James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I tried searching through the forums for the below but couldn't find anything useful and the onlineretailerdb doesn't have anything either.

I am trying to get a game for the Secret Santa to a fellow geek in the UK without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. Do you guys have any good recommendations of UK based online retailers or suggestions for shipping carriers with good track records between the USA and UK? Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction!

Merry Christmas,

Ghost

Edited the title to see if I could get some more responses. Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Need Help for UK Online Retailers/Delivery Methods
My solution to this problem would be for us UK people to let others know which FLGS we visit regularly (If we do so). Then the others would not need to pay for postage at all.

Maybe if we all put it temporarily on our My Geek Profile the sender could use the information and buy from the FLGS if it is cheaper. The retailer could then keep the game aside with the persons name on and give it to them when they next visit.

I am going to try to do that now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I was hoping to actually send the gift to their house as a, well, gift. I don't mind paying regular shipping, I was just trying to 1. see if there were any recommended online/FLGS UK retailers that had good reputations/Shipping and 2. Make sure the thing got there before Christmas for sentimental reasons.

Have you ever used any UK retailers (Cardhaus is one I think)? Thanks

Ghost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know Shire Games is online, as well as a store, but may not be the cheapest. I'm afraid I haven't bought online (Fairly new hobby and great shop down the road, I'm spoilt)

Hope you find the best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your best bet would be Infinity Games UK. Their prices are as high as all FLGS's but at least they ship for free within the UK. They also have very good customer feedbacks which you can check on their site.

www.iguk.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is:

USA
Game - $22 US
Shipping - $34 US
Total - $54 US or 27 pounds GB

UK retailers
Game - 32.49 pounds
Shipping - free
Total - $65 US or 32.50 pounds GB

I just had no idea how expensive board games were in the UK I guess. I am not complaining for myself, rather frustrated that so much money is eaten up in transit rather than buying them more games...

Such is life, I guess

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tell me about it!

ghost604 wrote:
Such is life, I guess

Yep! Such is life for UK gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was gonna say. With the massively powerful £-$ exchange rate at the moment, it's VERY difficult for Americans to deal with English prices.
It's around $2 per £1 right now and even a few years ago it was only $1.60 or so.

Get on to your government about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ach! Help me send more overseas for Christmas!!! (Retit
ghost604 wrote:
I just had no idea how expensive board games were in the UK I guess.

Expensive in the UK? ROFL. Try this side of the planet shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.