Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
osh+, Jon, Alan, Nadine

This is a relatively new game, and it was a first play for all of us. Nate brought it to Games Day.

It is a relatively quick and simple war game with several Eurogame elements. Essentially, there are four parts to every round: buy and place troop on your starting positions, move pieces one space each, fight anything in the same hex as you, receive income for each mine you control.

Combat is your simple "roll a d6" and compare to your unit type's ability to kill. Better units not only kill on lower numbers, but also roll first in combat. Adding to the complexity of the game, each player is dealt a "secret mission" card at the end of each round that gives them bonus points for occupying something or killing something or with something. And you can also get bonus action cards for losing a battle or for occupying the center hex.

The game has pretty, translucent pieces, although some of them are hard to distinguish from the others. There is some sort of thematic story involved, but it didn't marry that well with the mechanics.

The game has going for it that it has different avenues to success, and that it will most likely be a relatively short battle, as you simply play until twelve points. The pieces are balanced, and money is tight. The game seems to flow well, turn to turn. It has against it the method that the secret mission cards are distributed; once per round, at the end of your round.

Aside from making no thematic sense, this almost completely robs the game of certain strategic elements and introduces some senseless luck. I kind of understand the reason that they did it: it's so that you can build us missions and then score a lot at once, giving the game a kind of narrative flow. However, it would be much better to auction off the missions, lay them out and let the first player to complete them take them, or any other method that gives advanced planning to the game.

As a result, the game is just a flow of battles, back and forth. As a war game, it's not my type of game; I'm not drawn into rolling dice to see who wins battles. But if you're into that sort of thing, or you want a hybrid Euro/wargame, it is a very good game for that.

In our game, we started out discovering all the mines, and then flowed back and forth in our little battles. Josh got to the center hex and occupied it for most of the game, which gave him enough action cards to dominate his way to victory. It also helped him having made an alliance with Alan at once point, allowing him to leave one front unguarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had responded to this post with one possible explanation for the Secret Mission card mechanic, but I must have forgot to hit Submit (or my post was deleted?) ninja

Anyway, my thoughts on the thematic connection to the Mission and Secret Mission cards are as follows:
- As the leader of an advance strike force, your primary objective is to secure the moon and it's Rubium resources for your employer. That's why you get a Victory Point every time you will a battle on your turn. You're actively trying to take over the moon.
- To aid in taking over the moon, your employer wants to gather information about the moon, it's inhabitants, and the opposition. Assuming you are sending status reports back to your employer, they in turn send Secret Missions to you. These Secret Missions represent additional information your employer requires. As you complete these missions, you are strengthening your employer's intelligence position, which should help it ultimately conquer the moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you replied.

I managed to submit this as both session report and review simultaneously. I forgot.

That's what happens when you upload 6 months worth of material at once.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! I thought I was losing my mind. Wait...what were we talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.