Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Michael Cheong
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've seen the topic crop up dozens of times but spare me an ear for the moment. As suggested, I'm looking for a game that plays well with 2, my girlfriend and I. So far, we've played and enjoyed the following: Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Alhambra and DisX (for a filler game). We're yet to try Citadels, but having played the game often, I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Now, for the complicating factors.

Firstly, I'm looking for a game that plays well with 2 but also scales well. I play often with 4-5 players and I want a game that I can take out and play with my girlfriend, but also clock in with my gaming friends.

The other problem is that I'm a fan of heavier games (being the chronic gamer; I love Antike, aGoT, most Euros) and she (being the accommodating girlfriend of a chronic gamer) understandably prefers the lighter fare. Yes, I like TtR and Carc, but sometimes I long for something fresh and more challenging. Ok this isn't a requirement but it would be nice.

Finally, the game needs to be theme-y. It doesn't have to ooze theme, but abstracts and overly Knizia games are a definite out. She enjoyed Samurai, which I like, but I could see her brains frying somewhat after the second game (we played with 4). Basically, something not too mathematical.

And even after meeting all these requirements, I'll also have to hope that the boardgame store here stocks it up soon, because I want to buy it next week So maybe a variety of games would be nice.

Tikal was a horrible flop. We've been recommended Runebound: 2nd Ed and Gloom. If there's anywhere I can find suggestions, it'll be here. Please fire away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape maybe? Or Dungeon Twister with multiplayer expansion? Last but not least...Puerto Rico...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think she'd like any co-op (games you play on the same side) games?

And, since Runebound's been recommended already, do you think she would like a pseudo Role Playing Game kind of genre?

I ask to add filters to the recommendations.

I totally understand the personal angst of wanting heavier games, but needing to match other's desires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheong
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke wrote:
Do you think she'd like any co-op (games you play on the same side) games?

And, since Runebound's been recommended already, do you think she would like a pseudo Role Playing Game kind of genre?

I think co-op would be extremely fun. I've seen snippets of LotR and Betrayal at HotH and they look promising. They're not 2-player though

RPGs would be great actually. She likes to be a kick-some-monster-ass heroine, she's played Diablo 2 and yeah, she pretty much would enjoy an RPGish game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then World of Warcraft might be fun as well as War of the Rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I, personally, didn't like it very much, but Wiz-War might suit your needs well. 2 to 4 player, Fantasy/RPG elements, not too math-y.

The store near you won't likely have it or be stocking it anytime soon, though. It's been out of print for a while (constant plans to reprint).

As for something presently in print - from what I've heard, Drakon may suit your needs. But I haven't, personally, played it. Can Drakon fans pipe up as to its play with 2 and scaling up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
BAHOTH can kinda work with 2 people (each of you playes 2 charaters and when one goes traitors you throw out the extra player).

though its really better 3+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV works well for two players and scales up to four. I think the theme fits well or, at least, it's fairly consistent. The game is not overly heavy but it's got some heft. I recommend using the two player variant with two neutral colours. I'd suggest Goa as well, but that is a bit heavier. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal could be 2 player. Give each person a few heros. Once the haunt begins, give all the remaining people to the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bryson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjackso wrote:
Knizia's LOTR co-op game is excellent with 2P.

I agree. My spouse and I have played 2P several times (2 hobbits each), and the game was as good as with 4P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I second the suggestion of Louis XIV. Further, I'd suggest PR's little brother, San Juan. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays well with 2 and scales up to 4-5 well? That's a TALL order. There aren't many games that fit this criteria at all, especially when you add in that it has to be light enough for your girlfriend to enjoy. Let’s look over what you’ve been told so far :

Runebound : That DOES fit your criteria. I’d question whether or not is has girlfriend appeal (my fiancé finds it too cumbersome and she was a Diablo fiend), but if you think yours would go for it, then that might be your best bet. It’s not all that interactive amongst the players, but that’s usually a plus for females.

Heroscape : Works with 2. Doesn’t scale up very well. Takes a lifetime to set-up. However, it IS visually appealing. Might work for you, but it didn’t for me. J

Dungeonquest : It’s a two-player game where you can buy expansions for multi-player. She might like it, but it’s more chess-like than RPG-like.

Puerto Rico : Is that a joke? Horrible with 2 players and it’s WAY too deep to appeal to someone wanting a light game.

LotR : That could work for you. You’ll need to look into the game to see if the appeal is there or not.

Drakon : Works better with fewer people because of the chaos that can come about, but if you’re wanting a light game that can scale, this might be a good choice.

Betrayal : Hmmm. If YOU learned all of the rules and managed all of the game mechanics in the background, she might like it. I find it a bit fiddly for my tastes.

Louis XIV : I don’t know. Our group didn’t really care for this one and I wouldn’t imagine it’d go over better with two players.

San Juan : Could be a good idea. My fiancée will play this one two player with me and I don’t have trouble getting a full set of four players at the gaming group.

So what can I add to the list? Well, here are some games that work with 2, scale up to more, and I can get my fiancés to play :

Ingenious : The neat thing is we can play it with two and then if we have another couple over, she makes an excellent partner. J

Carcasonne : Just about any one of them is decent, but I prefer Hunters & Gatherers.

Blokus : Really only works with 2 or 4, but a good simple interesting game.

Attika : Scales really well. At first glance I wouldn’t have thought she’d go for it, but she just loves it. Doesn’t hurt that she usually wins as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheong
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been sieving through them and I just have a few questions to clear up.

So far, San Juan, Runebound and Knizia's LotR (War of the Ring, is it?) seem like good bets. Just wanna ask how "complicated" are these games?

I suppose Runebound is pretty much a boardgame equiv of hack-and-slash, but what about San Juan and War of the Ring? I was thinking about the games that she likes (TtR, Carcassonne, Alhambra, Samurai) and I realised that the common thread in all of them is that they don't have too many decisions to make. At the same time, they also allow for forward-planning. Compare that to Tikal, which lets you choose from too many things in one turn. Fun for some, me included, but it seems she doesn't like it. Samurai seems to follow vaguely down this path too. Simplicity of choice, I suppose.

I have a feeling LotR and Runebound may be good, just need feedback on the complexity of the game. Oh, and how long they take to play too. Attika was a surprise; the reviews I've heard so far for 2 players have been mixed.

Any other non-RPG games? Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
redeemedegg wrote:
. . . Knizia's LotR (War of the Ring, is it?) . . .

Allow me to clarify, Knizia's LotR and War of the Ring are two very different games. Knizia's is a more euro style game with heavy co-op elements and a hobbit named Fatty. War of the Ring is a wargame style game with a ton of plastic minis.

I haven't played War of the Ring, but I'll second Knizia's LotR as a good game for just about anyone (especially if they're interested in the theme).

I'll also second San Juan in that my wife plays it 2-player and enjoys it well enough to play again when I ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
We've liked San Juan (played with 2 and 3), Ingenious (played with 2), and Wallenstein (played with 2 & 3...new edition available in U.S. is Shogun).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Goa? It's a bit involved, though, so I don't know if it would appeal to your girlfriend, based on what you've said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Batterton
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
SpiderCat. Direct from the 9th plane of Hell. Adoptions are held every 666 days .
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever tried Heroquest? Advanced Heroquest and Warhammer fantasy are some another’s. What I would call an "RPG light". ninja Both use minis, which will go along way for visual appeal and theme. Will scale up to 5 players. Lots of fun to be had using the existing scenarios.

On a different note- Minion Hunter can be a blast.goo Cooperative with 2 or more. Definitely an "us against the world" type of feel.

All of the above are OOP, but BBG or Ebay should be able to provide you with some choices.

Good luck!

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Fury of Dracula?
It works for 2 and scales up to 5 and its dripping with theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
As for something presently in print - from what I've heard, Drakon may suit your needs. But I haven't, personally, played it. Can Drakon fans pipe up as to its play with 2 and scaling up?

Drakon with 2 is playable, but it ends up being a race to who can play the right tiles.
Drakon with 6 can be chaotic, with more people being able to go after the leader, but is extrememly enjoyable with the right group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redeemedegg wrote:
San Juan, Runebound and Knizia's LotR (War of the Ring, is it?) seem like good bets. Just wanna ask how "complicated" are these games?

San Juan = Definitely good to think ahead, but you can't get locked into one master plan considering you don't know which cards you'll be drawing. I don't think there are a cumbersome number of decisions to make, but they are interesting. It's a relatively short game.

Runebound = No forward-planning at all, beyond wanting to improve your character and get better stuff. There are some decisions to make in combat, but it's not that much. My SO isn't too keen on having to read all of the cards though. This game can be quite a bit longer than others. To me, you have to sit down wanting to have hours of adventure as opposed to preparing to 'do battle' and find a winner. This game is about the journey, not the destination.

LoTR = Once you know what you're doing, there's PLENTY of forward planning as you try to have the right cards ready to go before you encounter the various obstacles. Decisions are fairly straightforward. Not a long game, especially if you don't go after the expansions. Once you've figured this game out, it loses a lot of appeal though. It's sort of like solving a puzzle. I'm sure the expansions help shake that up a bit. Being a co-operative game makes it female-friendly and that also means you don't really have to teach every single rule to her because you're on the same team and can explain a lot of things as you go.

War of the Ring = NOT the same thing as LoTR and NOT a good idea for a game to play with the SO.

redeemedegg wrote:
Attika was a surprise; the reviews I've heard so far for 2 players have been mixed.

I freely confess that Attika is an anomaly with my SO.

And to comment on the thoughts of others :

Goa?? I can hardly find gamers who would play this one, much less a SO. Seriously, there are maybe 4 people in my group who will play this game.

Fury of Dracula? Hmmm... I can't get the gamers to play that one any more, but it MIGHT work with an SO. The thing is, I imagine he'd have to play Dracula every time because she wouldn't want to be bothered with all of Drac's rules. I just don't know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheong
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiskNY wrote:
redeemedegg wrote:
. . . Knizia's LotR (War of the Ring, is it?) . . .

Allow me to clarify, Knizia's LotR and War of the Ring are two very different games. Knizia's is a more euro style game with heavy co-op elements and a hobbit named Fatty. War of the Ring is a wargame style game with a ton of plastic minis.

Haha yes I just realised! So the one I've seen being played is Knizia then. How is it played with 2? Each person takes 2 hobbits each?

Trump wrote:

To me, you have to sit down wanting to have hours of adventure as opposed to preparing to 'do battle' and find a winner. This game is about the journey, not the destination.

Hmm ok that's a thought, because I'm not sure what game I should get. A big game that we'll take out and play for a long time or a relatively shorter one like TtR. If it helps, she's not played a game exceeding an hour before so I'm not sure how that factors in. Having a 'winner' isn't so impt, but co-op games do tend to take some time, don't they?

For LotR, you mean the replayability isn't quite there? But in what sense? The game I was watching looked rather exciting with one experienced player and 3 new players. It looked a tad bit complex though, with shields and things I didn't quite understand then. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

If I end up going for the more bite-sized game instead, Attika sounds like a good choice. I guess I'll have to take the risk and give it a try. The alternative is Shear Panic, which my girlfriend saw people playing the last time we visited. She can't stop telling me how cute the sheep are... Haha.. Is it a good game to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually very much enjoy Descent with 2 players, it is deeper than it appears and has a lot of theme. Through the Desert is great too.

I'll support Drakon, San Juan, and Fury of Dracula for scalable games that have depth and theme.

I'll give a thumbs down to Runebound (dice-fest IMO), Goa(too dry for your request), Puerto Rico(not good with 2 IMO), and Heroscape (sorry, unless you are geeky this too often feels like playing with toys suited to 4th graders even though it is a reasonable game).

One game that doesn't scale but I have a feeling you might like due to your list is Blue Moon. Another one that I haven't played but, for some reason I thought of is Duel of Ages.

There is also Antiquity which, if you don't mind fiddling a lot of counters I've found to have an amazingly wide appeal to non-hardcore gamers considering it is very deep, has heavy theme, has simple rules, and can play in 2 hours.

Very tough challenge, that is for sure since heavy and light is tough enough without having to scale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batmatt72 wrote:
How about Fury of Dracula?
It works for 2 and scales up to 5 and its dripping with theme.

Seconded. The rules and number of pieces on the board are exactly the same for any number of players. So there are no scaling issues. In case you don't know the game: there is always one Dracula player and 4 hunter pieces, which are divided up among the remaining 1-4 players. The hunters cooperate to kill Dracula. The count wins if he stays alive (undead?) for a certain number of turns, if he spawns a lot of new vampires, or if he inflicts enough casualties on the players.

And the game is dripping with theme, and has a high replay value. I have played it 30+ times with my girlfriend, and we still come back to it from time to time. The only weak part is the die roll in combat, IMO, which makes it a little too luck dependent for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redeemedegg wrote:
If it helps, she's not played a game exceeding an hour before so I'm not sure how that factors in. Having a 'winner' isn't so impt, but co-op games do tend to take some time, don't they?

Runebound will definitely take more than an hour. The question is whether or she'll be absorbed enough in the game to not care.

redeemedegg wrote:
For LotR, you mean the replayability isn't quite there? But in what sense? The game I was watching looked rather exciting with one experienced player and 3 new players. It looked a tad bit complex though, with shields and things I didn't quite understand then. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Eh. It might come across as complex when you're teaching yourself, but once you have it straight in your head, you'll find it's pretty straightforward. The replayability issue I talk about... well let me see if I think of an example. Once you know how the game works, you'll realize you need 5 of the Friendship suit on one space and then 3 Shields on the next. So instead of reacting to the game, you'll start setting things up ahead of time so you'll always have what you need. Sure chance plays its part, but we just got to where we felt like it suddenly stopped being a game. It was fun for a while, and it might be a great way to get your girlfriend interested in other games, but I think that in the long term you might be putting this one on the shelf. Still, you should easily get your money's worth out of it by then. It's your call.

redeemedegg wrote:
If I end up going for the more bite-sized game instead, Attika sounds like a good choice. I guess I'll have to take the risk and give it a try. The alternative is Shear Panic, which my girlfriend saw people playing the last time we visited. She can't stop telling me how cute the sheep are... Haha.. Is it a good game to play?

Attika might be a better choice for a group game that you might play with just two later or you might not. Like I said, it's an anomaly at my house. Shear Panic is okay, but I think it's pricey for what you get. Still, it has visual appeal which can't hurt your chances. It's a puzzle sort of game. If I want that sheep to end up standing there, how do I have to move the flock? Does that sound up her alley?

diamondspider wrote:
I'll give a thumbs down to Runebound (dice-fest IMO), Goa(too dry for your request), Puerto Rico(not good with 2 IMO), and Heroscape (sorry, unless you are geeky this too often feels like playing with toys suited to 4th graders even though it is a reasonable game).

I agree with all of this. Runebound isn't a game for gamers. It's a game for ex-role-players. Gamers are going to constantly complain about the level of luck involved. I haven't heard a woman YET complain about luck in a game.

diamondspider wrote:
One game that doesn't scale but I have a feeling you might like due to your list is Blue Moon. Another one that I haven't played but, for some reason I thought of is Duel of Ages.

Blue Moon might work. The card game is for two. The board game is for more and I think it's a good light game she could like, but I don't think I'd play that game with two.

My wife can barely stand to be in the same room as my Duel of Ages game. She's never played it, and she's made it clear that never wants to. To be fair, I was a playtester (I'm in the credits!) and I probably talked about it too much around her. For that sort of game, I'd say there are better choices for her.

Niko Ruf wrote:
How about Fury of Dracula? I have played it 30+ times with my girlfriend, and we still come back to it from time to time. The only weak part is the die roll in combat, IMO, which makes it a little too luck dependent for my taste.

What did I tell you? Gamers just hate dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give my thumbs up to San Juan. Very nice game with 2-4 players. I find it to be more fun then Puerto Rico and also plays a lot faster. Once you get a good handle on the game you can have 2-3 games in about an hour or less.

You could also get Bohnanza it is better with at least 2 but can still be played with two. The game scales very well.

Citadels is a good choice but I would recommend these rules instead of the in box ones. My gf and I prefered the 2 player using this variant http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/112866

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.