Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played Liberte once in a 5 player game and absolutely LOVED it. So much so that I managed to find and buy it (I believe it is out-of-print at the moment).
Anyway, I am having trouble finding other people to play with. I was considering playing with just my wife and I. Is there some mechanic that might make the game playable with 2 players? I'm not an expert with the game but I was thinking along the lines of an imaginary 3rd player like in Louis XIV, perhaps drawing some cards and placing the corresponding faction markers in that province?
I'm not sure if any such technique would work but I am really desperate to play the game. cry

Edit: I did notice the post where someone mentioned about playing as 2 players each but I agree with that poster that the game is pretty intense. I would much rather figure out some way to play it as one player each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never tried this, but I think maybe it will work.

Before each of your turns, draw a card and play it as a "neutral" player. Each player would play 2 colors, one as their color, and one as a (publically known) neutral color. The neutral colors don't score themselves, but do prevent your opponent from scoring.

I believe there is something similar to this in Mykerinos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you would have to do something as Mr. Satanic suggests to make the game work, because otherwise there would not be enough competition on the board. I might even go so far as to remove a region or two from the board to further tighten the thumbscrews, and further, restrict each area to only 2 stacks of blocks instead of 3.

One of the primary problems with the scaling of Liberte below 4 is that 3 stack restriction. In a bigger game, it comes into play constantly, the fight to even get a foot into Paris can be very nasty. With a smaller scale game, especially with 2 players, it seems as though one would want to contrive a way to make that fight present again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.