Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I hear from ConsimWorld folks occassionally is that BGG is hard to navigate for them. Apparently, what some of them are referring to is an interface style where everything in a particular topic (say under a particular game entry) appears in a single thread, rather than as a bunch of separate threads. Now rather than debate which style is better (which is better done elsewhere), I am wondering if a "single thread" style could also be supported for those that prefer that style.

What I am thinking is that a "global history thread" would also be added to each game page. In it would be a linked list of entries in database date order from the various sub-sections that already exist in a game page: wiki history, images (by date), forum entries, file entries, geeklists. To construct this global history thread, probably there would need to be another set of previous/next navigation links added to the aforementioned items.

So if you wanted to read "single thread" style you would instead go to the "global history thread" for a game and then click on "next" (for the global history thread) to read the successive updates to the game. "Replies" to elements in this global history would be treated as replies to the respective forum thread or as image or file comments. "Updated game notifications" could simply provide a pointer into this "global history thread" instead of listing all the updates individually. I suppose you could apply this sort of treatment to Publisher or Designer pages too.

Well anyway, I know this is a bunch of work. So anyway, I just thought I would make the suggestion on how to help out the "single thread" style folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OM*G! ConSimWorld has to be one of the most ridiculously bad interfaces ever vomited onto the internet. BGG is the holy grail of website design compared to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, as I said before -- I don't want to get into a flame war about what interface style is better. (Personally, I am okay with either style.) I just want to suggest BGG be able to accomodate either preference. The idea is just to add to the site's growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm...not certain of the value of modifying the interface (a major project, eats time and money) to provide a way that folks can emulate a very poor interface that they're used to. I'd suggest that they may just try to use this one as is. Especially as CSW's is kinda tough to keep track of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.