Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Do you feel that a draw result is a satifactory end to a game?

There are a number of games that can end in a tie, but is it a design feature that should be avoided in future game designs?

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First question, no. Second question, yes mostly.

I've seen a number of close victories in Power Grid where somebody wins by 1 dollar (or whatever the money unit is). It's quite dramatic when a game needs to be decided by tie breaker like this. In general I'm a supporter of the tie-breaker because it adds a drama and nice closure. Close finishes are exciting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare C
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think that it matters that a draw can result from a game with a rich theme and storytelling / quest element. In games like Descent, for example, a problem that I find is that it is very unsatisfying for the Overlord to win, because then the story doesn't get completed and the (rather long) playing time to that point seems wasted. In cases like that I think it's actually preferable to have the option of a draw (or some other way of having a win for one side not mean the premature end of the game). And it makes sense to think of a draw in these kinds of game: both sides live to fight another day with neither victorious just yet...

In more abstract games a draw is more frustrating, but I don't think it should be made impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There doesn't always have to be a winner. If two players play a game equally well, it should be possible to tie. That said, a tiebreaker should always be included to try and break ties, but ties in and of themselves are not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a draw can be a satisfactory result and, no, I don't think the possibility should be avoided unless a draw is inconsistent with the theme/mechanics of the game. (With some themes, a draw might make no sense, but twisting game mechanics to unreasonably avoid a draw - or having five different tie-breakers - is excessive.)

I played chess for many years, and drawing with a significantly better player felt better than beating a much weaker player, so I don't have a problem with ending games in a draw. Of course, I'm also British, and I recognize that North Americans are typically much more draw-averse than Europeans. Basically, I play to do as well as possible. If that's a win, great! If that's a draw or close loss against a clearly better player (or, in some games, a player with a clearly better tile draw), that's okay too as long as I did the best I could under the circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think chess players in general recognize a draw as a good thing. Sometimes you haven't played better, so there is no point in a win. Don't get me wrong, I play to win. While I am playing my focus is on winning, but when I get to the end, I don't think a draw in the case of two people playing well is a bad thing.

In some games the mechanism to break a draw seem arbitrary. I think the worst times are when you have to pull out the rules to see who won. Is that really a victory? If you know what the tie-breaker is and it is clear how to win on tie-breakers then that is fine. (For example, I am all about the Power Grid example above, winning close games is great) But if no one really knows let us just call it a draw. It isn't as pretty, but next time I am going to try all that much harder so we don't end in a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

Yes.

Quote:
There are a number of games that can end in a tie, but is it a design feature that should be avoided in future game designs?

Instead I'd argue that tie breakers which are not a direct product of the challenge of the game, which do not directly align with the victory achieving mechanisms of the game, should be avoided at all costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had created Tai Chi for Adiken, which maybe only exists in a dozen copies, one of the rules that struck people is that if you win a round, you score a point. For a draw, each player scores 2 points. It lead to a really weird bluffing tactic in whether or not you would go for the shared points or ths single point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it depends on the game. Chess and Diplomacy can have very satisfying draws.

Generally, I dislike draws. I'm not fond of tie-breakers either, I see them as a necessary evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

Mike Z

It may be interesting for the first time playing, but I think it would lose it's luster fast. There must be a winner. Also I believe that there should be a "clear" winner, as usually tie breaker rules are fiddly, and hard to track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends on your gaming group and how competitive people are. I have no problems with a draw, but I'm not super competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer to end a game in a draw rather than add a layer of abstraction to break it. If the extra test to break the tie goes right along with the main goal of the game, then I don't mind as much. I dislike contradictory criteria. For example, the game might be all about playing cubes onto the board, but if you tie, the winner is the one with the most cubes unplayed. That's a bad tie-breaker, even though you might explain it as suggesting efficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game of Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers we had a draw yesterday. It was very satisfying. As a matter of fact, it made us play again instead of putting the game away right after playing. A sweeping victory sometimes is much less satisfying since it makes the loser not wanting for more, whereas a draw is as close as you can get to two winners...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from the land of five day cricket matches that often end in draws - draws that can be exciting, thrilling and everyone goes home vaguely happy.

So I don't mind draws and I couldn't care less about tie-breakers normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
SouthernMan wrote:

Why must there be a winner ?

Because, it's a board game, not an idle pastime. It's a competitive activity. It is the root reason we play games.

It's what separates this activity from scrapbooking, or watching TV, or sitting around a pub with friends.

At it's core, it is a competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game ending without a winner is unAmerican.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hungadunga wrote:

Wow. That single sentence is possibly the single most effective way to get people to think games ending in draws are the BEST THANG EVAR! Can anyone come up with something more efficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
In every game, every player should be able to either win or lose. I'm not opposed to multiple winners if the game is done well. I cannot think of any multiple winner game that isn't cooperative, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I'm from the land of five day cricket matches that often end in draws - draws that can be exciting, thrilling and everyone goes home vaguely happy.

I agree but let us be clear there are draws and there are ties in cricket. Both which can be exciting (ties more than draws) but ties are like kissing your sister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
Instead I'd argue that tie breakers which are not a direct product of the challenge of the game, which do not directly align with the victory achieving mechanisms of the game, should be avoided at all costs.

This is my take on the whole thing. Although I do believe that ties should be avoided at all costs. But any tie breaking mechanisms shoulds always make sense. It should measure a secondary resourse or some such that shows who was further ahead. I'm having trouble describing it, but basically the tie breaker should be a measure of who had the greater possibility of winning given more time, or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draws:
Everybody loses:

We need more
and more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

I agree but let us be clear there are draws and there are ties in cricket. Both which can be exciting (ties more than draws) but ties are like kissing your sister.

Pah, YOUR sister maybe!!!

Oooooooh I went there! See, see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Wow. That single sentence is possibly the single most effective way to get people to think games ending in draws are the BEST THANG EVAR! Can anyone come up with something more efficient?

A tie is like kissing your sister. -- Eddie Erdelatz, football coach at the US Naval Academy after a 0-0 tie.

Actually my opinion on ties match J.C.'s--they are ok if the are broken or if they stand. But if you have to break the tie, use some method that is meaningful to the game. Penalty kicks are an excellent example of a rotten way to break ties. Another is the NCAA Football red zone rules are equally stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I especially like draws because it rewards two people playing well... Sometimes artificial tie breakers (i.e. highest sun tile breaks tie in RA) bugs me as no one was working towards getting the highest tile, they are working for highest total suns. Seems kind arbitrary and a little bit on the random side. Our group usually calls it a draw and plays another game to decide whose better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that can end in a tie for me are not good games. I enjoy games for the challenge of winning the game not for the challange of doing just as well as someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.