Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The process for upgrading terrorist units seems incredibly convoluted in the wording and I want to make sure that we are playing it correctly.

One vanguard costs $10m but a column costs x5 vanguard units. Why does it say that rather than just saying a column costs $50m since you don't seem to be able to combine units in any way?

My question boils down to this: if I want to put a terrorist cell into action, what do I actually do? Do I simply pay out $100m and put out the cell or do I have to put down a vanguard first and then go through some cryptic sequence to "promote" it to cell status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take was that there's no limit in how many terrorists you can buy, so, you can build whatever you want to pay for. That means yes, you may go straight to a cell, if you can fund it.

Money makes it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that a Column would only cost 40M to replace a Vangard because you contribute 4 additional Vangards to the exisitng Vangard, which then total 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I still don't know why there was a need for two different methods of upgrading units (empire and terrorist) when they essentially boil down to the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Ankers
United Kingdom
Erith
Kent
flag msg tools
Terrorist cells can move around, unlike developments, therefore when a number of vanguards are moved into the same country they can be upgraded to the next type.

... at least thats what seems to be case from what I understand of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel and Dan have it. Terrorists can move and they "upgrade" differently to developments.

If you want to promote a village direct to a city, you have to pay the "invisible" cost of a town in between - so, you pay 50m + 100m = 150m for that particular upgrade.

We were worried that if we described terrorist columns as being "50m" and cells being "100m" that people would assume these costs are acculumative as they are for developments, when this isn't true.

So if you want to upgrade a terrorist vanguard into a cell, just give the bank 100m and replace the vanguard with a cell. Or pay the bank 90m but make sure you return the vanguard too at the same time.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
n_ankers wrote:
Terrorist cells can move around, unlike developments, therefore when a number of vanguards are moved into the same country they can be upgraded to the next type.

I thought that might possibly be the case but in looking at the game play examples, I never saw multiple terrorist units in the same country. What is the official word on this? Are multiple terrorist units allowed in a single country? If not, that would make for weird situations where you could only move 5 together to make a column but not have 4 sitting in a country *waiting* for that fifth guy to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
TerrorBull Games wrote:
Nigel and Dan have it. Terrorists can move and they "upgrade" differently to developments.

If you want to promote a village direct to a city, you have to pay the "invisible" cost of a town in between - so, you pay 50m + 100m = 150m for that particular upgrade.

We were worried that if we described terrorist columns as being "50m" and cells being "100m" that people would assume these costs are acculumative as they are for developments, when this isn't true.

So if you want to upgrade a terrorist vanguard into a cell, just give the bank 100m and replace the vanguard with a cell. Or pay the bank 90m but make sure you return the vanguard too at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Hmm.. I confess I am a little confused...

I kind of missed the cumulative cost of developments (although it was there in the rules) - but the reason I was thrown off the trail was because the rules said if you want to sell a development, you recoup its development cost. Th eexample was that if a town is removed you get 50m. Actually, by the cumulative logic, the cost of developing the town was 75m.

Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
markyt wrote:

I kind of missed the cumulative cost of developments (although it was there in the rules) - but the reason I was thrown off the trail was because the rules said if you want to sell a development, you recoup its development cost. Th eexample was that if a town is removed you get 50m. Actually, by the cumulative logic, the cost of developing the town was 75m.

Help!

Yes... you don't recoup the same value for selling off a town or city as you do for building it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The "development cost" of a Town is 50m.

But you can't build a town, without building first a village, so to get to a town, you've spent a total of 75m. But that doesn't alter the fact that a town is 'worth' 50m. That's why when you sell it, you only get 50m back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
n_ankers wrote:

I thought that might possibly be the case but in looking at the game play examples, I never saw multiple terrorist units in the same country. What is the official word on this? Are multiple terrorist units allowed in a single country? If not, that would make for weird situations where you could only move 5 together to make a column but not have 4 sitting in a country *waiting* for that fifth guy to show up.

In the terrorist section it says one terrorist unit per country. I guess that's after movement is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrorBull Games wrote:

Hope that helps.

Hold on, when you played 100m did the vanguard get taken to a terrorist training camp off the board? I get the 90m + 1 vanguard deal stated afterwards, but what happened to the initial vanguard in the first example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:
TerrorBull Games wrote:

Hope that helps.

Hold on, when you played 100m did the vanguard get taken to a terrorist training camp off the board? I get the 90m + 1 vanguard deal stated afterwards, but what happened to the initial vanguard in the first example?

Hey Anarch. Hers the deal...

Pretend a vanguard is in a country. You want to upgrade that vanguard. There are 2 possible outcomes depending on how much you are willing to spend.

-You pay 100 million to the bank, put the vanguard in your training camp and place the cell on the board.

-You pay the bank 90 million, and put the cell on the board where the vanguard used to be. BUT, you give the vanguard to the bank since you owe it 10m. You can't expect to pay 90m for a cell AND keep the vanguard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jstep wrote:

Hey Anarch. Hers the deal...

Pretend a vanguard is in a country. You want to upgrade that vanguard. There are 2 possible outcomes depending on how much you are willing to spend.

-You pay 100 million to the bank, put the vanguard in your training camp and place the cell on the board.

Wait.. I didn't think we were allowed to remove terrorist units back to the training camps. Once committed, that was it (or so I thought).

Is this the special case exemption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can't remove terrorist pieces from the board in normal circumstances, that is correct.

But if you wanted to uprade that vanguard to a cell, you can either pay 90 mil and use the vanguard on the board as a "discount" and have it count toward the upgrade, or pay the full 100 mil for the cell, and since there was already a vanguard on the board that equals 10 mil, you would then be adding 100 mil + 10, when 100 is the amount required. you would get the "change" back as a vanguard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right - don't think of it as removing the vanguard and placing it back in your camp. Think of it as buying a fresh vanguard from the bank with the 'change'.

Normally you can't pull terrorist units off the board and place them into your camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.