♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
This was another slow month for me, since I only read four books. Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End was a dense book that had a lot of technical jargon and a lot of characters to keep up with, which was part of the reason that this was a slow month. It's a good book about the ramifications of instantaneous communications. It's also a satire, though I would hate to call it "scathing"; Vinge doesn't beat you over the head with his point. If you're interested in Net Neutrality, DMR, or privacy issues, then this is the book for you.

Next up was The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. This is an excellent Gothic novel, complete with sprawling, decaying mansions, twin sisters, secrets, and stories told in flashback. It even references The Castle of Otranto, which was a pleasant surprise. I love ghost stories and Gothic tales, so this was right up my alley. That it's also a tribute to books and writing, and contains some lyrical prose, is just a bonus.

Of course, I read Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman; it's Neil Gaiman. This collection of short stories has some hits and misses, but the hits far outweigh the misses. "A Study in Emerald," Gaiman's tribute to Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft, is worth the price of the book, but stay for "October in the Chair" and "Monarch of the Glen."

This morning, I finally finished Farthing by Jo Walton. This is a mystery set in an alternative history in 1949, where England has made peace with Germany to avoid any further attacks. Of course, the thinly-veiled fascism that comes along with that peace affects the murder investigation, which takes place at the estate of Farthing, where it appears that a Jewish man committed the crime. This book is excellent, and very timely, what with the world situation as it is right now.

What about y'all? Or was the Tanga Puzzlethon too time-intensive for anyone else to read much this month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - a popular write-up of various discoveries in the natural sciences over the last 300 or so years: astronomy, physics, chemistry, etc. Very accessible to the general public, but a bit thin if you want more analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: Some of these might belong in October. I'm not too sure.

Acts by Jaroslav Pelikan (SCM Theological Commentary on the Bible)
Theodore Roosevelt by James R.Holmes.
Thoedoric in Italy by John Moorhead
Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett- a reread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This month my classes actually assigned books instead of all articles:

I've read:
July's People
This is about a white family that fled from the riots in South Africa and found a haven in the shelter of their servants African tribe. It functions primarily as a post colonial social commentary.

Whistlin' And Crowin' Women of Appalachia: Literary Practices after College
This is a case study done in Pikeville Kentucky which successfully disproves the stereotypes about the ignorance of Appalachian people and gives a cultural background of the belief systems through the portrayal of five female college graduates.

I've read a lot of articles too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to Lose a Battle: Foolish Plans and Great Military Blunders edited by Bill Fawcett

Excellent little book that covers a myriad of exceptional military blunders from 331 BC to 1954. None of the recounts were very indepth but they were all fun to read and most of them contained a "D'oh" factor. I nice light easy to read book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders, a cautionary tale about all sorts of things. The Areas of My Expertise (thanks Jeff) by John Hodgman, one of the most amusing reads of my year. The Shroud of the Thwacker, by Chris Elliott, which I only decided to read because of Mike Fitzgerald's recommendation on GeekSpeak in 2005 of The Alienist, by Caleb Carr. The latter book provides the basis for the former's satire, in large part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender's Game(by Orson Scott Card). Shame I waited so long to read this one. Looking forward to reading the sequel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read The Knight by Gene Wolfe, and I am 2/3rds through The Wizard. I also read Stardust by Neil Gaiman,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing My Mind Thomas DiBaggio
The Mapmakers John Noble Wilford
The Partly-Cloudy Patriot Sarah Vowell
Next Michael Crichton
The Know-It-All A.J. Jacobs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
Another Roadside Attraction - Tom Robbins

Tons of short stroies and poetry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
The seventh book in the "Dresden Files: series, by Jim Butcher. "Dead Beat".

This is a great fantasy/detective noir series. Looking forward to book eight "Proven Guilty".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished the last of the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Started on Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Finished this month atleast.)
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Now I'm caught up on the series.)

Ruprecht wrote:
Finished the last of the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

I just started reading Prelude to Foundations today.

artfuldodge2 wrote:
The seventh book in the "Dresden Files: series, by Jim Butcher. "Dead Beat".

Wow. I have never heard of this series and this is twice in as many days that I have heard about it. That's pretty strange.

bwingrave wrote:
Ender's Game(by Orson Scott Card). Shame I waited so long to read this one. Looking forward to reading the sequel.

Very awesome book. I remember reading it about 17 years ago and was floored about the fleet and the simulator. I love this book and recommend it to people all the time.

Interesting thing about this book is that it was written after Speaker for the Dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie, a history book on the events leading up to WWI. It focuses primarily on the people behind England & Germany and how their decisions caused the war.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
assorted books on Gothic Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!

Any good? I should read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the hand writing on the wall. No, it is not a book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
even though I am not a democrat.. if he runs for president.. he can count on my vote

It strikes me that this may not be quite the sort of endorsement Mr.Obama is looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
habermanm wrote:
I also read Stardust by Neil Gaiman,

That's a beautiful book. If I didn't have 21 books checked out from the library right now, I'd probably go back and re-read it. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among others, Evolution by Steven Baxter.

It's a series of vignettes from primates' lives from just before the comet doomed the dinosaurs to well after the current time, when devolution of the primates is well underway. Along the way, he describes the other animals often from the primates' perspective, but often objective descriptions. In addition to building from fossil records, he also invents some species and explains how they may have evolved and why no trace exists. I'd love to hear other readers' reactions to the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

A very good book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers. A re-read of a classic. I didn't read as much this month because of school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what, I was being an idiot! blush

I read "I am not a democrat" as "I am not a supporter of democracy, i.e popular government". I guess I need to get out in the fresh air some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, now you are being an idiot. Without a capital "D", a democrat is merely a proponent of democracy. With a capital "D", a Democrat is a member of the Democratic Party, which in no way guarantees any actual support for democracy. A good rule of thumb: Don't second-guess your first instincts, it's usually the other guy who's an idiot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperion Cantos Dan Simmons

West2 wrote:
Losing My Mind Thomas DiBaggio
The Mapmakers John Noble Wilford
The Partly-Cloudy Patriot Sarah Vowell
Next Michael Crichton
The Know-It-All A.J. Jacobs

How does Next compare to Michael Crichton's other works? It certainly sounds like it would be an interesting and amusing read. I used to be such a big Crichton fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
November was mostly a DC-Vertigo month. There were a lot of comics that settled dust and wanted to be read.
The last installment of Swamp Thing #1 - # 29
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #1 - #9
Fables #29 - #51
Y - The Last Man #26 - #48
100 Bullets #50 - #75
and from Dark Horse: Conan #1 - #32 plus the spinoffs

Besides those only some HP Lovecraft:
At the Mountains of Madness
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.