Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Due to recent price drop, looking seriously at attaining this game. Only come I've encountered have been the game being too "spreadsheet-like" but I do enjoy Hawaii (which also has the same critism). Love dice placement games and a challenge.

My current heavy games: Troyes, Brass, Fire in the Lake, Caverna, Twilight Struggle, Le Havre.

If you're fine with Fire In The Lake this'll be just fine I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Beverly Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely a step up from Le Havre and Caverna in terms of depth/complexity, but it is a pretty natural step, I think. I find that all the mechanisms of Madeira integrate well enough that, while it takes a bit to digest on the first play, it is fairly easy to manage on the second and later plays.

I've introduced Madeira to lots of people who were comfortable playing Puerto Rico, Agricola, Le Havre, Terra Mystica, etc. with generally favorable results. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone who dislikes the former games because they are too much work, too intense, or too thinky, as then Madeira would be a bit much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are ready to give it a shot. It might or might not work for you and your group, but there's only one way to find out.

Not super complex from a rules perspective (although not straightforward either) and a very strong rulebook as well as good player aids helps here. But many seem to have difficulty figuring out what they should do to make progress. I've had some bad experiences where people felt after round 1 that they had made irreparable mistakes and were pretty upset.

Some of these experiences also led the upset players to suggest the game in a future gaming session. So go figure. I've also managed this by going into the game with an explicit plan to call it after round 1 and start again, but not everyone is good with this system and it is not a short game even apart from that.

With all that, it's a candidate for my favorite game released from 2013. I like it quite a bit. I recommend you pick up the copy and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
ACtually, if I can piggyback on it, I got this just over a year ago and still haven't managed to get it to the table. I wanted a proper heavy euro, and went for this over Dominant Species etc.

But I've found I'm generally sick of WP games as a genre, and filling recipes and swapping resources for other resources (and meanwhile now have 25 martin wallace games). And whist I've been keen to play this I'm wondering if technically it'll not press any more buttons that, say, Viticulture, Yedo, Village, etc. outside of the actual complexity, and I'm left wondering if I should cut my losses in advance and sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
generally sick of WP games as a genre.

This one may be classified as worker placement, but it doesn't feel like worker placement as much to me. A hybrid of sorts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
ACtually, if I can piggyback on it, I got this just over a year ago and still haven't managed to get it to the table. I wanted a proper heavy euro, and went for this over Dominant Species etc.

But I've found I'm generally sick of WP games as a genre, and filling recipes and swapping resources for other resources (and meanwhile now have 25 martin wallace games). And whist I've been keen to play this I'm wondering if technically it'll not press any more buttons that, say, Viticulture, Yedo, Village, etc. outside of the actual complexity, and I'm left wondering if I should cut my losses in advance and sell it.
m

I've played viticulture, Yedo, and Village, and although I liked them, I enjoyed Madeira much more. It's lenghty to explain but not a hard game to play. This was my favorite game of 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
I admit being a Euro gamer its hard to wrap my brain around Fire in the Lake.

FitL is more Euro than War game.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

I'd definitely keep it, Chris. Madeira is not as dry as some other WP games I find. But I'm not quite sure why. Theme and mechanisms ate not as integrated as their next game, Panamax, or Wallace games but they don't feel as detached as e.g. ZhanGuo either. This is probably the only WP games I've bought that I haven't already sold or am thinking about selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls