Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does both spaces of an E-web have to be as close as possible to the deployment point (example 1) or is it enough that 1 space meets the requirement (example 2)?

B = Blocked deployment point
E = E-web

example 1
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][B][ ]
[ ][E][E]

example 2
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][B][ ]
[ ][ ][E][E]

In one mission I intentionally blocked a spawn point where I knew a figure would be deployed, to give it a little bit of head start. The Rebels accused me of exploiting the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there is no facing, one space of the large figure occupying the closest possible space is enough (in the order on the deployment point, adjacent, distance 2, etc.)

I don't remember though how I came to this opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Because there is no facing, one space of the large figure occupying the closest possible space is enough (in the order on the deployment point, adjacent, distance 2, etc.)

Sorry to possibly be ignorant, but what exactly has this to do with facing?

In my opinion there are two possible rulings:
a) The setup with the most adjacent spaces to the deployment point occupied by the figure is "closest"
b) You only measure the smallest distance (as with ranged attacks) from the deployment point to the figure, which is in both cases 1, therefore both are legal

I do not think that the rules handle this question, so it might be a good idea to just ask it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, facing does not have anything to do with it specifically because there is no facing in the game. So, my apologies for using that term.

Counting Spaces does not take the minimum, maximum, or the average from all of the large-figure's spaces to a target figure/space. Adjacency and Counting Spaces cares only about any appropriate space the figure occupies. There is no additional requirement in the rules that say you must have all spaces of a figure adjacent or as near as possible, whether Counting Spaces is used for determining the required accuracy, distance for an ability, movement, or deployment/reinforcement.

So, it should be clear that it is b).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Counting Spaces does not take the minimum, maximum, or the average from all of the large-figure's spaces to a target figure/space.

Okay, I made my point not clear in a).
I meant you measure from a possible spaces the figure occupies the distance to the deployment point by using the measure of counting spaces (as with ranged attacks).
You then are only allowed to take those setups which are legal and result in a minimum of this measured distance.

Quote:

Deployment (Rule Reference, pg.11)
When the location for a figure’s deployment is not specified, it
is deployed as close as possible to any active deployment point
shown in the mission’s diagram, chosen by the Imperial player.
This includes the space containing the deployment point.

Reading it again, I would agree that "as close as possible" is meant in a way that you use the measure of counting spaces. It seems intuitive and I would probably rule it the same way. Still, it might be worth a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's covered in the Placement rules. You place the large figure in a single space that is closest to the deployment point, but placing a large figure also means you must be able to place it in all the other spaces it ends up covering.

Thus, the rules support that you must place the large figure so that its space that is closest to the deployment point is as close as possible. You do not have to check the other spaces for closeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. It's somewhat funny though, if thinking in terms of movement points (and yes, I know they're irrelevant when counting spaces), because the large figure would've had to spend two movement points to get to the corner spot in example 2 vs. one movement point in example 1. That's quite a boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls