Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I was messing around with the impossible capture situation and possibly figured out a way to make a tower without faulting. This is how I did it.

Place white as a base and lean a disk against it. Then place a black disk so it touches the white base. It's the most basic impossible capture scenerio. White can't form a tower without faulting from the leaner falling. Or can he?

Slide the black disk around the white base so it's opposite the leaner. Now carefully start flipping the black disk up, without losing contact with the white base. When the leaner starts tilting away, slightly move the base and disk you're flipping up, away from the leaner. Slowly finish flipping the disk onto the white base and you did it!

White forms a tower without his leaner falling, while the two disk forming the tower never leave contact with each other. So, would you allow this if someone did it during a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't black playing such that their disk touches the white base be considered a fault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe's correct. If, on your turn, two pieces touch on the table that weren't previously touching -- and that should include the one you're placing -- then you've just caused a fault.

(Though pieces that touch while you're still holding them are merely returned to your hand.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was just presenting how to set up the problem, not saying how it would occur. Assume in a game, someone else has falted by touching your disc, but you disc is holding up a leaner. what do you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, you're right.

I'm still uncertain about the solution, however. I know the original rules didn't allow you to manipulate the other player's pieces when trying to convert. However, I think the latest rules edition dropped that restriction.

But it still seems wrong (to me) for white to attempt a conversion by handling black's disk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
But it's not black's disk. The situation I described is from black faulting on his turn. It's white's responsibilty to form a tower with those two disks. Yet, with the leaner, as soon as white moves the disk, he creates a fault of his own.

However, like I described, it is possible for white to make his tower without knocking down his leaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that you had to remove the discs from the play area before replacing them as a tower. Am I incorrect?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatWolf wrote:
I thought that you had to remove the discs from the play area before replacing them as a tower. Am I incorrect?

At first I was just going to say, no, you're wrong. But the more I think about it, the less certain I become. And I don't personally own the game myself, so I can't just grab the rulebook. Hmm. I still think you're probably wrong, but I would like to see the exact wording for tower conversion. I mean, you certainly may form your tower, pick it up, and move to any other position on the table. But do you have to...?

pothocket wrote:
But it's not black's disk. The situation I described is from black faulting on his turn. It's white's responsibilty to form a tower with those two disks. Yet, with the leaner, as soon as white moves the disk, he creates a fault of his own.

But you describe White sliding the black disk around and flipping it up onto the white disk, right? Isn't that what this says:
pothocket wrote:
Slide the black disk around the white base so it's opposite the leaner. Now carefully start flipping the black disk up...
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Far from an official ruling ...

We play that any leaner on a faulted magnet is involved in the fault. It's come up a number of times in a few different scenarios. In the one you describe, the next player would sweep up all three magnets (hopefully without disturbing any others) and set up a tower of three for their turn.

Maybe it's a "house rule" - but the rules say that you pick up all magnets involved in the fault (or something like that), but what is considered involved is not so well defined. We defined it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.