Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberta Buckberg
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, so I am a SUCKER for quick abstract games...I just started collecting games about a year ago and my "gaming group" is my family - husband, daughter 10 and son 8. I bought this online because it looked fun and quick.

Components:
An easily assembled vertical board that goes together well, but does not come apart comfortably...when I tried to disassemble it, I gave up quickly for fear of breaking it. This would not be important, except that the assembled board does not fit back in the box presenting some storage annoyance.

The scoring pegs are very difficult to move at first, but loosen up with use.

Other than these minor quibbles, nice and sturdy, will hold up to many playings. Pieces are sturdy and thick and easily handled and slide into the board well.

Gameplay:
Each player drops a piece into the grid on their turn and scores one point for every one of their opponents pieces that their piece touches. You lose a point for any hole you create in the pattern (no matter what size - just one point is lost). So it is possible to earn points, lose points, do both or neither on a turn. Players may not pass a turn and must play a piece if they can. The game ends when neither player can place a piece any longer. Players earn a 2 point bonus if they can place all of their pieces.

After one play, I had a hard time convincing my daughter to play again...she thought it was boring even though it took less than five minutes to play. I finally got her to play a second game the next day, and both of us concluded that it may "grow on us" in the future, but did not provide alot of draw for us currently. Then we discovered that we were reading the (very simple) rules wrong! We had been playing that you lost a point if you closed off a hole...it should be that you lose a point for creating the necessary outcome of a hole! This turned the game around and it is now lots of fun for us! Much more strategy and planning required!

Conclusions:
Kind of expensive for a 5 nminute game, but a very nice option for someone who kind of enjoys Connect 4 and Batik with their kids, but would like to have a little more challenge. A good quick game to play with kids that does require some thought and planning. I have been able to see my daughter grow in planning and strategy in this one to the point where she blocked me out of earning a two point bonus in our last game by careful placement! Go EMILY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Then we discovered that we were reading the (very simple) rules wrong! We had been playing that you lost a point if you closed off a hole...it should be that you lose a point for creating the necessary outcome of a hole!

I don't think I follow. What do you mean by "necessary outcome"? Do you mean that if your opponent has no piece that can fill a hole, that you lose a point? For example, if I leave a hole 3 squares deep and they have nothing that can fill more than two, I lose a point? That sounds a bit odd and tricky to spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very simple rule is 'are there empty spaces immediately under your piece'? (If there are two groups of them, that's two holes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.