Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest June 2015
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the year 2015.
That is 10 price money per month - unconditionally!

WOHOOOO!!!

This month let's go for something that is a bit morbid: Killing people is in most countries in this world illegal. (Since we're at it: anyone here, who can confirm that killing people is legal in his country?)
Yet, there are individuals that are trained in killing others. But not in a team. I'm not talking about soldiers here. I'm talking about those, for which killing has become an art. I'm talking about the requirement for this month. I'm talking about an

Assassin

Remember: The requirement is a requirement - not a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.
Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mAnIk Farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Theme!

Im not starting yet tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fernandez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Good theme, but would be better if the "new theme" is completely different than the last month.

Knight and Assassin in some ways are similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent B
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read the word Assassin, I instantly remember the beginning of Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids" where the main character who has been training in the Assassin's school has to do his final exam, which resembles a driving test :)

I hope this month I can submit something to the competition ^^'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
pulpapocalipsis wrote:
As I read the word Assassin, I instantly remember the beginning of Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids" where the main character who has been training in the Assassin's school has to do his final exam, which resembles a driving test

I hope this month I can submit something to the competition ^^'
You know, when I saw the word I was thinking of something along the lines of an obstacle course... actually, a Terry Pratchett-esque assassin's run to kill Vimes would be a hilarious premise for a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardmeeple wrote:
Good theme, but would be better if the "new theme" is completely different than the last month.

Once again: "Assassin" is NOT a THEME!

It's a REQUIREMENT!

As in: It is up to you, how you manage to get "Assassin" into your game.
Let's say, you submit a game about harvesting crops and at one point in your rulebook an assassin peeks in, the requirement has been met!

Aside from that: Assassins and knights are trained to kill. That is, where the similarities end ...

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

This month let's go for something that is a bit morbid: Killing people is in most countries in this world illegal. (Since we're at it: anyone here, who can confirm that killing people is legal in his country?)

Well, until recently there was this (not in my country though):

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/29/basques-safe-ic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

It's a REQUIREMENT!

Sorry, what was that? I'm blind in that ear cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
boardmeeple wrote:

It's a REQUIREMENT!

Let's say, you submit a game about harvesting crops and at one point in your rulebook an assassin peeks in, the requirement has been met!

Aside from that: Assassins and knights are trained to kill. That is, where the similarities end ...

Kind regards,
Kai

This is true. Last year I did a game called Gothico. The requirement was "gothic". I made a western style game about murder in a silver mining town of Gothic, Colorado.

I also posted some new ideas for "requirements" on the 24 hour thread. Kai has a thing for people who like to murder. There is no problem with that, it sells in the game world. I am looking at past contests I did. Ninjas, Pirates and cyborgs was a 3 month run he went on. Maybe he will go with military, knights, assassins and gangsters or something! I was looking for a pattern in Kai's choices. We will see what happens the rest of the year.

I always look forward to the new theme/requirements Kai chooses. I force myself to do it, no matter what it is. It has been really tough a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a basic question about thee 24 hour contests: How many published games have resulted from these contests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
I have a basic question about thee 24 hour contests: How many published games have resulted from these contests?

2 for me so far, but maybe 4 or 5 more this year. It depends on how they are published and how much work goes into them after the contest. It also depends on how complicated the game is. I want to go back and work on all the games i designed for this contest, but I don't know where to find the time. If anything it is a great experience builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but of the 13 games I've created for these contests:

6 have been playtested quite a lot and are what I consider finished*. Though I have yet to add 4 of them to BGG (up until this month I lacked the time.) All of these are self-published as print-and-play games, 1 is even on The Game Crafter.
2 need playtesting before I consider them complete - but the game and artwork is what I would call done.
4 need more work on the game or components, as well as playtesting before I consider them done.
1 I hate so much I'm not going to bother to work on it ever again. shake

Though, these contests aren't so much about getting published games, but getting a fully-playable game in 24 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep coming up with these enticing themes requirements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

One of the two or three I've done is on the database, but as Carrie says it is about going through the whole game making process. You don't necessarily make a good game, but you challenge yourself and explore the whole game making process while you do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Banchini
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!
I start the contest now at 14:02 (Italy time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Banchini
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My contest ends now

Rules link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LmgdcezunKszjgoP5DxhoxXg...

Token and cards Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2AYvb5mOuhqLW9DQU1UMVpCUj...

I have used images a little too big so the tokens and cards are near 300Mb... soblue

Ok, this is all the material, I'm really sorry for my bad English. I have noticed on the upload that there is a grammar error on a card I wrote "Councelor", sorry again. I hadn't enough time to re-upload everything.

This game is Called "King's Death" and is about the intestine wars in the court to be the successor of the king. All the game is based on the secret placing of tokens to bribe, spy or kill other character's emissaries.

Is for 2 to 4 players and take 30-40 min

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
You don't necessarily make a good game, but you challenge yourself and explore the whole game making process while you do so.

Hmm...maybe I should post mine after all. I cranked it out in 24 hours, but I think it needs more work before it'd be really fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
boardmeeple wrote:

It's a REQUIREMENT!

Kind regards,
Kai

This is true. Last year I did a game called Gothico. The requirement was "gothic". I made a western style game about murder in a silver mining town of Gothic, Colorado.

I also posted some new ideas for "requirements" on the 24 hour thread. Kai has a thing for people who like to murder. There is no problem with that, it sells in the game world. I am looking at past contests I did. Ninjas, Pirates and cyborgs was a 3 month run he went on. Maybe he will go with military, knights, assassins and gangsters or something! I was looking for a pattern in Kai's choices. We will see what happens the rest of the year.

I always look forward to the new theme/requirements Kai chooses. I force myself to do it, no matter what it is. It has been really tough a few times.

So can I get away with my game being called "Ass! Ass! In!" ? surprise
Hmmm, what kind of mechanics would work here ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

It better be the type that requires dancing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
Hmm...maybe I should post mine after all. I cranked it out in 24 hours, but I think it needs more work before it'd be really fun to play.

Definitely. I think that there are very few (if any) games entered into the contests that wouldn't benefit from a load of extra work (though some are remarkably good given the constraint). But having a perfect game isn't the point, it's having a game at all. And nothing is stopping you doing further development afterwards. We'd love to see what you've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

Sounds like a game where you have to get your "donkey" into a "stable"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fernandez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
My game for June.

The Hidden Weapon Market

In this game we will be Assassin who wants the best "equipment" for do our jobs (kill people).
The objetive is get the "best equipment" paying with money or "objects".

The Market is owned by the Mafia.

24 starting from NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
HuggableHamster wrote:
You don't necessarily make a good game, but you challenge yourself and explore the whole game making process while you do so.

Ok, here it is. It plays, but probably not as well as it could. I give you Character Assassin:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wra6n7qhzcb15q1/AACYgPSh8a7Zw9kFw...

And since I'm very new at Dropbox, let me know if the link doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link works just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |