Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
ayejae wrote:
I just recently played my first game, 3 players. Bunker, Wraith, and Tachyon vs. Baron Blade. We won, but it did feel more of a slog than expected. One card and action per turn felt a bit simple and restrictive, and holy cow there's a lot lot lot of reading.

One card and one action *is* restrictive, but it is more H cards and H actions if you remember to play as a team It means the villain is pressuring you as you struggle to build up.

Do you mean in terms of getting stuff done, as in you should be able to draw, play, and do 2 actions each turn instead of just 1, or is this more so an issue of lack of variety?

No I don't mean restrictive in a bad way. I mean it in a design choice way. No one in Sentinels is an island, and tou can't drop a killer hand in a go to ultra mega combo win (well not without lots of planning and prep) the restrictive nature means you *must* make choices, which is funny because it is one of those things some detractors seek to hold against it. (A lack of choice) Does bunker drop his grenade launcher now, or his heavy plating? Does he feed these thred cards to the omni cannon or save them? Etc.

If players could just do what twice as much not only would it invalidate some of the 'hooks' of some characters, it would horribly unbalance the game.

Imagine playing Pandemic where you only drew one outbreak card per turn. Bleck.

Yeah, I understand the concept -- with 3 heroes, we're theoretically playing 3 cards and 3 actions against the villain. It can just be a bit slow, it seems. I think once we get used to the cards, gameplay can speed up a bit. I know some people that hate games with tons of reading on the cards, so there are definitely people I'll never introduce this game to.

And, yeah, I had bunker the first time. I probably messed up, but I pretty much ran out of cards 2/3 of the way in and was just in turret mode (I don't remember the actual card name) for the rest of the game. I though it was interesting, but I pretty much couldn't draw cards anymore, lol. I know I could've discarded it, but it was already close to the end of the game, so I just went with it to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
ayejae wrote:
I just recently played my first game, 3 players. Bunker, Wraith, and Tachyon vs. Baron Blade. We won, but it did feel more of a slog than expected. One card and action per turn felt a bit simple and restrictive, and holy cow there's a lot lot lot of reading.

One card and one action *is* restrictive, but it is more H cards and H actions if you remember to play as a team It means the villain is pressuring you as you struggle to build up.

Do you mean in terms of getting stuff done, as in you should be able to draw, play, and do 2 actions each turn instead of just 1, or is this more so an issue of lack of variety?

No I don't mean restrictive in a bad way. I mean it in a design choice way. No one in Sentinels is an island, and tou can't drop a killer hand in a go to ultra mega combo win (well not without lots of planning and prep) the restrictive nature means you *must* make choices, which is funny because it is one of those things some detractors seek to hold against it. (A lack of choice) Does bunker drop his grenade launcher now, or his heavy plating? Does he feed these thred cards to the omni cannon or save them? Etc.

If players could just do what twice as much not only would it invalidate some of the 'hooks' of some characters, it would horribly unbalance the game.

Imagine playing Pandemic where you only drew one outbreak card per turn. Bleck.

Yeah, I understand the concept -- with 3 heroes, we're theoretically playing 3 cards and 3 actions against the villain. It can just be a bit slow, it seems. I think once we get used to the cards, gameplay can speed up a bit. I know some people that hate games with tons of reading on the cards, so there are definitely people I'll never introduce this game to.

And, yeah, I had bunker the first time. I probably messed up, but I pretty much ran out of cards 2/3 of the way in and was just in turret mode (I don't remember the actual card name) for the rest of the game. I though it was interesting, but I pretty much couldn't draw cards anymore, lol. I know I could've discarded it, but it was already close to the end of the game, so I just went with it to the end.

Yep turret mode is one of his two very good end gsme results ^^ drop flak cannon and grenade launcher then flip over and light 'em up. If you can have supply drop out you can use it to keeo drawing even in turret mode (when you detroy villain targets) his other big trick is drawing up a double fistfull of cards to power his omni cannon for a big boom.

Baron Blade is also 'cruise control' villain wise. Once you face up with some of the harder competition things will change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.