Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: shipping [+] customs [+] [View All]
Andrew Cullen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother lives in Ireland and is heading out to see me in a few weeks for christmas. There are a few games I want that are available in Germany or the UK only but I haven't bothered paying the shipping for them to come to the US for fear of taxes or other high shipping costs.

My question is if I order from Germany and ship to Ireland, besides shipping that will be the only additional charges correct.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack H.
United Kingdom
Rochester
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct! Both Are European Union member states, so no taxes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cullen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that is not really true AFAIK. There are no customs in the EU, BUT as there is a different ammount of taxes in different countries they CAN charge you the difference when shipping cross country. Will they do? Extremely unlikely as long as you aren't a big company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Actually that is not really true AFAIK. There are no customs in the EU, BUT as there is a different ammount of taxes in different countries they CAN charge you the difference when shipping cross country. Will they do? Extremely unlikely as long as you aren't a big company.

Unless you're a company this isn't true. If you pay value tax in one country within the EU the other country can't charge you whatever the difference. The only exceptions are cars, boats and motorcycles I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Christiaens
Belgium
Oetingen
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the EU has decreed that customers always pay the VAT (Value Added tax) in the country in which the item is bought, with two exceptions:

1. Cars
2. 'Distance' sales (online retailers etc.) : So, when I order from Amazon.co.uk and have my order sent to Belgium, I pay UK prices and Amazon charges the Belgian VAT rate (I discovered this when I ordered books from Amazon Uk believing they would charge me the local VAT rate for books = 0%; big disappointment upon delivery...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sithspawn wrote:
I believe the EU has decreed that customers always pay the VAT (Value Added tax) in the country in which the item is bought, with two exceptions:

1. Cars
2. 'Distance' sales (online retailers etc.) : So, when I order from Amazon.co.uk and have my order sent to Belgium, I pay UK prices and Amazon charges the Belgian VAT rate (I discovered this when I ordered books from Amazon Uk believing they would charge me the local VAT rate for books = 0%; big disappointment upon delivery...)

The second part is only true if the company sell for more than a certain amount to the country in question. The sum is different for each country as they decide themselves but in Sweden it's 35000 €. If this is the case they have to apply the VAT rate for that country instead of the local one. So you should have bought from a smaller company that don't sell as much to Belgium and you'd have gotten away with 0% VAT.

I really doubt any of the on-line game sellers sell this much games abroad so you should be safe. Anyway, they have to let you know the price you'll pay at checkout with the correct VAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack H.
United Kingdom
Rochester
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Heldrup is completely right! It's the seller's responsibility to pay VAT charges as it depends upon their sales, so you shouldn't be stung by any hidden taxes; this should be included in the invoiced price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.