Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I am one of the few who managed to get the english version before the recall. Fun little game. One question. The rules specify that the fool/charlatan card are effectively unlimited. There are only a few of them though. As fools are turned over to become charlatans and youo collect another fool, the cards can eventually run out. So what does it mean that the cards are effectively unlimited? What do you do when the cards are all claimed? Am I missing something very basic here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Fools/Charlatans are the "cards of last resort" for when a player goes bust. Taking any other card is generally better than taking a Fool (though once you have a Fool, taking a Charlatan -- and losing your Fool -- may be better than taking some other cards, depending on the game situation).

A typical game will only see maybe one or two Fool/Charlatan cards in play, if any at all.

But, in theory, it is possible for all of them to be in play and then a player without a Fool to go bust. In that case (which I have never seen occur), use a coin (head's up) to mark this Fool, flipping it over during a turn after using the Fool's power. Does this make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
Mu understanding of the game is that there should be 1 Fool/Charlatan card per player in any game. Thus, each player can "purchase" a Fool during their turn, if they have no other option. Also, any player with a Fool can "upgrade" the Fool to a Charlatan on a later turn - by turning the card over - but no player may have both a Fool AND a Charlatan. You can only have 1 of these cards, showing one side or the other, but not two cards showing the two different sides.

If this is not the case, then I welcome a future clarification.

You can only have one Fool but you may have any number of Charlatans. Once you have converted a Fool into a Charlatan, you no longer have a Fool, so you may, if circumstances require, take another Fool, which could then be converted into another Charlatan.

Having multiple Charlatans is a consolation prize... It may keep you in the game, but other cards are much better choices. Charlatans essentially avoid player elimination early in the game.

In my experience, it is unlikely that you will ever run out of Charlatans. But if you do, simply use a different colored die to represent the Charlatan, or a Coin or some other marker to represent the Charlatan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Excellent, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mr. Kim Beattie is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Saburn
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm still confused. All the English translations here (which I am relying on) state that there is one joker/charlatan per player in the game. So a two player game starts with two jokers and a player could own a max of one joker & one charlatan (with none available to the other player.) Are the translations correct? This thread implies otherwise. If they are wrong, what should they say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Unlimited Fool/Charlatan cards (as noted in the TCtK rules). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this is very rarely an issue in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.