Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the final days of BGG Con 2006, my brother Jordan and I had the good fortune to play several different Battlelore adventures. We were very excited to see some of the new features that set this combat game apart from its predecessors. Now, I would like to share with you some of those reports.

I start with the first adventure to feature a creature, the mighty Giant Spider. The model for the Giant Spider is very neat, and would certainly intimidate me if I were 20mm high. I have the luck to be commanding the spider in this scenario, while Jordan had his delightful goblin hordes to try and stop me from decimating the land.

Well, like a flaming meteorite, my spider's time in the spotlight was brief but glorious. I early on in the battle, I sent the spider charging into the midst of Jordan's center line, where she promptly tore a unit of his goblins apart. Jordan, however, was undeterred. He attacked the arachnid repeatedly, and it only took two attacks before the critical hit was scored. The lesson I had learned was simple: Yes, your creature may look glorious, but exposing its flanks is no wiser than exposing the remainder of your armies' flanks. A rookie mistake, I concede.

Without the spider in play, the battle fell back into a grand melee between my human-dwarf coalition, and Jordan's goblins and humans.

A Fireball was flung from Jordan's side of the field. I answered with a Creeping Doom spell that, frankly, fizzled after the first unit it damaged. The goblin charge was used to great effect by Jordan on my left flank. I answered with an advance on the right. And when Jordan made a move to charge me there, I used a Slow spell to leave one of his units behind, and the other goblins were then unsupported and vulnerable. It was just the move my troops needed to make their final kill.

Ultimate score:
Jordan - 5
Josh - 6

Then we got to move on to mixed War Councils. My three word preview: I was impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.