Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help! I just bought the regular Settlers of Catan game -- not the card game -- I realize that I confused the two since I realize now that the card game was the one everyone was saying was good for 2 people.

Anyway, can this one be played with just 2 also?

I need to know quick before I open it so I can return it if it can't be played with 2.

P.S. The store also had Puerto Rico....if I have to return Settlers, can Puerto Rico be played with 2?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can the basic Settlers of Catan game be played with just
Both can be, but especially SEttlers loses the whole trading aspect that makes it such a good game. I'd return it if you are solely looking for 2 player. Puerto Rico has several two players variants, but again, I'd play something else if I had two players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it can be played with two but it's nowhere near as good because of the lack of any trading. In general one person gets ahead and stays ahead because there isn't any mechanism (which is there with more players) to pull back the leader. Nowadays I'm not particularly keen on it even with more players, but when we first got it did play it quite extensively with two (lack of many alternatives at the time!). Set up is very important - almost more important than anything else, except possibly rolling lucky dice.

The card game is worth getting and is good fun for two. If you do enjoy it the expansions are worth getting as they introduce interesting new elements.

We also like Starship Catan, which is similar but quite jolly, and feels very gentle - in fact we often help each other by telling the other player which cards are in which pile (if they've seen them but can't exactly remember where). I think we generally play this when not feeling very competitive!

My advice would be to sell SoC if you can or swap for some 2 player games as it doesn't have many legs with two players.

Hope this helps, it's a shame you got the 'wrong' one. One thought would be to keep it and use it to introduce 'non-gamers' to these sorts of games as it does shine as a 'gateway' game.

Eddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people will tell you all sorts of things about not being able to play either with two, qouting optimal number of players, how they'd rather die than play it with anything else... but I play both against my boy with 2 players, and we really enjoy it. There's a 2-player version of PR out there that suits us just fine, and we just play SoC with the usual rules with two.

Now, there are better games for two. If you only have two players, and you've a limited game budget, then we'd all be tickled pink to ask you a few questions to figure out what you'd most likely be better off getting.

Good thing about PR and SoC w/2 is that if you ever plan on playing with others, than you'll have the rules down, be familiar with the game play, ready to go with two very popular games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you....I am gonna see if our son might want to play with us (he's a teenager now so it's doubtful), but if he doesn't I'll probably return it.

Thanks for the quick advice!

...Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirk 2 Player Variant to Settlers.

Let me give you a variant I played with several times that worked reasonably well.

You play with a dummy player.
1. During a player's turn he also can do a move for the dummy player to build, and expand, use resources the dummy player has (all cards are face up). The two players each put down one settlement and one road. Could be done at the start, or after both players put one of their settlements and roads down.
2. If the robber (7) is rolled, the player picks which resources the dummy player rolls.
3. During a player's turn, that player made trade with the dummy player. The first trade with the dummy player made consists of one card for any one card. The second trade would consist of two cards (by the player) for any one card (by the dummy player). Third trade is three cards of any type for one card the dummy player has. This keeps increasing by one.

Call it the Dirk variant to Settlers if you like (Dirk being from Alhambra).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dave on this, whether you enjoy Settlers with 2 or not depends upon yourself. Granted it is MUCH better with 3/4 (I prefer 3) but I have played many, many 2 player games of Settlers (and of Puerto Rico) and enjoyed them all immensely. The Settlers Card game is designed for two but played longer in my experience, as does Starship Catan (great game too) so may be a challenge if time is a crunch. I also really enjoy Ticket to Ride with two in a similar vein, but it is better with more. With two however, it is more relaxing (less blocking) and more or a social game. I also think RA (which is stricly a 3-5 player game according to the rules) plays very well with two. And Carcassonne. And Masons. And Goa. And Thurn and Taxis. And..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tapestry wrote:
Thank you....I am gonna see if our son might want to play with us (he's a teenager now so it's doubtful), but if he doesn't I'll probably return it.

Come on, we're all itching to give you advice, what type of game are you looking for? Is this for you and your husband? How long would a 'perfect game' last? How 'heavy' (complex) would it be; how hard do you want to think? What do you like in a game? What are some of your favorite games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I posted another thread on here a few days ago which answers all those questions! It's on the thread called "really long and complex game for 2 players" or something like that...

I was looking for a long and meaty game for me and my husband to play and I got tons of responses! I decided to go out tonight and get one of the games recommended, however, our local hobby shop has nil in the way of any of these games, so the closest place I could go to that would have any of 'em was Barnes and Nobles which only has Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico game and since I *really* wanted to play a new game tonight, I figured I'd get the SoC game as I thought that had been one of the ones recommended to me for 2 players...

However, when I got home and checked the geek board again, I realized it wasn't the SoC board game they were talking about -- it was the SoC card game!

Anyway, we decided to give it a roll (no pun intended) and we're gonna see how things shake out (no pun intended) as a 2-player game...

I'll keep ya posted as to how things go!

Thanks a bunch!

...Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many Settlers variants specifically for 2 players.

Have a look at:

http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/brewerytap/1/IntSett.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted Settlers, but most of the time, it's only me and my wife, but I've found a 2 player variant at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/60692

We loved it! it's almost the same, but obviously, there is a bit less trading.

And the game is scalable to 4 easily!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 2 player Settlers (not as much as 3 player, but its still good). The only difference in play is that we each start with three settlements instead of two, and the game lasts maybe a half hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers and Puerto Rico both can be played with two. And as a number of people have already said, they enjoy playing these games with two players. However, you should understand that neither game was designed to be played with two players. You're a lot more likely to get responses in this thread saying how great these games are with 2 players because of response bias. The people who don't like or have never even tried these games with 2 players won't bother to respond, and the few who have tried these variants and enjoyed them will respond. But if you're looking for two-player games, then Settlers and Puerto Rico will work, but there are hundreds of fabulous games out there that were meant to be played with two, and if you're new to eurogames in general then I strongly recommend starting with games that were designed for two players, and later getting into modifying games with variants to suit your circumstances. There are tons of great GeekLists and forum threads out there recommending lots of games for couples that you should check out. The Settlers Cardgame is one of many good two-player games to consider, but you should think about what length of time you want a game to last, price, etc. Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.