Subject: Rules clarifications: building and powerplants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie S
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
We played a great round of Power Grid tonight with only minor confusion with the rules:

1) Can someone clarify the "leapfrog" rule for me? What caused problems for us was trying to understand if these cities were connected or not connected, and how to determine so. I had the idea to turn the original city on its side to represent the original grid and network, essentially saying that the leapfrogged city had to connect back to the network at some point to count towards the beauracracy phase. Is that correct?

2) Why is it that you remove the lowest powerplant only once between Step 1 and 2? I am right in assuming that only happens once, ya?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Cities are connected to your network if and only if they have a house in them.

You can connect a city to your network by paying the fee for the city (10, 15, or 20), plus any combination of connection costs between cities that gets you to another city on your network. I would recommend the smallest combination.

That's it. There ain't no more.

2) To provide some additional incentive to start step two: it gives some advantage (or less disadvantage, at least) to going first the first turn after step two begins. It also tends to happen that a plant in the 11-16 (or so) range gets stuck in the market at or about this time in the game, and this gets rid of it.

Cool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Think of the numbers on the pipelines as kilometers or miles between the cities. Whenever you place a new house (after the first) you must pay 1 Electro for each kilometer/mile between the new city and the closest city you have a house in:

So if you started by building in Flensburg you will need to pay 4 + 8 Electro in order to build in Hamburg (in addition to the cost for the actual space in the city (10, 15 or 20 Electro).

All cities are connected by the network, you just have to pay the mileage to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.