reminder chits. A list of which ones do not have a chit and you believe should have one would be helpful.
I'll see if I can do that next time I play. Though to be totally honest I think the chits aren't terribly useful myself - they're too small and easily overlooked in their current form. I think it may just be better to leave the cards out somewhere prominent on the table - or maybe put a boxed area somewhere on the map to display all the chits in (like in some of the COIN games) to make them more obvious?

Quote:
As far as the alternative to the scoring card power struggle mechanic, you should consider submitting it to the c3i magazine once it is tested. They like to publish variants and scenarios.
I didn't think of that at all - thanks, I'll look into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, please flip the VP track so that the democrat (blue) VP side is consistent with the blue side in each country box. (And the same for the communist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Since this came up last night...

Please add an explicit statement that Scoring cards can't be sent to Tianamen Square! It's implied in the rules, but I think it's really easy to miss.

And perhaps clarify the wording on the "Common European Home" card to make it clear that it only applies to cards with the opponent's event thath were played by the player who has the CEH card, not their opponent! (i.e. they can't cancel an event that their opponent plays with it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Östen Karlsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Something that would be so useful in a reprint is a couple of empty cards in case a card gets too bent or marked somehow.
I really miss this, both in 1989 and TS. Just a couple of replacements for when you spill coffee all over your Monday Demonstrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Varga
United States
Morris
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you like to see in a reprint?

Reprint Soon! I backed it on the P500. This is a grail game for me!
Last I checked, this is at 62 backers. It would appear it has a way to go before getting the green light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Dafinov
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
Wow, that will be an epic necropost on my part
Following up on the previous post, is there any way to see the rate at which the new P500 orderers are coming in? Just placed mine (#317), and I was wondering what the chances are of this reprint actually seeing the light of day. As someone who was living in Bulgaria in 1989, I find the theme of this game is rather exciting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Order up! This would be nice to see again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb

Just learned about the P500 and ordered a copy. It's up to 356. Hopefully we can get this across the finish line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edafinov wrote:
Wow, that will be an epic necropost on my part
Following up on the previous post, is there any way to see the rate at which the new P500 orderers are coming in? Just placed mine (#317), and I was wondering what the chances are of this reprint actually seeing the light of day. As someone who was living in Bulgaria in 1989, I find the theme of this game is rather exciting
I placed my order today, taking the total to 380 – so that's a copy every four and a half days since you placed yours. At the same rate, 500 copies would be reached at the end of January 2021.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |