Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 1830 a bunch and just tried my recently acquired Mayfair 1870, a few questions came up-

1) It looks like there is 1 square chit per company to mark par value, and round ones for your rail heads including your free one and your destination (e.g. the company "St.Louis something" which starts in memphis has 4 round and 1 square). But I see no markers for the stock market price. I don't seem to have them for any company so I doubt I lost them. Am I misuing the markers some how?

2) I assume you may lay track on the start position of an unstarted public company. I expect you are not allowed to use up all the railhead spots on the hex such that the company could not place its own, correct? I cannot find anything in the rules which says so.

3) How are ties broken in stock value? The rules state the top one in a stack is ahead, but I can find nothing to say whether rightmost or upper is preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also-

4) I assume unlike 1830, your stock moves left even if you have no valid runs when you fail to pay dividends, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've played 1830 a bunch and just tried my recently acquired Mayfair 1870, a few questions came up-

1) It looks like there is 1 square chit per company to mark par value, and round ones for your rail heads including your free one and your destination (e.g. the company "St.Louis something" which starts in memphis has 4 round and 1 square). But I see no markers for the stock market price. I don't seem to have them for any company so I doubt I lost them. Am I misuing the markers some how?

2) I assume you may lay track on the start position of an unstarted public company. I expect you are not allowed to use up all the railhead spots on the hex such that the company could not place its own, correct? I cannot find anything in the rules which says so.

3) How are ties broken in stock value? The rules state the top one in a stack is ahead, but I can find nothing to say whether rightmost or upper is preferred.

4) I assume unlike 1830, your stock moves left even if you have no valid runs when you fail to pay dividends, correct?

1) Sounds like you've got the right number of tokens, but the charters can be confusing. If there is not a company herald in the circle on the charter that token is not available. For example, the Cotton which starts in Memphis has 3 round tokens for stations and one for stock - the one marked $100 on the charter is not available.

2) Correct. Last sentence of the second paragraph of Place Station Markers (bottom of page 20 in my book) covers this.

3) If equal value, farthest right takes precedence. Second sentence of second paragraph under Operating Round (page 19 in my book).

4) Hmm, moves left in 1830 too. The presence of a valid run is used for train requirements in 1830, but once you've floated your stock moves whether or not you have a valid run. See 8.2 4) in the 1830 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, #1 sure was confusing. #2 and #3, were tough to find while I had impatient learners and my last full read of the rules was a couple months ago and last 18xx game a year or more. #4, I probably knew that and the year of no 1830 left me forgeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weiss
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

When I play, we use the square chit to mark the destination station, we find this works better. There is a slight chance someone may try to reissue stock at 225 or higher creating a little confusion, but this would be extremely rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkweiss2 wrote:
When I play, we use the square chit to mark the destination station

What do you do with the round station marker chit intended to mark the destination station? Use it as a par value token? (This might be a good idea as a reminder that stations obtained free from a destination run don't occupy space.)

Or do you mean you use it to mark the destination for a company which hasn't yet made its destination run, and replace it with the round station marker when they obtain their station? This sounds like a really good idea, as it would make it much easier to see where a company is going (say if its destination city has track). You could use the round marker for the par value and switch them when the run is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weiss
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
mb
I use the round chit to mark par.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.