Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, Jon, Brendan, Adam, Binaymin, Tikva Shira, Dylan

Neither David nor Dylan had played this, and I suspected that David would like it, so dragged him away after the first Magic game to play. I told them that they really needed almost no instructions on how to play. I taught them the rules in about three minutes, and then filled in the details as the game went on.

With seven players, it was almost inevitable that there would be a traitor, and usually it is Adam or Brendan that gets it. Amazingly enough, none of us were traitor. Still, the mechanic that made it likely that one of us might have been made for a crucial element in keeping the game interesting.

It is very hard to win the game, even without a traitor. David said at one point, when many catapults were arrayed against us and cards and casualties were mounting up, that he didn't think that we were doing very well. I told him that we were doing quite well, actually; this amount of damage was normal.

With some fancy footwork, we got the grail quickly and then beat off the Picts. I took out the Black Knight and Adam took out Lancelot. With six white swords, and the traitor still not revealed, the best course of action was then to take the grail while holding the catapults at bay.

We got the grail with a concerted effort, giving us nine white swords. Now the best way to win was to simply let the black swords fill in the rest of the slots before the catapults won. That is actually a rather strange twist in the mechanics. We ended up upping the number of swords we would lose due to the Saxons in order to end the game. We lost to the Saxons, the game ended, and we won.

I still think the game is generally rather dull, but I enjoyed this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phebus
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I played this game, semi-solitare style. She got 3 Knights, I got three Knights, tried to make decisions not based upon knowing your other Kinghts' cards, etc. No traitor in play. I didn't think it was dull at all! The tension was amazing, as we didn't know some of the tricks of the game, e.g., get more Knights to hop on a group quest towards the end, as all Knights can gain a life if it's successful, etc. The game is just hard enough to beat, and I look forward to a multiplayer game with the traitor in play. Downside: it really needs 5-7 players (and 6 or 7 better than 5). Other than that, the components are gorgeous (and I just ordered the "painted" Knights from my game store), the play complex. Learning it out of the box was a bit difficult, but teaching it quite easy. The approach I used was "We're going on some Quests", teaching the bare minimum to get started, and then teaching the quests as we went on them. Great Stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.