Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first four games of Mr. Jack in one session, resulting in four wins for the detective. This has me worried about future plays, and I'm wondering what others' experiences are with this game and Jack -vs- Detective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found it takes time to learn to play Jack well, but eventually it evens out. Until then, play two games, switching roles, and see who can last the longest as Jack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jack is slightly disadvantaged AND is harder to play well.
Take it as a challenge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that there's hope for Jack with more experience. I really like this game, but it could wear thin if one side ALWAYS won. My wife played Jack into the penultimate round, but I eventually got to him.

Another question: what other games are there like this, meaning a cat and mouse game where both players can affect the whole board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is a standard one for all disymetrics games...
I red a lot of topics concerning "lord of the ring - confrontation", some peaple saying that it's impossible to win with the hobbits, and other ones saying the opposite !

Concrning Mr. Jack... i really think that it's balanced... i can't say it's really 50-50 but the best example i have can be found on french forum "trictrac" http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30272

some players have summarized the results of all their games.
After the last update, resulats are:

The inspector wins: 65 games (54,6%)
Jack wins: 54 games (45,4%)
>> 11 time winning after a false accusation
>> 33 winning escaping whitechapel's district
>> 8 times winning at end of 8th turn just because inspector can't catch him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was convinced that it was balanced after reading the rules, and was very surprised that we had 4 in a row from the detective. We just played a 5th game, and I finally won with Jack. Great game--definitely my best purchase in awhile.

Edit: for your records, I technically won by false accusation, but it was in the 8th round and was a 50/50 proposition. I would have won if there had been no accusation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
In my opinion (and experience), once both players know what they're doing, either Scotland Yard wins (rare) or Jack may win because at the last turn he is indetermined between two characters and Scotland Yard guesses randomly (common). That's why Jack has (in total) little less than 50% chance to win.
I can see no way Jack is able to win by fleeing if Scotland Yard knows what she's doing.
Of course, while you're still learning the game, all sort of errors (let's call them "not optimal plays") are possible and likely to occur, leading to any result (and a single big error from Jack usually means he's doomed: that's why I think it's harder to learn how to play him well).
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
I can see no way Jack is able to win by fleeing if Scotland Yard knows what she's doing.

Interesting! The above data had Jack escaping in two-thirds of his wins!

Perhaps I am just too new, but I think just as the detective can usually force it to at least a 50-50 shot by game end if he needs it, Jack typically also has an opportunity during game to force a 50-50 "bluff or not bluff" to determine the winner during the early to mid-game, if he feels he needs it.

But, I'll defer to the more experienced....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Luke

I can't completly agree with you...
I played more than 200 times.. most of them playing Jack
I agree that there is a slight avantage for the investigator.
But be sure that Jack can escape the board even if the investigator is an experimented player.
But for that, it's true that you need:
- first to stay in the light the longer you can
- then, on 3, 5 or 7th turn, you need luck... that means that "Jack" is not one of the 4 characters to be played... that means that you will play first on the next turn...
- at this time, you need to manage to place jack in the shadow, close to an exit (or a sewer entrance going to a free exit)...

Yes. it's difficult. You need favorable conditions, but it's really possible. And even against experimented players, i win this way playing Jack, i would say 1 time on 3 or 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.