1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Common Characters/Themes Stats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
flag msg tools
There are jokes surrounding frequently used themes. Expansions will have names like "The Obligatory Lovecraft Expansion" or similar things. The gods and myths are used over and over. Characters in the public domain are plugged into every conceivable niche. The BGG forums decry the number of train-themed games. Or zombie games. Or...whatever the flavor of the month is.

So I'm curious. What character, theme, or binding element shows up most frequently in your collection? And what percentage of your collection does that represent?

I'll let you decide how tenuous the "binding element" can be. Maybe it's a previously-mentioned theme, like zombies. Maybe it's a character (in my collection, Sherlock Holmes is all over the place). Maybe it's more general, like "Japanese" themed games. Or anything else. I won't pretend to know where the line is; just as long as some methodology is put into it.

1. Your most frequently represented theme or character appears in how many games?
2. What percentage of your total game collection does the previous number represent?
      2 answers
Poll created by mawilson4

As mentioned, my Huckleberry is Sherlock Holmes. At no less than four games - Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, 221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game, Beyond Baker Street, and Mr. Jack - and eventually five once I have my Wishlist purchased (adding A Study in Emerald), he appears in 9.7% of my current collection (I ignored expansions that aren't standalone).

Factoring in my Wishlist, train games and Lovecraft come in at three. And numerous themes or characters have two, including Jack the Ripper, D&D, Shakespeare, Werewolves, Lord of the Rings, and others. Outside Sherlock, none really spring to mind as having a lion's share of my gaming attention.

What are yours? And do they consume your collection, or represent a fairly modest percentage?
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.