Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon 33, Elijah 29, Nadine 26, Adam 25

Only Adam had played this before, so we were able to approach the game unburdened by any understanding of strategy or prior opinion.

Overall, the game is fairly enjoyable once you get into the swing of things, and the mechanics work smoothly. It's not exactly a thrilling game, but I would certainly play it again.

New England feels like it's got a lot of clutter in it, even though the play is fairly elegant. It's kind of like marrying the simplicity of Santiago with the plant arranging in Power Grid. It all kind of works, but it feels like another few weeks of development could have pared it down just a bit better.

As an example, the player's choice at the start of each round as to how many cards vs tiles come out isn't a bad mechanism, but it doesn't feel like it's really necessary. It doesn't add enough to the game to warrant its inclusion. Another example is the poor choice of color and identity recognition. It is difficult at a glance to determine who owns what field and how many of each thing each person has. Another: you are not allowed to count the remaining tiles in the bag, but almost all of the non-remaining tiles are on the board; anyone with sense can just waste time counting them each round for a fairly close accounting.

As a side note, I have never seen a theme so divorced from the mechanics of a game. Even Through the Desert feels like it has a more coherent marriage of theme to mechanics. Trying to arrange three plots in a particular shape is the height of abstract game play.

In our game, Adam started off doing things that didn't seem to make much sense to us. We all figured out that extra income was a good idea, just like it is in every other game. However, he took a barn and a scoring tile very early and he paid a lot of money. This turned out to be a hindrance for him, as we spent no great amount of effort making it difficult for him to fulfill the scoring tile. He eventually got it scored, but it wasn't worth the effort to do so, in the end.

By the time it was done, I had more pilgrims than he did, and I scored four 6 point bonuses of my own. I ended with 4 pilgrims, 4 6-point tiles, one barn, and the bonus for most pilgrims. Elijah was using his ship here and there, but he was mostly bored with the game and sorry that we wouldn't let him quit to play Shadows Over Camelot.

Nadine seemed to like it, but only as a second tier game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.