United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Santa targets have been assigned... Please start your engines!

www.boardgamegeek.com/secretsanta/target

If any retailers have deals/specials/etc... please post details in this thread.

Here's the country list breakdown:
Norway - 1
Hungary - 1
Japan - 1
British Isles - 1
Hong Kong - 1
Slovenia - 1
Austria - 1
Taiwan - 1
Israel - 1
Mexico - 1
Malaysia - 1
New Zealand - 2
South Korea - 2
Italy - 2
Brazil - 3
Singapore - 3
France - 4
Belgium - 4
Portugal - 4
Chile - 5
Finland - 5
Denmark - 5
Sweden - 6
Netherlands - 7
England - 9
Spain - 9
Germany - 11
Australia - 14
United Kingdom - 29
Canada - 47
USA - 468

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So let's say we wanted to ask a question of our Secret uhh... Kid? I dunno, what's the recipient of a Secret Santa?

Anyway...

Let's say we wanted to ask them a question without tipping our hats as to who we are? Is there some mechanism for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone have suggestions when your target is overseas? this is all new to me...hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
So let's say we wanted to ask a question of our Secret uhh... Kid? I dunno, what's the recipient of a Secret Santa?

Anyway...

Let's say we wanted to ask them a question without tipping our hats as to who we are? Is there some mechanism for that?

"Secret Victim" sounds like it would trigger NSA warnings. "Santa Victim" works.

Victim's gift ordered, and frankly, quite bizarre. Suprised I could track down anything on their Must Have list, actually. Thank you, www.boardgameseeker.com!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!!! I love shopping!!

Now to see if my FLGS has any of these OOP games on their shelves - hope I can snag one, wouldn't that be a GREAT Secret Santa gift, some game that's been OOP for a year or two? Wish me shopping luck!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my target's "must have" items are pre-release... strange. I think it might be a card saying "you've been enrolled in the GMT P500" for my victim this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:

Last year, my secret santa created a throwaway account on BGG to ask me a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
People who find they have an overseas victim may find something useful in the following thread. It's a list of game stores by location around the world accumulated from various separate threads.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hee.

Email sent, item ordered.

And now to await drool-inducing packages at work, and rub hands gleefully.

Hee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:
anyone have suggestions when your target is overseas? this is all new to me...hehe

Well, I have been assigned a target in the USA (I don't think I'm giving much away here, given the number of Geeks registered in the USA).

My first port of call will be one or two mail order retailers on your side of the Atlantic, which will reduce the shipping cost - and customs involvement - substantially. I am assuming they can deal with a delivery address in a different country from the billing address?

Now, let's see, do they do giftwrap ... ? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Tamminen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My target has only items on his wishlist. None played, rated or owned. It would've been fun to search through played games and try to figure out something outside of his wishlist. Guess I'll just have to live with it and send a good beginners game. I found some funny information from the posts website: playing cards and gambling material are illegal to send to the country in question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kelsey
United States
kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say that I really love this whole Secret Santa thing. I was a little disappointed to see that my target was in England, for this reason. The exchange rate is terrible right now, and this is going to make it pretty hard to get the amount of game I was hoping to give. My target for example has Keythedral on his wishlist. Thoughthammer - my usual supplier- has it for $32.47. Within the right range, even if shipping takes it a little over. I looked up a game site in the home town of my target in England, and they have it for £31.45. With the current exchange rate that is roughly $60. Ouch. Anything that costs over say £15 is going to be pretty expensive, plus shipping. Shipping from the US is also extremely expensive and moreover slow. Last year I know every effort was made to keep the target in the same country, but it seems to me that if Tim Synge's target is in the US, then this doesn't seem to be the case this year. It's not that I won't get my target a game, I will. It is just that he won't get the same kind of game I could send to someone in the US. There really is no solution that I see for this year, but hopefully next year (and I will certainly be ready to do it again next year) this will be taken into account.

On another note, if someone has a good suggestion for a better game vendor in England I should try, please send me a PM and I will check it out. I just want to send the most game possible for the money.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, because I enjoyed the Secret Santa gift giving last year, and I am still excited about it this year.

Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas, Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My target better have been nice this year, not naughty. Mission accomplished! Package on its way.

You aren't allowed to open before 12/25, right?

Out of curiosity, how many people signed up for Secret Santa this year. What is the breakdown by country?

Have fun everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Thomas
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of note, in case some people didn't think of this, as I first did.

Make sure to check your Santa Target's Owned list. My Target has one of eir Must Have's already. Good thing I checked eir Owned List to see that. Actually, I was checking eir Ratings List, to see what e liked in other games, and saw that a Must Have was marked as Owned.

Now to figure out how to get something to a destination across the Pacific without paying more than quadruple what the game would cost to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:

I have a 'SecretKid' from the USA. Sending a package the size and weight of a board game to norht america is about 25€ :-)

Easy solution: buy the game at a webstore located in your targets country. Thoughthammer does the job for me. I give my victims adress for shipping and use my own for payment - problem solved. This way I have more money to spend on the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
BobDodgerBlue wrote:
My target for example has Keythedral on his wishlist. Thoughthammer - my usual supplier- has it for $32.47. Within the right range, even if shipping takes it a little over. I looked up a game site in the home town of my target in England, and they have it for £31.45. With the current exchange rate that is roughly $60. Ouch. Anything that costs over say £15 is going to be pretty expensive, plus shipping.

I'd say that if you're in the US and your target is in the UK, $60 is probably the bare minimum you'll get away with (if you're looking at $30-$40 games). I just placed an order for a pretty nice game from a shop in the UK and it's going to be ~$65. Ah, well, he'll be most pleased.
Oh, and try Shire Games--nice selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BobDodgerBlue wrote:

On another note, if someone has a good suggestion for a better game vendor in England I should try, please send me a PM and I will check it out. I just want to send the most game possible for the money.

Although people in the UK can buy in the UK, it is pretty expensive compared to buying from a German store and having it shipped - maybe try that with some stores that US ppl buy from located in Germany? Anothe hint: in the UK it is difficult to get U.S. games like Rio Grande do...i.e. boardgames with the cards in English not German. Personally, I wuld prefer a US version of a German game which is shipped cheaply and arrives in January than a game in German that someone has payed a fortune for!!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:

In case there's not a more formal mechanism... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/137839

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J.
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I was all for this Secret Santa thing, but now I'm a bit miffed. Not only is my target overseas (and I can deal with that), but almost everything on their wishlist is either OOP, or so expensive it's beyond my means to procure.

Sorry to say, but unless that changes, I won't be able to follow through on my end. Wasn't everyone told to make their desires reasonable? The one thing they want that I can afford would give me an Ebeneezer complex.

Help a guy out here! shake What do I do? Do I get something not on their list and hope they're happy with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a target over seas. Is there a website translation thingy that I could use to view sites in english? I can't unfortunately read that language. Otherwise, I do have a friend who is that nationality and has relatives in that country! Still, I would like to try to do it myself. Also, what's the shipping rates for over seas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishlists are only suggestions - if there's nothing within your range, then go with something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you might also want to check their "want in trade" lists. Hey, Secret Santa - whoever you are - that might work for you, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the US Post Office international shipping calculator:

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Also, I ordered my game for my UK counterpart through Amazon, here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=article-geekdo-21

In the end, I paid about $75 for the game, but it's Christmas! It should be there in a few days!

(BTW-what is VAT?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Wilkes
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VAT is Value Added Tax. Basically sales tax, but it's almost always included in the posted price, so even though it's way high (17.5% last I knew) nobody really notices/minds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry K
United States
Bloomsburg
PA
flag msg tools
badge
I can has 18xx teacher?
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was lucky in that my "victim" devil lives in the USA. I hope they like it, first item on their list and they don't own it according to their owned list. I went with thoughthammer since I could ship it right to the person with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.