Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: CardHaus Customer Service over E-Mail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spencer
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little apprehensive about posting this given the recent furor over starspangledgirl's thread about her "Ding & Dent" purchase from CardHaus (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137836/page/1), but this is the second time I've had this sort of experience with the company and I just needed to let off a little of my frustration at the situation by venting it to some other gamers.
Basically, I made a large order at CardHaus on Monday or Tuesday but then realized I had made a mistake on it, so I emailed CardHaus and requested that BattleLore be removed from the order and add two other games instead. My exact words were "Instead of Battlelore, could I replace that with the Marvel Heroes Boardgame by Fantasy Flight and Memoir '44: Pacific Expansion?"
The reply I got was a bit strange: "I can easily do this, which Memoir '44 expansion would you like to add? As soon as I know this I can alter your order. Thank you and have a pleasant day. "
I thought I had indicated which one I wanted when I said "Memoir '44: Pacific Expansion", but whatever. So I responded: "The Pacific Theater expansion, please."
The next reply made me wonder: "I have added the requested item to your order. Thank you and have a pleasant day. "

Errr...wait a minute...what about the other changes I requested to my order? And what's my order look like now anyway (how much are you charging my card, etc.)? The requestec item? What about the other requested item and the one I wanted removed?
All in all, it's very nice for CardHaus to change my order for me after I had already placed it, but, man, whoever is running the email side of things needs to read customer emails a little more carefully - it really didn't seem to me that this person was really paying attention to what I actually said. So I've written them another email. We'll see what happens. Maybe I should call them instead - perhaps their phone person is a bit better with communication.
Again, I give CardHaus props for being willing to change my order, but I'm a little frustrated with the communications side of their business (at least when it comes to handling emails) - this is the second order this sort of thing has happened on (and on the previous order I was asking questions about my preorders, not trying to change my order at all). I'm probably overreacting, though.
Other than poor communication every time I've made contact with them, though, dealing with CardHaus has been an excellent experience adn that's why I still came back (that and the 10% off for November).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm probably overreacting, though.


Agreed.

Quote:
Other than poor communication every time I've made contact with them, though, dealing with CardHaus has been an excellent experience adn that's why I still came back (that and the 10% off for November).


Huh? Since they've not screwed up an order it seems the comm is fine. Perhaps you need to phone your orders in. Or maybe even buy locally where you KNOW what you bought when you take it to the counter.

This is a weird post... it implies that Cardhaus is somehow not a good outfit yet you say just the opposite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm just glad to see that BoardGameGeeks are writing less about games and more about business practices of retailers and the depth of the discounts they are receiving.

Two big trends here. One is the rise of overzealously jealous gamers who wish they had the finances to run their own store (which would of course be ran perfectly). The other is the rise of the cheap as dirt gamers that believe that they should set the price of the games they buy, otherwise the seller should give them the game for free (in other words a welfare state for greedy gamers).

These trends are not flattering the community and don't speak well for the future of this niche hobby.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spencer
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Huh? Since they've not screwed up an order it seems the comm is fine. Perhaps you need to phone your orders in. Or maybe even buy locally where you KNOW what you bought when you take it to the counter.


I wasn't pleased w/the communication due to the apparent lack of carefully reading my emails, as I hoped was clear from my post. Messing up an order is not the only of communicating badly (just ask my wife ). And, yes, I already noted (or at least alluded to) the stuff about phoning in my post - I agree that maybe I should call them as I would probably get a quicker, more careful response. The mixing up what I originally ordered was completely at my end of things, though, so the original order would have been messed up no matter how I had placed it (yes, I was an idiot and forgot that I had already ordered BattleLore from ebay to get the Hill Giant).

Quote:
This is a weird post... it implies that Cardhaus is somehow not a good outfit yet you say just the opposite.


I'm not sure how it implies that - that wasn't the intent, which I had hoped would be made clear from the comments I used to bookend my post. Just because I'm not happy w/ a particular aspect of a company doesn't mean it's not a good company - which I attempted to make clear by noting some of what I did like about them.

I hope that clarifies my intentions. Again, I just wanted to let off a little steam and I thought BGG would be an appropriate place to do it as I would be speaking to fellow boardgame consumers who may have had similar experiences to this one with this or other companies and hence may understand what I am going through. Maybe that will help you understand the apparent weirdness of the post. Then again, maybe this reply is just as weird!
Thanks for the consideration, Tripp!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spencer
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One is the rise of overzealously jealous gamers who wish they had the finances to run their own store (which would of course be ran perfectly). The other is the rise of the cheap as dirt gamers that believe that they should set the price of the games they buy, otherwise the seller should give them the game for free (in other words a welfare state for greedy gamers).


Er...I hope you're not putting me in either of those camps (it's hard to tell, as this comment was posted under my thread). As I stated, I just wanted to vent. That's it. I'm not complaining about prices at all (in fact, I think CH's prices are among the best, which is why I will continue to buy from them. Nor do I really want to run my own store - that sounds like far too much reatail businessy type work, which I'm no fan of doing myself (I prefer research and teaching).

And yes, I think BGG needs to continue with its gaming content, but the forums are there for a reason - to allow people to say or discuss almost whatever they feel like. So if someone decides to complain about game prices (which is certainly not tangentially related to the site's theme), I don't see what's wrong with that from a BGG standpoint (even if there may be other things wrong about the particular complaint). Allowing people an open forum like that is part of why this site exists. I agree, though, that if all we ever saw was complaints that this would indeed get tiresome (another reason I was apprehensive about posting my thread - I didn't want to overcontribute to the ample negativity that sometimes shows up here - hence why I attempted, successful or not, to indicate why I was doing this and that I didn't think CH was total crap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Give the customer service rep a break, she was probably busy stepping on Aton boxes at the time.


I've never dealt with CardHaus, so I am neutral on the subject.

The above, however, made me snort Pibb through my nose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
No, I'm not putting you in either column I was outlining directly, though I am putting you in the excessive complaining about minute business practices camp. The fact is that if I'm going to see 20 threads about Cardhaus today, I'm probably going to post in the one with the least comments and treat one as a continuation of the other, so that is the reason for the comments not relating to you.

And I know what forums are and do, but they are being used differently on BGG now than they used to be, as there is now a rising tide of mean-spirited nonsense. That isn't directed to you specifically, however I wonder which retailer BGG is going to thrash to the ground next, and if their ire will be fair or unwarranted.

If you do receive the correct games in your order, you should realize that your argument will be that a person didn't communicate to your standards, which might be considered petty as you actually received the exact games you ordered, and thus received good service.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schneider
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Well, it is a big deal because the customer service rep is not being paying much attention to detail. He should've sent you an e-invoice through email with the updated changes just for your own record.

Is it the end of the world? No. Does it mean Cardhaus is a bad business? Of course not. But it does mean they should improve upon their customer service. Definitely not very professional.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
eschaton1000 wrote:
Errr...wait a minute...what about the other changes I requested to my order? And what's my order look like now anyway (how much are you charging my card, etc.)? The requestec item? What about the other requested item and the one I wanted removed?


You could have pre-emptively handled and prevented this problem. It basically comes down to over-communicating and being very specific:


I recently placed order number 782134:

FooGame Quantity:1 Code:XYZQRS01 (for stores with product codes)
BarGame Quantity:2 Code:XYZQRS05
BazGame Quantity:1 Code:XYZQRS09
...etc

I'd like to change my order and replace FooGame with
QQQ and replace BazGame with RRR so that my resulting
order is:

QQQ Quantity:1 Code:XYZQRS37
BarGame Quantity:2 Code:XYZQRS05
RRR Quantity:1 Code:XYZQRS11
...etc

Please confirm that you can can ship the exact
order listed immediately above. Please also
provide any changes in S&H charges or expected
delivery date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
CSTGator wrote:
Well, it is a big deal because the customer service rep is not being paying much attention to detail.


Most awesome sentence I've ever read on the geek... ever.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
generalpf wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Or maybe even buy locally where you KNOW what you bought when you take it to the counter.

No way, only suckers buy locally.


Seconded.


Hopefully you and Ryan have a source of income that is either internet-based or isn't subject to being underbid by foreign outsourcing. If that ever happened to you why, then you'd be the sucker. Wouldn't you?

Main Entry: avarice
Part of Speech: n
Definition: excessive or insatiable desire or greed; cupidity
Etymology: Latin avere 'to covet'


In my experience it's more often the buyer or customer who feels entitled to undermine, trick or steal from the seller. An avaricious person feels entitled to more than what he or she is entitled to and views any shortfall in what they feel they deserve as the nefarious practices of another.

Plus, they have a habit of calling anyone who makes a profit greedy and anyone who feels that some things are more important than price is a sucker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David, Just wanted to say that I thought your original post did a very nice job of explaining your minor quibble, while still clarifying that you thought the business was still good and generally reliable. I have never done business with Cardhaus, so I can't comment on their service, but I thought your comments were interesting, well-written, and clear. Thanks for sharing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
Yes yes, we all know what you think... and it's still just as irrelavent . The vast majority of those "things more important than price" are ridiculous claims, unsupported by any rational, valid argument.


Nice. Hopefully you get a good price on a wife and an even better price on happiness. And man, if you ever have kids, make sure you check the close-out racks. And while you're at it, I'm betting there's lots of doctors over there in Maryland who'll cut you a bargain-basement deal on health care and even surgery. After all, why pay for quality? There is no rational, valid argument for that. Right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
Yes yes, we all know what you think... and it's still just as irrelavent . The vast majority of those "things more important than price" are ridiculous claims, unsupported by any rational, valid argument.


Nice. Hopefully you get a good price on a wife and an even better price on happiness. And man, if you ever have kids, make sure you check the close-out racks. And while you're at it, I'm betting there's lots of doctors over there in Maryland who'll cut you a bargain-basement deal on health care and even surgery. After all, why pay for quality? There is no rational, valid argument for that. Right?

As long as my surgeon *rocks* at Operation, I'll be in good hands

Tom
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
DWTripp wrote:
An avaricious person feels entitled to more than what he or she is entitled to and views any shortfall in what they feel they deserve as the nefarious practices of another.


The dollars in your wallet are your entitlement (insert local currency as needed). There's no long or shortfall, just a simple equation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
Yes yes, we all know what you think... and it's still just as irrelavent . The vast majority of those "things more important than price" are ridiculous claims, unsupported by any rational, valid argument.


Nice. Hopefully you get a good price on a wife and an even better price on happiness. And man, if you ever have kids, make sure you check the close-out racks. And while you're at it, I'm betting there's lots of doctors over there in Maryland who'll cut you a bargain-basement deal on health care and even surgery. After all, why pay for quality? There is no rational, valid argument for that. Right?


Ok, that was pretty funny.

I'm curious, though. Why do "only suckers buy locally"? I'm interested in the rational, valid argument for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
An avaricious person feels entitled to more than what he or she is entitled to and views any shortfall in what they feel they deserve as the nefarious practices of another.


The dollars in your wallet are your entitlement (insert local currency as needed). There's no long or shortfall, just a simple equation.


Gee. You must be fun to hang around with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:

Dude, it's time to face the facts: you didn't go out of business because of online stores, you went out of business because you were a lousy manager.


?

What an odd thing to say. Given that you have zero idea whether I was a good manager or not. In fact, you don't even know that I "went out of business". Check back with me when you've started and run a business that lasted 23 years, put two kids through college, bought a house, a ranch, a few Harleys, paid off an ex-wife or two and supported 4 additional kids, 15 horses and an addiction to single malt scotch and amassing large quantities of games.

If you ain't got anything to back up your "facts", then the real fact is you're full of shit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:

Touché.


Heh. Well said. And in truth, I meant "full of shit" only in the positive sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
generalpf wrote:

Touché.


Heh. Well said. And in truth, I meant "full of shit" only in the positive sense.

Glad to see you guys have made up kiss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
...

*awkwardly backs out of room*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
"Can't we ALL just 'game' along together?..." but, seriously folks, reading & comprehension IS "fundamental", while NO unquashed 'corners' need to be "cut" from any 'routine', just take a moment to READ it fully and THEN make a "misjudgement" based upon it ALL eh?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
generalpf wrote:

Touché.


Heh. Well said. And in truth, I meant "full of shit" only in the positive sense.

Glad to see you guys have made up kiss


It's never a real issue here on BGG Tom. Ryan and I see eye-to-eye on perhaps three things in the universe... the need for oxygen and food being two of those three. Beyond that we've always gotten along very well. Despite the fact that he's Canadian.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
DWTripp wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
An avaricious person feels entitled to more than what he or she is entitled to and views any shortfall in what they feel they deserve as the nefarious practices of another.


The dollars in your wallet are your entitlement (insert local currency as needed). There's no long or shortfall, just a simple equation.


Gee. You must be fun to hang around with.


Are you going to propose a better form of entitlement for retail sales?

To quote the VP of Marketing at one of my old startups:

Open legs for open wallets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Is there still a place for a FLGS, yep but it appears to be fading. Is there some ethical reason to shop there instead of online, nope. Are you supporting the hobby any more by shopping there, nope.


Ethical reason: Support your community (as a whole, not just the boardgame community) by investing your dollars locally. Every dollar you spend locally stays in your community and is reinvested. Every dollar you spend locally contributes to the local tax base and provides funding for government programs. Every dollar you spend at an out of state, online retailer is untaxed and is generally unrecovered.

Supporting the Hobby: Supporting the hobby is more than just making sure the publishers get paid. It is ensuring a visible, respectable public presence. It is contributing to a positive public image of gamers as something more than smelly gamerz who can't get dates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.