Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

in the new book Richard proposes to simulate Greek mercenaries using greek blocks laying down, to differentiate them from the Greek infantry. I didnt't like either of the possibilities, persian stickers or blue blocks laying down...

So I checked among the spare material and found that (at least in my copy) I could do 2 extra MI and HI with tan blocks and greek stickers. That's how they look like:

You just add the new "greco-persian" block to the unit and remove the three greek blocks before the unit is completely eliminated. Now I like them!

Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thought-- there were enough extra stickers in the core game to make some additional units-- and I mean full # of block units-- and I made a couple extras. I looked to do the same here-- and "greek mercenaries" were the top of my list, but I noticed that there were not enough stickers here (to make full 4 block units). You've pulled a good solution-- thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:

You just add the new "greco-persian" block to the unit and remove the three greek blocks before the unit is completely eliminated. Now I like them!
Miguel

Again, a fan after my own heart. I already did this same thing myself!

haha!

be well!

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working with photoshop to create some labels I found useful to be used with some of the spare blocks:

The Persian camels are for the Thermopylae scenario by Don Clarke (note that they face to the left, as Persian units do!), the HI hoplites for Greek armies without phalangites, and the alternate MI for mercenaries in Persian armies or for the use of Roman blocks in Greek vs Greek battles (specially I don't like Persian blocks for Spartan armies...).

The leader markers have been done from the banner graphics, I wanted to recreate leader graphics to help distinguishing them along the battle, but a small label on top of the leader block seemed to be the easiest way to do it. I submitted the file with the labels, to be printed in label paper (and coated if you want, I used a transparent adhesive sheet), but it is taking some time to be accepted...

Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks awesome Miguel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file with my custom labels has been posted:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/22368/CCA-labels.pdf

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franchi,

I love what you're doing. Now some further challenges.

I also dread the idea of using "eastern" troop/art and calling them Spartans (or any other Greek state).

But when we use the tan blocks to be Spartans, your art takes care of only the Medium and Heavy infantry.

I realize Greek armies pre Phillip/Alex did not use a lot of cavalry, but what about the light troops?

And what about tan block "Spartan" leaders? We can't have this good tan Greek infantry lead by Caliphs, can we?

Of course, talk like this goes beyond what a person could do with just the extra blocks that come with Exp 1 (and even granting you're using extras from the base game).

But I'm in the "lay blocks flat" school of play, because I seldom have good enough lighting to see the art well while the blocks are standing. I go ahead and sticker both sides, to make it easier to find and use the blocks. But with your efforts, we could consider a significant portion of the Eastern army to get Greek art on one side and Eastern on the other side... giving us the potential of two completely different armies with one set of blocks.

Well, is that challenging enough?

thanks for all you do

kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Well, is that challenging enough?

thanks for all you do

kevin

You're welcome! And yes, it is challenging enough... though not something I'll do in the near future, I'm leaving on holidays in a few hours ( ) and will be quite busy till the end september.

I would say that the easiest way would be to scan the label sheets before you take the labels out (something I forgot to do with the Expansion!!! angry ), print them on label paper, and stick the "official" Greek art on the other side of the tan blocks. Or wait till GMT will sell the tan blocks and the Exp. sheets separately, like they do now with the base game.

Anyway, in the meantime I've had enough with my MI greeks on the spare Roman blocks to make the "Roman" army look more "Spartan" in my Peloponnesian War scenarios... But sure, two complete Greek armies is the final objective!!!

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hesitating between my Conquest minis home-made leaders and the wooden ones...
and I couldn't choose either of them, so I've created an "hybrid": half wooden, half miniature!

The base is a wooden 10mm block, the mini is a greek from the game Hellas, painted in black with a silver or silver/golden dry brush. BTW, the Hellas greeks can be bought directly (without the game) here:

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english/d_P0015e_Set_Hellas2301....

Another thing I didn't like was the special unit black block always beside the unit, so I took some black plastic muggles and gave them a silver/golden brush, they look like a shield you can put on top of the unit (see the greek units on the picture). I had already replaced the banner blocks by glass stones, so now I have many black blocks I can use to make a small alternate army!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.