Subject: ties? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Deller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently had a game with 3 novice adults and 1 child that ended in a 3-way tie when no one could place any more tiles (fyi, it was not the child but an adult who was trailing). Everyone ran out of opportunites at the same time. We adults were wondering whether this is a common result. Do ties due to lack of plays happen often, or does more skillful play reduce that probability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even if all players run out of plays at the same time, the game need not be a tie. You get points charged to you depending on how large the pieces you have unplayed are. It is only a tie if the players not only finish at the same time but have all placed pieces of the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Deller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dave. All three leaders did indeed have the same number of blocks unplayed. That's why we were wondering whether this was a fluke or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 leaders had the same number of pieces AND the same number of squares left? I'd say that is a huge fluke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ties are not broken by who finished last. The winner is whomever has the fewest squares-worth of pieces left, regardless of when they finished.

I've always played that the tiebreaker is the size of the last piece played by each player - smallest piece wins (extrapolated from the point bonus in the "official scoring" rules that no one ever uses).

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Deller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
(extrapolated from the point bonus in the "official scoring" rules that no one ever uses).

Speaking of scoring...

Why are the scoring rules set up the way they are? Why have all that negative point scoring if someone has played all their tiles and obviously won? I understand the purpose of the "single-square piece tiebreaker, but the rest of the scoring seemed pretty pointless. What is the commonly-used scoring convention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Diniz
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Chlorophylle, by Raymond Macherot
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules don't specify unties, my group won't consider them. As a result, there is a non-neglecting number of games (somewhere between 5 and 10%) that don't have a winer.
Also, it is rare to end up with same number of squares AND the same number of pieces in the fight for the first place, but it happens from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why are the scoring rules set up the way they are? Why have all that negative point scoring if someone has played all their tiles and obviously won? I understand the purpose of the "single-square piece tiebreaker, but the rest of the scoring seemed pretty pointless. What is the commonly-used scoring convention?

Presumably for scoring played over multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.