Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second game of Power Grid for me (Yellow) and John (Blue) and the first for Sam (Red). Previous game I had missed the rule about taking the highest value power plant out of the market and so the game ended while it was still phase 2. Anyway we played on the France map with the 3 North-East segments. I started the first auction with a bid for plant 4, but Sam bid 5 and took it. I then bought plant 5 for 5. John bought plant 7. Sam played to Paris as did I, John played to Caen and Le Havre. We continued with my bidding for plant 10 and Sam taking it for 11, and my buying plant 11 for 11. John bought plant 3. Sam took the last Paris spot and Orleans, I took Rouen, and John didn't build anything. Sam bid 18 for the 18 Wind Farm and John bought it for 19. He then bought the 23 Nuclear for 23. I didn't buy anything as the market was 6,8,9,31 and I didn't want to spened 31. John played to Le Mans and Angers, I played to Amiens and Sam played to Tours.

The 29 now appeared, and Sam bid for it. I bid up to 35 and then let him take it for 36. The 26 appeared and I took it at cost. The 27 then appeared and John took it. John played to Calais, I played to Lille and Reims and Sam to Limoges.

I think Sam picked up the 15 in the next auction and John and I didn't take a plant. Anyway I played to Metz and Nancy, John to Renners and Sam didn't build as step 2 was about to start.

The mid-game progressed fairly smoothly. Sam bought the 25 for 30 and I bought the 20 for 20 later upgrading it to the 31 for 31, while John picked up the 31 for 31. Our houses mingled. At some point I got the 19, the only garbage plant in the whole game apart from the 6 (which was discarded without being bought). We entered step 3 fairly close together. I bought the 34 at cost, thus meaning I could power 17 cities, but I could only build to 16. Sam was in the same position, and John, who also built to 16, could only build 16 anyway. He had taken the 39 and Sam the 46. Next round John upgraded to 17 capacity. However, the supply of coal had been running low for some time, and by buying 6 coal instead of 3 I was able to prevent John from powering his 31 plant. There was 2 coal left which he could have bought but he didn't, allowing Sam just enough coal to power his 25. Both me and Sam bought one more city connection, up to 17, and at game end Sam had slightly more money than me and so won. I didn't do the math, but its quite possible that had I merely bought 3 coal I would have won. Sometimes it pays to be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.