BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Silent Auction Fundraiser! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: scam [+] auction [+] [View All]
Just another Secret Santa
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Ok guys, here's what's going on. As some of you already know, my sister has a son that is 10 months old today. Her husband (Spc. Jimmy Garnder) was out of Ft. Campbell, just up the road from me, and in the 101st Airborne Div. He was stationed in Iraq when he was killed earlier this year. Since then, I've been helping to provide as much financial and emotional support as possible. As we all know, Christmas is coming up and it has really been a tough year for her with her loss and I wanted to try and do something special for her. So last night was my groups game night and we decided to get together and donate a few games for a kind of mini silent auction here on BGG. We decided that all proceeds will go to start a college fund for my little nephew. So before I post the rules and games, I'd like to thank a few of my gaming buddies who made donations of games and game sets for this cause: David, Jerry, Bob, Brian, and Joey. You guys are the best and your generosity is so very much appreciated.

***NOTE***: We wish to keep this a complete surprise for my sister so all we ask is that we keep this within the BGG community. She does not visit nor is she aware of this website, so the worst thing that could happen is for someone, with the best of intentions, to leak this post somewhere else and her find it either by chance or mistake. Let's please keep this auction in the BGG family! Thank you in advance for respecting our wishes in helping to keep this a surprise.

Rules:
1) This will run from now until 11:59p CST on Dec. 15th. That way, you will have plenty of time to get your game before Christmas and we will have plenty of time to open a college fund with the money and give that to my sister as part of her Christmas.
2) The highest offer will be accepted regardless of what it is.
3) Some of these games are in sets, please do not ask me to split up a set. We wish to keep them together.
4) I will accept donations and payment for these games via paypal, money order, or cashiers check.
5) Please keep the offers rounded to the nearest $. No pennies or cents please. Just makes it easier that way.
6) As part of my donation to help my sister if any money is sent via paypal, I will pay the charges that paypal puts on the money transfer so that what you actually bid will be the exact amount of money that goes to her.
7) Finally, as another favor to try and get more money for my sister and nephew, I will pay any and all shipping cost (w/i the U.S.) out of my pocket also. That means what you bid is actually what you'll pay....no extra shipping costs. That also allows you to feel fine with bidding extra since you won't incur any shipping costs for your game. Edit: International shipping: Thanks to the suggestion of a fellow "Geek" here on the website. I will only charge USPS surface rates, which is as cheap for international postage as it gets. To keep with the spirit of the deals on shipping I will also pay 10% of the int'l shipping cost and what is left will be your final charge for int'l shipping of a winning item.
8) You can send me your offers [contact info deleted by admin]
I will then update on this thread everyday with what the current offer is on each game or game set but the identity of the high bidder/winner will remain private unless he/she wishes to make it known.

Now the moment you've been waiting for! Here's what we have up for bid:

1. DIXIE CARD SET High Bid: ?? $50 $75 $100 $120
a. Dixie: Bull Run-Complete set of all 200 cards. SW removed
never played with or shuffled. MINT, Like NEW Condition!
b. Dixie: Shiloh-Complete set of all 400 cards. SW removed
never played with or shuffled. MINT, Like NEW Condition!
c. Dixie: Gettysburg-Complete set of all 250 cards.
SW removed, never played with or shuffled. MINT, Like
NEW Condition!
d. Dixie Dice-The official dice for the Dixie game. Confederate gray set and Union blue set. Never rolled. MINT!

2. The Burning Blue-MINT CONDITION! Still in its original Shrink Wrap!!! Brand New and Unpunched! High Bid: ?? $20 $35 $50 $60

3. The SETTLERS OF CATAN SET High Bid: ?? $70 $120
a. Settlers of Catan-SW removed and punched but never played. Game is 100% complete and is in MINT, LIKE NEW Condition!
b. The Settlers of Catan 5-6 Player Expansion-SW removed and punched but never played. Game is 100% complete and is in MINT, LIKE NEW Condition!
c. The Seafarers of Catan-Unpunched and Never played. SW removed but is in perfect MINT Condition!
d. The Seafarers of Catan 5-6 Player Expansion-Brand new copy. Still in original Shrink Wrap. Never used!
e. The Cities and Knights of Catan-Unpunched and Never played. SW removed but is in perfect MINT Condition!
f. The Cities and Knights of Catan 5-6 Player Expansion-Brand new copy. Still in original Shrink Wrap. Never used!

4. MEMOIR '44 SET High Bid: ?? $40 $80 $100 $120 $150
a. Memoir '44 base game-Perfect, Like NEW punched copy. SW removed but game has never been played! 100% complete and MINT!
b. Memoir '44 Terrain Expansion-SW removed but Perfect copy. Unpunched and never played! 100% complete and MINT!
c. Memoir '44 Eastern Front Expansion-SW removed but Perfect copy. Unpunched and never played! 100% complete and MINT!
d. Memoir '44 Pacific Expansion-SW removed but Perfect copy. Unpunched and never played! 100% complete and MINT!
e. Memoir '44 Winter/Desert Board-SW removed but never played with! Board is in perfect, MINT, unplayed condition!

5. El Grande Decennial Version-MINT CONDITION! Still in its original Shrink Wrap!!! Brand New and Unpunched! High Bid: ?? $30 $35 $40 $50

6. Nexus Ops-MINT CONDITION! Still in its original Shrink Wrap!!! Brand New and Unpunched! High Bid: ?? $20 $25 $40

7. ATTACK! SET High Bid: ?? $20 $35 $45 $55
a. Attack! Base Game-SW removed and punched. Game has never been played tho! Perfect condition and MINT copy!
b. Attack! Expansion-SW removed and punched. Game has never been played tho! Perfect condition and MINT copy!

8. Axis & Allies-This is the older MB version of the game from the Gamemaster series. This is a nice overall version of the game. It has been played but all contents and board have been very well cared for over the years. All are in very nice condition. The box as some shelfwear (which would be expected for a 15 year old game), however, the box is structually sound and is in overall nice condition (no rips or tears). High Bid: ?? $20 $10 $20 $25

9. Apples to Apples Party Crate Edition-Still in original SW condtion! This copy has never been opened and is in perfect MINT condition! Personal note: I've played another copy before and I really enjoyed it. Its an easy to learn party game! Lots of fun! High Bid: ?? $15 $25 $30

10. Wit's End-This is another party game. Its been played a few times but upon inspection of its box and contents, you really cannot tell. It looks to be in Mint condition and has been very well cared for! High Bid: ?? $5 $10

Whew, that took awhile. Final thoughts: Please remember that all donations are going to a very noble cause for a family that's been through so much this year. It's also an opportunity for you to get some great copies of games either for yourself or for Christmas gifts. Please feel free to email me with any questions and/or requests. I will do everything possible to accomadate you. Thanks in advance for your participation!

***MORE GAMES***
I've had several members ask to donate games and this section will be dedicated to that. The members in this section have sent me emails detailing the game they would like to donate. I would like to thank the BGG Members for their generous donations and they should all be praised for their kindness!

1) Janna Nelson (lawmama), has asked to donate two separate games! They are:
1. Mammoth Hunters-This is the newer Ravensburger edition, NOT the Alea one. This copy is in great condition. It is punched and has only been played once. High Bid: ?? $20
And also:
2. Submarine-This is Leo Colovini game from Rio Grande Games. This game is opened and in excellent shape! It appears to have had very little play if any at all. High Bid: ?? $20 $30
Special Note: Janna has also offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i North America) for the winner of either of these two items! Thanks so very much, Janna!

2) An Anonymous and generous "Geek" has also asked if he could donate:
Elfengold-This is the expansion for Elfenland. The contents are in great shape. The expansion is missing the box, however, from what I understand, the expansion is typically stored in the Elfenland box anyway. Special Note: There will be no charge for any shipping costs (Domestic or Int'l) for the winner of this item! So feel free to bid away!!! High Bid: ?? $40 $60

3) Chris Okasaki (cokasaki), has asked to donate:
"Big Box O' Games starting with C" Set High Bid: ?? $40 $45 $55
a. Carcassonne-Game is in excellent condition. Lightly played and well cared for!
b. Carcassonne Inns & Cathedrals-This game is still in Shrink Wrap and in perfect Mint condition!
c. Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers-Game is in excellent condition. Played a few times but has been well cared for!
d. Coloretto-Game is in great condition. Only played a few times but played with care!
e. Coda-Game is in excellent condition. Lightly played and well cared for!
f. Cargo-Game is in excellent condition and has been well cared for!
Special Note: Chris has also offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i the U.S.) for the winner of this set! Thank you for your generous donation, Chris!

4) JP LaChance (custom golf clubs), has asked to donate:
Wits and Wagers-This game is brand new and sealed! It is in its original Shrink Wrap! Mint condition! Special Note: JP has offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i the U.S.) for the winner of this item! He also has offered to pay the first $10 of int'l shipping if someone from outside the U.S. wins the item! Thank you for your support, JP! High Bid: ?? $20 $22 $30 $40 $45

5) David Chu (davidchujr), has asked to donate:
Trivia Set High Bid: ?? $60 $75
a. Scene it!-The DVD movie game by Screenlife (Original Release in the Black Box) and
b. Trivial Pursuit - DVD The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Edition-Both games are new and sealed! Still in their original Shrink Wrap! The box and shrink does shows some minor shelf wear. Special Note: David has offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i the U.S.) for the winner of this item! He has also offered to pay for 10% of int'l shipping if someone from outside the U.S. wins this set! Thank you for your kindness, David!

6) Warrant Adan (River Otter), has made some donations. They are as follows:
1. WWII BARBAROSSA TO BERLIN -Unpunched w/a bonus large map. High Bid: ?? $25
2. Bitter Woods-Deluxe Edition. Unpunched w/expansion. High Bid: ?? $10 $30 $75
3. TOTALER KRIEG-Unpunched w/some shelf wear. High Bid: ?? $25 $30
4. STRUGGLE FOR EUROPE BUNDLE Set High Bid: ?? $30 $50
a. WAR WITHOUT MERCY-Unpunched
b. BRUTE FORCE-Unpunched
c. The Mediterranean: Desert War 1940-1945-Unpunched
Special Note: River Otter has offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i the U.S.) for the winner of any of these items. He has also offered to pay for the first $10 of int'l shipping if someone from outside the U.S. wins one of these items. Thank you so much for your very generous donation here!

7) Evan Schrier (Evan the Terrible), is a brand new member. He has just registered today! Let's all welcome him to BGG.com! He is definatly making an immediate splash in our community also because he has just asked to donate two games:
1. Diplomacy-Avalon Hill version. SW removed but it is unpunched and in MINT condition! High Bid: ?? $10 $20 $50
and also:
2. The Cities and Knights of Catan-SW removed but it is unpunched and in MINT condition! High Bid: ?? $10 $15
Special Note: Evan has offered to pick up the shipping costs (w/i the U.S.) for the winner of either of his items. Let's all applaud him as we welcome him into our tight-knit community! Thank you so very much for your generosity!

8) Geoff Bohrer (gbohrer), has asked to donate:
ACTION FRONT! WATCHTOWER-To be released January 15. Winner will receive copy #1/50 of the Limited (signed) Edition of ACTION FRONT: Watchtower, shipped prior to the official release. Special Note:Geoff has offered to pay for priority mail postage w/i the U.S. and Global Priority elsewhere! Thanks so much, Geoff! High Bid: ?? $6 $20

9) Freakin' Ed (Rozik) has asked to donate:
Hive-This is the version with the wooden blocks and decals. It has not been opened since last year at this time and has never been played. I know some people had problems with the decals curling up from the wooden blocks; but this copy was not doing this. The blocks and decals are in great shape! Special Note:Ed has also offered to pay for postage worldwide! Thank you, Ed for your donation! High Bid: ?? $10 $20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Silent auction fundraiser!
Great idea. As I am not seeking any of the listed games, could I instead donate a game (incl. shipping from me) to the auction?

If others go to the effort of setting up something to help other friends of BGGers in need, I'll try to support those auctions too.

Maybe next year we could have something like this as an option on the Secret Santa screen (not for this person, but something more charitable that improves lives through boardgames - directly or indirectly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for your offer. I wouldn't directly ask others to donate but if others wish to do so, I would be appreciative of their generosity. If you have a game you'd like to put up, I'll be more than happy to post it above on the list of games. If you would, just send me an email as to what your donating and the basic info, and I'll post it right away. Thank you so much for your willingness to help out. I'm game for anything we can do to help make this Christmas easier on her.

Also, I'm all for your idea about setting up something for others here on BGG next year. I'm with you on the idea of using our hobby to do good for others. I mean, isn't that what the Season is all about? Thanks again for your generous reply here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go for Nexus Ops at $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
kingmaker fan wrote:
I'll go for Nexus Ops at $20.

Updated. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start these out:

Memior 44 Set: $40

Burning Blue: $20

Now let's get some action going here, folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir Set $80

Dixie Set $50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it this is for US residents only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
Memoir Set $80

Dixie Set $50

Oh, I thought this was silent...

I just sent a note to Robert with the following bids:

$100 M44 set
$30 El Grande

EDIT: Oh, and I hope I get overbid - by a lot. If I could afford to do so, I'd offer to buy all the game for something like $1000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mjwills wrote:

Oh, sorry. I didn't think about international. I'm afraid I was thinking about the costs incured for domestic shipping. I'm not sure how I could do this for int'l shipping....maybe a discount on shipping costs? If anyone has any suggestions, would you mind emailing me with them? I'll get back to you on that, Matthew. That is a valid concern and I apologize for not having that answer yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
First off, to the latest bids, thanks for encouraging others to get involved. I didn't expect so much response in such a short period of time....its quite overwhelming!

lightnng wrote:
DocStryder wrote:
Memoir Set $80

Dixie Set $50

Oh, I thought this was silent...

I just sent a note to Robert with the following bids:

$100 M44 set
$30 El Grande

EDIT: Oh, and I hope I get overbid - by a lot. If I could afford to do so, I'd offer to buy all the game for something like $1000.

I did say silent auction, but it doesn't matter to me how people let me know. They can either post it here, send me a private message, or email me directly. It is totally up to the person. So there is no wrong answer here. I did get your PM just a second ago and that would have been just as good there as if you didn't post this here...however, I do appreciate your kind message also.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!: I have just been made aware by Octavian (who, by the way, was very kind to me about it) that to keep this thread going, I would need to agree that once a winner was established, I would have to go through the BGG marketplace to complete the transaction w/ each winner. I, of course, complied with his wish. I just want to make everyone aware that the BGG Marketplace would be the medium we use to complete the transaction w/each winner once this ends. Thanks guys!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Stud121501 wrote:
I did say silent auction, but it doesn't matter to me how people let me know. They can either post it here, send me a private message, or email me directly. It is totally up to the person. So there is no wrong answer here. I did get your PM just a second ago and that would have been just as good there as if you didn't post this here...however, I do appreciate your kind message also.

Cool. Come on, everyone, let's get some action going here!

Quote:
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!: I have just been made aware by Octavian (who, by the way, was very kind to me about it) that to keep this thread going, I would need to agree that once a winner was established, I would have to go through the BGG marketplace to complete the transaction w/ each winner. I, of course, complied with his wish. I just want to make everyone aware that the BGG Marketplace would be the medium we use to complete the transaction w/each winner once this ends. Thanks guys!!!

I have to say that I hope that Octavian decides to, err, donate the BGGM transaction fees for this auction, considering the cause. Please, if you would be so kind, could you let me know (even privately) if indeed this is the case? I may find it just a tad more difficult to support BGG next year if I see that the owners insist on getting their cut* from a charity auction.

*EDIT: maybe I was a bit too harsh; sorry about that. A better phrasing may be "I hope that BGG owners eventually find it in their hearts to refund the commission to Robert considering the nature of this auction". Done privately and behind the scenes as a one-off act of generosity would, I believe, alleviate any issues with compromise of BGG policies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Stud121501 wrote:
mjwills wrote:

Oh, sorry. I didn't think about international. I'm afraid I was thinking about the costs incured for domestic shipping. I'm not sure how I could do this for int'l shipping....maybe a discount on shipping costs? If anyone has any suggestions, would you mind emailing me with them? I'll get back to you on that, Matthew. That is a valid concern and I apologize for not having that answer yet.

I have found, w/the help from someone else, what I believe to be a good compromise with international shipping costs to winners. Please see the edit in the original post detailing this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I will cover international shipping for the buyer of Elfengold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks for the offer....I'll change the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir Set $120

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thank you for your bid. I also sent you a message. Best wishes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,
Kudos for what you are doing for your sister and nephew and we wish them well.

I'll go ahead and place the following bid :
$35 on the Attack! set

I'll also like to donate the following games for your auction, as well as pay the shipping via USPS for any winners in the US (as for international shipping, I’ll just follow your rules and forward you the weight to calculate the shipping fee. I’ll pay 10% of that, so international bidders would only have to pay the reminding 90%).

Package for a single winner – both are new and in sealed box (box and shrink does shows some shelf wear).
Trivial Pursuit - Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Edition
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7336

Trivial Pursuit - DVD The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Edition
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15548

Good luck on your auction,
-David
www.davidchujr.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
David, thank you so much for your kind words, participation, and donation. I sent you a more detailed message to your account. Let me know if you need anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janeen Lea
United States
Kissimmee
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to bid on the big box of C games for $50. Also, I'd like to donate the game Drive by Simply FUN......it's new in SW.

Thanks,
Janeen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks so much, Janeen! I have updated the bid on the item. I also sent you an email regarding your donation and I'll be sure to add it as soon as I hear back from you. Thanks for everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For those who don't know, Drive is a remake of Crazy Chicken, a really cool game that plays two as well as three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent plan, I hope you do well with the auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,
Since my donation does not seems to be moving, I am going to switch one item out so that its not soo LotR heavy and maybe get some bids, if It does not sell, I'll forward the shipping fee I would have paid as a donation for your sister.
Please replace
Trivial Pursuit - Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Edition (item a)
for
Scene it! The DVD movie game by Screenlife (Original Release in the Black Box) new in sealed box
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4864

-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thank you, David. I updated the auction. Let me know if its not to your liking and I'll adjust it however you wish.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.